JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you use an USB-UIRT?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue remote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Can you use an USB-UIRT? Reply with quote

Hello . . .

I'm just learning. I used my #9910 to learn from my GPX DVD original remote and then built a RM upgrade from the learned keys.

I have a USB-UIRT. I was wondering if i can use it to learn instead of using my remote? That would seem to be easier then learning groups of keys into my remote.

Using the IRLearn program I get a code that says it is in Proto Format.

Can I use this to build a RM upgrade or is there some better way of using the USB-UIRT to learn codes to build an upgrade?

Thanks!

rb

Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you use an USB-UIRT? Reply with quote

blue remote wrote:
Using the IRLearn program I get a code that says it is in Proto Format.

Pronto Hex is good. I don't know any better way to use a USB UIRT for JP1 (I didn't know there was a way to get Pronto Hex).

Get The JP1 version of IrTool.exe and get DecodeIR.dll

www.remotecentral.com/.../IRTool-Mod.zip
http://john.fine.home.comcast.net/ir/Decode_IR_DLL.zip

You can paste Pronto Hex into IrTool and press Decode to get a JP1 compatible decode from DecodeIr.dll in a pop up window.
blue remote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That seems to be what I was looking for.

From the little bit I have tried, that should fe easier then all the learning keys in groups. Now I can just get the code and convert it as I go. I should end up with less confusion since I can do each key as I capture it.

Thanks again!

br

Thanks!
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this how do you use a usbuirt device with this anyway how does the signal get into what program can read the input from the usbuirt then that you can get the code from
I know I can use girder or net remote that read coides read thru usbuirt but not what will read it into any jp program
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I s/l irlearn from the usb-uirt users group now it can read my remote signals into pronto hex how do I convert that to be used with the JR prorams it would be nice if Ir learn utility xould read the usb-uirt and directly convet them directly for use in the program but it only covers parallel interfaces only and I .ve yet to find one out there.I have three uab 1 serial ir receivers but no pareel one and parallel and serial are becoming archaic anyway
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
I s/l irlearn from the usb-uirt users group

Try typing a bit more carefully. No one cares about a few typos. But you have enough typos to make your questions hard to understand. That will reduce the number or quality of answers you get.

When asking about things (irlearn in this case) that you found elsewhere on the internet, it is usually a good idea to post the URL where you found it. You're unlikely to find a JP1 expert who already knows much (if anything) about irlearn. But if we look at the site where you got it, we may understand something we can then use to help you.

chelli1501 wrote:
now it can read my remote signals into pronto hex how do I convert that to be used with the JR prorams

That is exactly what I answered (with two URLs) in my previous post in this thread. If that answer wasn't enough, you'll need to ask a more specific question (what aspect of that answer didn't work for you).

chelli1501 wrote:
it would be nice if Ir learn utility xould read the usb-uirt and directly convet them directly for use in the program

If you find source code for Irlearn, someone here might consider adding that feature. Source code for DecodeIr and various programs that call it are already posted. You might want to point that out to whoever maintains irlearn.

chelli1501 wrote:
but it only covers parallel interfaces only and I .ve yet to find one out there.I have three uab 1 serial ir receivers but no pareel one and parallel and serial are becoming archaic anyway

That part of your post is too confused to answer. Are you talking about CaptureIR? What is "uab"?
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found irlearn on
http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/index.php
but not certain what exact link it was located at

also registered there but it still doesn't accept my username and password even after confirming the registration so if you're thinking of registering there may just forget about it as there is no admin to contact.

Didn't quie understand what you said earlier til just now how to convert it
the4 first reply I wsent I couldn't even understand it then
i was referring to CaptureIR to accept all forms of import and not just paralell only
and uab is usb mistyped use a liittle intuitive reading as the a is adjacent to the s on the keyboard geesh
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
use a liittle intuitive reading as the a is adjacent to the s on the keyboard geesh
Meet us halfway and proofread what you type before you hit the Submit button.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
a liittle intuitive reading

Good suggestion. All the information you need is already posted in some thread here or in the forum on usb-uirts. With a little intuitive reading you could understand it all yourself, so I guess you don't need further help.
sfhub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
I s/l irlearn from the usb-uirt users group now it can read my remote signals into pronto hex how do I convert that to be used with the JR prorams it would be nice if Ir learn utility xould read the usb-uirt and directly convet them directly for use in the program but it only covers parallel interfaces only and I .ve yet to find one out there.I have three uab 1 serial ir receivers but no pareel one and parallel and serial are becoming archaic anyway

Michelle, did you actually go out and purchase a USB-UIRT hardware device? It looks like this:
http://www.usbuirt.com/

Please just answer yes or no.

It seems like you are going off on a tangent by getting a second device to decode your IR into pronto hex, then trying to convert that back into something JP1 can use.

All you really need to do is learn the buttons on your JP1 remote (which you indicated you owned, on a different thread), download that into IR, and look at the "Learned Signals" tab. That should tell you all you need to know to create or update the device upgrade using KM (Keymap-Master) or RM (RemoteMaster). It should tell you the protocol, device, subdevice, and OBC/EFC information.
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did bu a usbuirt from usbuirt.com
I use it for Sage and to control my a/v devices on the computer
orignally had nothing to to do with JP!
sfhub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you:
1) learn the IR functions on your JP1 remote
2) download the information into IR
3) upload the IR file here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=35

I will look at the IR file and create the upgrade for you with reasonable button mappings. If you need to customize it further, you will at least need to learn to use KM.
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried that route already keep getting a mem full error when I tried to teach the remote and I only 5 of 8 devices programmed into it and all are needed
and yes I can d/l the info into IR
need to learn addaitional keys as the dsl 320 given me were not programmed in such as the stop fff frw syop and mode butons are not mapped out and those are essential keys as well
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Michelle. I will try to walk you by the hand through what is clearly described in the documents to which you have been referred a dozen times already:

(1) READ THIS (if you're using RM rather than KM, READ THIS);

(2) More specifically to your question above, READ PARA 6 of either of those docs. (THIS ONE for RM);

(3) Even more specifically, do the following:
Quote:
To create an upgrade yourself, here's what you do. First, download your remote's current memory and save it. You can always use this file to restore the remote to it's current condition later, if needed. Next, delete any learned signals that are already in the remote. The easiest way to do this is to go to the "Learned Signals" tab in IR and click the "Delete All" button, then reload. To do it using the remote itself, for non LCD remotes, you can use the 980 command, and for LCD remotes, you can select "OPS RESET" from the LCD menu screens.

Next up, you'll need to learn as many buttons from your original remote as you can. Most JP1 learning remotes can only learn about 24 buttons before the memory is full, so it's probably going to take a couple of passes to capture all the buttons from the original remote. I recommend that you start off learning all the buttons that have equivilent buttons on the JP1 learning remote (eg, the numeric buttons, volume and channel buttons, etc). When you reach the memory limit, download the memory and save the file. Then delete all the learned signals like you did before and continue learning. As soon as you reach the memory limit again, or you run out of buttons to learn, download and save the file.

(4) Use the decoded data to create upgrades in KM and/or RM.

If any particular step is unclear, ask a specific, clearly-stated question about the particular step.

If IR is not showing useful decode information, upload your misbehaving IR file(s) to the diagnosis area (there is an "UPLOAD" button near the top of the linked screen) and provide a link (or links) in this thread and somebody may attempt help you with decodes and building an upgrade.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
sfhub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
tried that route already keep getting a mem full error when I tried to teach the remote and I only 5 of 8 devices programmed into it and all are needed
and yes I can d/l the info into IR
need to learn addaitional keys as the dsl 320 given me were not programmed in such as the stop fff frw syop and mode butons are not mapped out and those are essential keys as well

I don't think you are understanding what we (or I) am proposing.

The point isn't to permanently use learning to supplement your missing keys. The point is to use learning so I (or you) can create a single device upgrade with all your buttons mapped to the functions you want *without* needing any learning.

If you've already tried that route of learning the functions, decoding in IR, and entering the decodes into the dsm 320 KM/RM device upgrade, then by the third iteration of doing so (5-8 learns x 3) you should have at least 15 functions added to your dsm 320 upgrade. I can't believe you need to learn more functions than that, so I'm concluding you only learned the functions and didn't go through the step of updating the device upgrade.

Sorry I have to go through such long answers but it isn't clear from your responses what you have or haven't tried before moving off to use USB-UIRT, which as I mentioned earlier is an inefficient roundabout way to accomplish what you want.

I have come to the conclusion it will take much longer to communicate the process to you than it would if you just gave me the data and I did everything for you. That is why I am proposing you learn the buttons you need and upload the file. You can learn them in different sets and upload separate files if necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: