JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Updated Extinstall - what would you like to see
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Updated Extinstall - what would you like to see Reply with quote

Update: 8/3/07

I've uploaded a new version of Extinstall-2 that implements the following:

1: supports $FF section terminators. Will allso fill empty memory with the opposite of the section terminator to allow easy location of unused memory.

2: supports LONG format Advance codes used in some of the newer remotes. Will translate between Advance code formats when the extender is different than the base remote (ie: URC-6131)

3: preliminary support for JP1.x extenders by supporting the BaseAddress specified in the RDF. To use this you will have to use the

Code:
 -signature=$xxxx

command to specifiy where in the IR or HEX file the signature is located. This MUST be the last item on the command line, ie:

Code:
 extinstall-2 hexfile inputfile outputfile -signature=EC00

4: copies and merges comments from the HEX and IR file into the output file.

The download is in the diagnosis area here until I get a sense that people are not having issues with the software.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4859

Original Post:

I'm going to try to tackle updating Extinstall. John sent me the source code, I finally got my Visual Studio up and running again and a version of the source that will compile and deliver the same results as the old version did.

My hit parade right now is:

1: deal with the $FF section terminator in the newer remotes
2: deal with the LONG advance code format
3: possibly deal with keeping the comments in the input IR file if I can keep them in sync with the merged IR file.
4: make extinstall work for a JP1.x remote (since there are people working on extenders for those)

Any other suggesitons while I'm in there under the hood?

BTW, I *THINK that dealing with the LONG advance code format will allow Extinstall to insert the extender into a remote that has the LONG format even though the extender does not use that format (ie: URC-6131) Should that be a design goal? I don't think it'll be too hard.

Last edited by unclemiltie on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for the experts:

Extinstall currently fills any unused EEPROM with $FF. Since I'm going to the trouble of knowing the difference between $00 terminated lists and $FF terminated lists, should I fill with the SectionTerminator?

IR doesn't seem to care as long as the lists are terminated correctly, but maybe I'm missing something.

-bill
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer filling unused areas with FF regardless of the SectionTerminator value.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a practical POV, it doesn't matter whether you fill with FFs or 00s, but from a validation POV, I would have thought that you would want to fill with the opposite value.

As you may know, IR has a feature that will fill the entire EEPROM with FFs, so that you can then do a 981 reset to get what we call a "virgin" image. Once the remotes with FF terminators showed up, we had to add a 2nd feature that would fill the remote with 00s, so we could see the terminators.

So, my vote would be to fill with the opposite value, but I'm not opposed to going the other way.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob

I like your suggestion, that way it is very clear what is used and what is not.

thanks
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Trial version posted Reply with quote

I've uploaded a trial version that implements support for SectionTerminator=&FF, AdvCodeBindType=LONG and "transcoding" between the two AdvCodeBindTypes.

This version DOES NOT support JP1.x extenders. That's a much bigger undertaking than this quick fix, andI'm working on it.

the file is here:

As always, be kind. I'm still new to this C++ stuff and John's code was a stretch to my limited C++ knowledge. (there are still things in there that I don't yet understand, but I didn't need to touch that so I didn't care!)

If you find a bug please let me know. I'll need the input IR file, the hex IR file and the "correct" results from the old version of Extinstall so that I can see what I did wrong.

-bill
joedaring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellò Bill..

I'm keeping an eye on this thread...

Is this version OK for use with your 9960 B01 Extender ?

Do I need anything else to try and use it?

Thanks Bill... have a nice weekend

Pippo "Joe"
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

yes, in fact this version was done BECAUSE I wanted to use Extinstall with the 9960B01 extender.

The only thing you would need is the HEX version of the extender to allow you to install the extender into your existing configuration. I've just uploaded a new version of the 9960B01 and 6960B00 extender that includes the hex files.

The new distribution is here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4813
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool project, thanks for working on it Smile
Looking forward to preseve the NOTES.

I used this file
not the one in the post above.

I get IR error big red X.
Quote:
System Error. Code: 14001.
The application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

In case I messed up, here's what I did.
1. Unzipped extinstall-2 and put it in the same directory where IR is, and set path to IR just in case.
2. Opened standard, unextended, old, IR file from another directory.
3. Asked to merge extender hex file from still another directory (yeah, they're all over the place in case that matters)
4. Entered filename for saving the merged file in the same directory where hex file is, hit enter and got the error.

Same result on 8910, 6131(has funny keymoves), 7800. All jp1.
Am I messing up something?
What application config isn't right?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it from within IR yet can you do me a favor and run it from a DOS prompt (C:> extinstall hexfile input.ir output.ir) and tell me what happens?

maybe I did something to the file that broke the compatibility with IR.

-bill

(PS. I'm now reading comments and keeping track of them, next is getting them back in the merge. If I can ever get some time to work on it!)
joedaring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
Same error as Elizabeth here..

Tried to run from dos, and doesn't work either...

When running from dos the error message says, more or less (MSG is in Italian on my system) "Cannot run specified program"

Looking forward to your fix! Smile

Now for a weird thing I would like to try...

Can this extinstall method work for merging the NEW 1.03 .hex extender file into my previous EXTENDED 1.01 .ir file I've been using so far?

Or should I bite the bullet and do everything again for this time?

Ciao Bill, thanks for your efforts!
Pippo
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I have an issue with some form of the Visual C redistributable libraries that are required for MFC applications? I'm not an expert in this area and (funny enough) don't have a system here that doesn't have Visual Studio on it so I can't make this happen. hmmm, I'm going to have to look into this. Let me see if I can boot my work laptop to the "corporate issued" partition which doesn't have studio on it and see what happens.

as for Joe's question: This should allow you to install the extender into an existing extended 9960B01 remote. The syntax is the same, ie:

Extinstall 9960ext.hex 9960-old.ir 9960-new.ir

The way that Extinstall works is that it opens the files, searches through them for all of the keymoves, macros, etc and then if it is installing into an extender file it will then take all of the keymoves, macros, devices, protocols from the "old" configuration and insert them into the extender file. (taking into account duplicates of course) So you'll end up with the new extender with all of your old configuration info in it.

-bill
joedaring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
thanks for the explanation.. just one doubt... does the different RDFs between extenders' version cause any trouble?

I see your latest distribution includes new RDFs to take into account the different memory allocations etc...

Of course I'll have to wait until you fix your Extinstall to try and use the tool, as I get the same error that Elizabeth describes...

But there's no hurry!

Thanks and ciao!

Pippo
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From cmd it wouldn't work for me either
extinstall 8910ex1.hex 8910-IR-beforeExtender.IR 8910-viaNewExtinstall.IR
Error was "The system cannot execute the specified program."
I ran sysinternals FileMon - no errors
I ran sysinternals ProcMon - all sort of information there, well beyond my skills,
so I filtered the trace for just this process and upladed as CSV file which opens in Excel. Perhaps some clues there. I just don't know what are normal Windows errors and what are relevant. Fast IO, things not found in the registry, etc.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4868
I have admin rights. It's XP-home.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've successfully made this version work on a machine that did not have the build environment installed. Since I'm using Visual Studio 2005 (VC++ 8) you need the VS 8 run time libraries from Microsoft. Most people probably only have the VS 6 and VS 7 runtimes installed.

you can get the download from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

it's 2.6MB, download and install and this version of Extinstall should work. I'll probably post another one tonight that I've fixed a few things AND this version at least ignores the [notes] section (but doesn't process it yet) so that you don't have to edit your IR file.

in the mean time, pound away on the version that I posted the other day!

THANKS to Vickyg for finding the answer to this for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: