JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Updated Extinstall - what would you like to see
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: new version posted Reply with quote

same link, new version that fixes a couple of things and (hopefully) works with Vicky's Jp1.2 extender.

This version also ignores the [notes] section (previous version threw an error) and has some of the underlying code that will be saving and transferring notes.

enjoy
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran that VS file you linked to to build the runtimes. Then, using command line sequence, I tried it. This time I get another error
"Upgrade pointer at address $0000 points to $FFFF, which is out of range".
I tried on jp1 remotes 6131,7800,8910 as before.
I didn't try it from IR.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, it worked from IR !! Very Happy
Quick visual inspection - things look fine. I'll do a byte for byte compare in excel tomorrow. The only issues I have are few for the 6131, the same as in the previous ExtInstall. So things are intact at this point. I think 7800 and 8910 are very good conversions.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general when you get the "Upgrade pointer at address $0000 points to $FFFF, which is out of range" error, Extinstall couldn't find the RDF and it's shooting in the dark on where to put things.

I think that this is something that I should fix, but I'm concentrating on getting the comment stuff done. (I'm close)

BTW, for "byte for byte comparisions" I've used this thing I found called EXAMDIFF that compares text files. It's actually quite good, and free.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byte-by-byte compare old vs your extinstall is perfect.
Vicky's needs are priority, followed by Notes/Comments, I agree.

RDF? OK, yesterday your extinstall and source and hex files were NOT in the \IR directory.
Today they are and I get the same error $0000 and $FFFF thing. How can I tell extinstall where RDFs are?

The old extinstall put out 3-digit addresses, good to see 4-digit jobs here.

ExamDiff - thanks. The free version can't compare hex Sad not needed here, but that's why I forgot about it.
For text files, at work, I used Seapine SCM, it's really cool.
But excel is here always, and B1=(MID(A1,5,LEN(A1))=MID(C1,6,LEN(C1))) does the job.

unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless a directory is specified, Extinstall tries to find the files in the same directory as Extinstall is in. (I'm pretty sure on this, I've not traced the paths through this part of the code)

glad to see that this does the job right! Vicky has a version as of today that should work on installing her extender into her IR file. (the 4-digit addresses are for her since her hex files have to start at $EC00

-bill
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you!!!! This works. This is making my life much more pleasant.
Testing sucks, especially when you can't type. You are my hero!
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, THUMBS UP to BILL Very Happy

Bill, you're right on the money.
I can confirm that your extinstall works from the command line, once relevant RDFs are included in the same directory. No different from the run triggered by IR and the previous extinstall.

Before final release, can we still have a chance for few requests beyond notes? Both old and yours don't translate the right side of the general tab for 6131 correctly. Nothing terrible, but could be changed if you so wish.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz

Say more about the 6131, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I'd like to see is the same upgrade overflow routine as IR uses, but for now I'm just going to change my upgrade boundries for testing purposes.

I've been advised to leave the upgrade area smaller, because IR will handle that, but in my case that leaves a tiny upgrade area with a huge keymove area, so I'm cool with just changing the boudries.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
Say more about the 6131, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

That's because I said nothing yet Smile but saw two red flags.

1. General tab: My VPT device was AUD. VPT got moved to TV. But it's not important, since macros take over anyway, and it used what the hex file provides.

2. Pause keymoves were not built on the Special Protocols but as normal keymoves using the KM/RM pause protocol and the translation is not correct. I wonder if this might affect similar keymoves. Here we go:
Unextended file
Quote:
TV-Phantom4,<N/A>,TV,2047,$10 or $00 $92
AUD-Phantom4,<N/A>,TV,2047,$C0 or $00 $0C

Extinstall translation, now in the Special Protocols section
Quote:
TV,Phantom4,Pause,$00 $92
AUD,Phantom4,Pause,$00 $0C

In this instance the intent was to retain the left most values from the old keymove nightmare, i.e. expected results are $10 and $C0 for the two pause values which in the standard 6131 IR indeed coded the intended $10 as $10 or $00 $92 because of the goofy unextended keymoves.

This might be an example of exception for translation, in that all other keymoves need to use the rightmost pair. Thinking out loud - now that I think of it - how is extinstall to know that tv/2047 was a pause protocol and therefore handle differently. Would it be by the use of $1FB?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

1. General tab: My VPT device was AUD. VPT got moved to TV. But it's not important, since macros take over anyway, and it used what the hex file provides.

2. Pause keymoves were not built on the Special Protocols but as normal keymoves using the KM/RM pause protocol and the translation is not correct. I wonder if this might affect similar keymoves. Here we go:
Unextended file
Quote:
TV-Phantom4,<N/A>,TV,2047,$10 or $00 $92
AUD-Phantom4,<N/A>,TV,2047,$C0 or $00 $0C

Extinstall translation, now in the Special Protocols section
Quote:
TV,Phantom4,Pause,$00 $92
AUD,Phantom4,Pause,$00 $0C

In this instance the intent was to retain the left most values from the old keymove nightmare, i.e. expected results are $10 and $C0 for the two pause values which in the standard 6131 IR indeed coded the intended $10 as $10 or $00 $92 because of the goofy unextended keymoves.

This might be an example of exception for translation, in that all other keymoves need to use the rightmost pair. Thinking out loud - now that I think of it - how is extinstall to know that tv/2047 was a pause protocol and therefore handle differently. Would it be by the use of $1FB?

I think that IR is doing this to you and not Extinstall. pays no attention whatsoever to the data that's in keymoves, upgrades and protocols other than to copy (and in the case of some keymoves/macros translate) the headers and put them in the right spot. IR then interprets what is left behind.

The stuff that is "outside" of the extender is copied directly from whatever file has a "valid" number in there. (if the extender hex file has a valid entry, it wins) so I'd bet that the extender hex didn't have something where the VPT stuff was stored so it got copied from the original and then got misinterpreted by IR.

I hope that made sense, I'm still struggling with some of the syntax of C++ and Extinstall but I'm close to having the comments done. (all of my internal structures have the comments in them and merged, I now just need to get them put back in the output file in the right order. One piece at a time as I learn this stuff!)

let me think more about what happened to your 6131 and see what I can come up with. (was it a 6131 LONG advcode format translation to a 6131EXT "old" advcode format?) did that all work?

-bill
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff is addicting sickness! Smile

I don't know Bill. I've never used 6131 unextended. The file I'm using is one I put together to experiment on things. That said, after extinstall translates, the pause values have two bytes instead of one and it's wrong. I just zipped it up so you can see it, because I won't use the correct words to describe.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4892
Put std and extended side by side and you'll see what I attempted to describe. Hex file included but you won't need it for the pause thing. Yeah, pause worked in std as a keymove. But needed editing after translation.
joedaring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill..

I have the feeling that the notes' transport feature doesn't work properly yet, at least on my setup and converting my current 9960B01 Ext101 file to the latest Ext103 using your latest .hex file for the extender and the RDF you provided..

It seems that, instead of carrying over the notes, it carries in the notes sections some small parts of the device or the protocol itself, but don't quote me on this.. see for yourself, as I'm not ashamed to declare that I am not able to read anything from the code!

I have upload the source file and the output file here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4897
...please have a look when you have time..

Ciao Bill, and thanks

Pippo "Joe"

Oh! And I've been dumb enough to delete from my disk the previous Extinstall-2 version that ignored notes but seemed to translate fine between extenders' versions... Embarassed

Last edited by joedaring on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came here to download the newest ExtInstall, I'm glad I have the heads-up to keep my current version just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: