JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IMON-Pad protocol help?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: IMON-Pad protocol help? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to control a recently built HTPC, which is using a Imon IR receiver. The remote that came with the system is a IMON-Pad. It looks like there has been quite a bit of discussion about the protocol it uses (see here, here, or here).

There are a number of files in the diagnosis area: learned data set 1, set 2, set 3; PDF of protocol format; updated lircd config file for iMON-Pad remote.

It appears that this remote won't play nice without a custom protocol upgrade... I would be very grateful if one of the experts could look at the info and create one.

Please let me know if there is any other information you could use (for example if there's anything that needs testing, or if yet another set of learned data would be useful).

Thanks,
Dave
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dave,
Do you have a JP1 remote and is it a learning remote? If so, could you learn a few signals from your iMon remote just to verify that it uses the same signals as the ones discussed in those threads. There was a suggestion that some iMon remotes use the NEC protocol, and if yours is just such a remote, it would be easy to create an upgrade for it based on your learned signals, but otherwise it would require that someone take the time to dig through all that old iMon data.
dsw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I do have a JP1 learning remote. I've created a new dump with a few learned signals. It is here in the diagnosis area. The signals are learned to the cable device.

I think my imon remote is one of the strange protocol ones, though. IR didn't recognize the learned data...

Also, I tried to create a protocol with protocol builder to attempt to emulate the strange protocol. It seems to almost work. I built it with three 6-bit command bytes, and two 7-bit device bytes, then tried to code the constant bits which are before and between the command bits into the 18 bits of command. It is on the cable device, and I only programmed one key - number 0. If I had gotten it right, it should have sent OBC 255. It seems to send an inconsistent signal -- it's not always recognized as the same pattern. It is, however much more consistent than anything else I've thrown at this IR receiver (I've tried NEC, RC-5, RC-6, Sony, Panasonic). I saw a rumor online somewhere that some of the newer iMON devices will understand MCE remotes, so I also tried the media center protocol from here, but that didn't work either.

As I understand it, the problem is that the iMON receiver decodes the signals in addition to demodulating. This is unlike most of the IR receivers that lirc can use which simply demodulate. So, I get data from the receiver even when I send the wrong protocol, it's just that the data is random. My protocol-builder attempt is the closest I've come to the original remote's repeatability. The lirc decode only has a few bits that change randomly (much improved compared to the other tries where most of the bits change randomly).

Thanks,
Dave
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the upgrade that I created before that just sends the POWER button to see if that works with your iMon?
dsw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I actually forgot about that upgrade. I plead information overload...

I'll try it tonight and let you know what happens (I'm at work now, and don't have the remote or the HTPC here).

Dave
dsw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I tried the upgrade, but I think maybe I was doing something wrong. I think the upgrade code was for a different remote, since it put the command on the rewind key instead of power... I tried changing it to the power key, but ended up with the same result.

It looks like it was trying to send hex command E3, with fixed data of 4A. Was that your intention?

The remote locks up when I press the programmed key (in either setup -- your upgrade with the command on REW, or mine with the command on Power). The red light stays on continuously, like the remote got stuck in an infinite loop. I had to pull a battery to reset it.

What remote (or what type) was the protocol for? I have a C7 (URC7800).

Thanks,
Dave
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, that upgrade was formatted for a URC-8910 remote, you will need a different protocol for the URC-7800, try this...

Upgrade Code 0 = 08 00 (Cable/0000) iMon-Pad POWER button (KM v9.08a)
FF 00 00 21 4A E3
End

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 FF (S3C8) Custom Protocol for Cable/0000 iMon-Pad POWER button (KM v9.08a)
42 89 11 8B 11 00 00 DC 02 55 00 DC 03 F6 02 55
02 55 12 16 18 1A 6C 02 87 36 02 4C 04 58 C3 56
C5 03 87 15 1E F6 01 39 E0 C3 E0 C3 4A EF 6A E8
1C 16 F6 01 39 1C 16 F6 01 39 C6 F8 F0 3C F6 01
45 F6 01 0A 7B D0 AF
End
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a first draft of an upgrade for the iMon, give it a whirl...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4879
dsw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

The power button upgrade didn't quite work. It does better than my best attempt, but lirc still doesn't see consistent codes (which means that the iMON receiver still isn't quite happy).

I'm not sure why it's unhappy, though. I captured the signals from both the original remote and your upgrade and they look pretty similar. The original remote sends the first IR sequence when you press the button, then has quite a long delay before starting to repeat the sequence, so the original remote only captured one set of the sequence.

I've attached the data here.

It's captured with Tommy's original IR capture device (the one that only runs in DOS, and was really annoying to build). The on and off times are in microseconds, and cycles is the number of carrier cycles in the on-burst. I think the software neglects to clear the buffer between captures, so the third trace (original remote after capturing your upgrade) only has new data down through line 10.

The only difference that I see is a few on bursts are shorter in your upgrade (by about 90 usec), but according to the PDF, each bit time is 852 usec. Unless we got unlucky with edge positioning, it seems like your upgrade should have worked...

Any ideas?

Dave
dsw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

On second thought, there were 4 on-bursts that were 90us short. That makes 360us short for the sequence, which is approaching half a bit time. That might be enough to cause inaccurate reads.

Dave
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not worry about the POWER upgrade, let's focus on the new master upgrade that I have created. This new upgrade doesn't yet have the long gap between the 1st and 2nd data packet because I don't know how long to make it. Were you able to record the length of that gap using Tommy's device?

Also, the ON times are not constant like they are in the original, so you will see small OFF times interspersed, but I'm hoping that as long as those gaps don't occur when a pick occurs, we should be OK.
dsw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Well, the new upgrade doesn't quite work either... Some of the buttons are pretty consistent, but others get very random lirc data. None of them seem to be quite as solid as the original remote.

The delay between the 1st and 2nd data packets is quite long -- too long for Tommy's device. From the indicator light on the remote, it seems to be about 0.5 sec. It's kind of like the repeat function on a keyboard. When you hit the key, it sends the command once, then if you hold it down, about 0.5s later, it starts sending a repeating stream of commands. The receiver recognizes a single command, and when the remote starts sending repeated commands, the receiver recognizes a bunch of commands (one for each packet sent).

I've captured some more data from the original remote, and from your new upgrade. It is here.

The first four captures are from the original remote, then there are four from your upgrade protocol, and then the last one is from the original remote again. For the last one, I blocked the IR signal with my hand until the remote started its quick repeat, then moved my hand to allow the capture.

From the upgrade protocol, power and left click (rob_pwr and rob_lt_clk) seemed to be pretty consistent in lirc, and 0 and play (rob_0 and rob_play) seemed very random. It looks like the upgrade is sending different command data than the original remote, though.

It also looks like your upgrade uses several different bit times (I think -- maybe I'm just confused). The original remote is very consistent, and seems to use a bit time of 835us (despite the PDF saying it should be using 852us). It seems to use three different burst pairs. A 1 that is followed by another 1 seems to be [+835, -0], a 1 that is followed by a 0 seems to be [+440, -395], and a 0 seems to be [+0, -835].

Actually, scratch that. I got it backwards. Long on-bursts encode a 0, long off-bursts encode a 1. So, the three pairs are:
0 bit followed by another 0 = [+835, -0]
0 bit followed by a 1 = [+440, -395]
1 bit = [+0, -835]

Then the power button from the original remote decodes to:
00101000_10010001_00010101_10110111_1...1

which matches the data format from the PDF (and also explains why the PDF shows the IR signal as high before and after the command sampling -- from their point of view, no IR hitting the sensor = 1).

Does any of this help?

Dave
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Dave, you're doing too much, all I need to know is whether the signals work with the iMon itself. I know the format of the original signal and I am aware of how my signal differs. This was just an experiment.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UEI has just sent me their official code for this, which I assume works. Here's the file...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4879

This code uses 3 variable bytes of data, so as soon as I get a chance, I will try editing the executor to use just 1 variable byte, which will reduce the overall size of the upgrade.
dsw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I tried the UEI official code, but it was for a 8910 remote. I tried switching it to a 7800 in RM, but I guess the protocol code didn't get switched over for the different remote. It locks up whenever I press a button...

Could you maybe port their protocol to the right format for a 7800?

Thanks,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: