JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GPX D1816SIL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue remote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: GPX DVD Power not working Reply with quote

Hello . . .

1. Device: GPX D1816SIL
2. Type of device: DVD
3. Year: 2007
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: 9910
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? Couldn't find one - Built RM upgrade
10. Learning remote question? Unable to get the POWER button to work

I'm just starting to figure out how to use JP1 to build my #9910 into all it can be. If my questions are "simple" to those who "know", please forgive me. I have so many ideas and concepts I'm learning, I'm probably missing something obvious. Thanks!

I posted a RM file into the file section. I used the original remote to learn into my #9910, used RM to put them together, and then uploaded it back to my remote. VERY COOL!! Once I grasped the concept, it worked really well without too many problems. Thanks to those who worked to build such a great program!

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4772

Everything is working great as posted except the power key doesn't work with the code that i learned from the original to my #9910. What did I miss?

Also, since this was my 1st RM upgrade build, please let me know if i failed to do anything or could do it better. Thanks again!

br

Thanks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually in cases likle this, it is MORE helpful for you to provide the IR file with the LEARNED signals as well as the IR file with your UPGRADE loaded to help try to narrow down any problem.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
blue remote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy of the IR file that has the GPX DVD RM upgrade loaded on it as #2001 - DVD. and the GPX Power Key Learned from the original remote on the L1 key. (I assume I need to DL the file to Diagnose for others to check it, correct?)

Here is the link . . . http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4774

I also tried the USB-UIRT to learn the key. When I decoded the proto hex I got the same thing . . . EFC 116 etc.

Here is the hex code if it helps . . .

0000 006C 0022 0002 0157 00AD 0015 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0015 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0015 0016 0016 0016 0016 0040 0016 0041 0015 0041 0016 0040 0016 0041 0015 0041 0016 0040 0016 0041 0015 0016 0016 0016 0016 0040 0016 0016 0016 0040 0016 0016 0016 0016 0015 0016 0016 0041 0015 0041 0016 0016 0015 0041 0016 0016 0015 0041 0016 0040 0016 0041 0015 05F3 0157 0056 0016 0E57

THANKS!!

br

Thanks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a Keymove from the VCR device mode on the DVD:Power button. That Keymove is overriding your DVD:Power function.

Uhhh... what is the AMP/0195 device upgrade being used for? It has no buttons assigned, nor do you use it in any Keymoves.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
blue remote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaaaa . . . As I said, I'm just starting to get a feel for making everything work together. Thanks! I never thought to check for an old keymove somehow having control of that key. Also, the device code you mentioned was left over from some earlier try to get my Sony receivers test tone working right. Both are now deleted and the Power on the DVD works fine! I ended up with a DVD upgrade that is not only on my 9910, but much easier to use then the original remote that is really stupid in it's layout.

Question . . . Are there "rules" that I might have failed to follow when building my upgrade with RM. I added all the functions I use from the remote and mapped them to where they make sense for me, then deleted everything else that was not being used. Everything turned out great function wise. I just wanted to make sure no "rule" that maybe uses too much memory etc. was broken.

Now i feel a little more confident to fine tune the Sony upgrade! I never owned the original remote for it so it was a little hit and miss . . . until doing this and finally figuring out some of the SW finer features. Now I think I can build a working upgrade to work the way I want.

THANKS AGAIN!!

br

Thanks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no rules other than what suits you. Occasionally there are tricks or techniques that one can use to economize on memory, but you seem to not require any of those yet, so don't worry.

One comment about "deleting" unused functions. It is considered a good practice to KEEP all of the known/identified functions in any device upgrade, in case you (or another user - you of course uploaded your upgrade into the file area, right? Wink ) wants to use them at some point in the future. Leaving extra FUNCTIONS in an upgrade file does NOT use memory in the remote unnecessarily. Only those functions assigned to BUTTONS in the upgrade will occupy memory in the remote.

Amazon Firestick
blue remote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and thoughts!

Yes, I already Uploaded the RM file to the DVD section. It was the first GPX DVD listed, so I hope it helps someone. The only issue with it; I made a note in the file that the "power" was not functioning yet. How can the file be modified to delete my note? It should work as uploaded since my RM file was correct, the problem being the VCR key being on the DVD power as found.

The functions I deleted were several PIP and other functions unrelated to DVD control most of the time . . . and no use with this DVD. I assume I only deleted functions for that upgrade setup code, correct?

I wasn't sure if it would use memory if they were unassigned, and all the unused - unrelated functions were making it more confused then it needed to be. Did i cause others or myself any real added problems by deleting them? Next time I'll leave them in if that is the standard practice.

Good help is hard to find . . . THANKS!!

br

Thanks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue remote wrote:
How can the file be modified to delete my note?
Just re-upload it to the same location. Since you originally uploaded it, you have an option (when looking at that file) to delete or update it.
blue remote wrote:

I assume I only deleted functions for that upgrade setup code, correct?
Huh? I don't understand your question. Your file is your file and includes whatever you chose to include. It has no impact on anything in anybody else's remote or to the software unless and until someone chooses to use that file.

Amazon Firestick
blue remote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK . . . Thanks! I'll delete that note.

I figured there was no harm in deleting the unused functions, but wanted to make sure since everything I'm doing is new. I didn't want to be the one posting an upgrade that would cause some other rookie issues.

Your taking the time to walk me through what I suspect are basic & simple concepts to you. It was good of you to look at my file and troubleshoot it so quick.

Now I hope I have the basics figured so i can modify/build the much more complex upgrade for my Sony STR-DE835 receiver. I found a few that are close.

Question . . . with several upgrade files with parts of them having what I need, with others having the rest. What is the best way to gather all the info so I can enter it and fine tune it into one RM upgrade? Open several RM's with the ones I want to copy from, and then build it by copying them into a new RM file? That should work, right? I guess if that is too much effort or unworkable, I could load each one and read it in a capture with my USB-UIRT. What works best in your experience?

BTW . . . either your sleep patterns are as corrupt as mine . . or you are in a time zone far from mine. (I forgot to look and see if it is in your profile.)

THANKS!

br

Thanks!
blue remote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK . . . Thanks! I'll delete that note.

I figured there was no harm in deleting the unused functions, but wanted to make sure since everything I'm doing is new. I didn't want to be the one posting an upgrade that would cause some other rookie issues.

Thank you for your taking the time to walk me through what I suspect are basic & simple concepts to you. It was good of you to look at my file and troubleshoot it so quick.

Now I hope I have the basics figured so i can modify/build the much more complex upgrade for my Sony STR-DE835 receiver. I found a few that are close.

Question . . . with several upgrade files with parts of them having what I need, with others having the rest, what is the best way to gather all the info so I can enter it and fine tune it into one RM upgrade? Open several RM's with the ones I want to copy from, and then build it by copying them into a new RM file? That should work, right? I guess if that is too much effort or unworkable, I could load each one and read it in a capture with my USB-UIRT. What works best in your experience?

BTW . . . either your sleep patterns are as corrupt as mine . . or you are in a time zone far from mine. (I forgot to look and see if it is in your profile.)

THANKS!

br

Thanks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the UK, 5 hours ahead of the US East Coast.

Why would you EVER want to load upgrades and then re-learn them?

Open the RMDU file that matched what you want the most closely and use that as your base.

Open OTHER rmdu files (you can have multiple instances of RM running), and copy the functions you need from one to the other.

Now it is possible (likely even) that some of the functions you want to add may use a different Device:Subdevice number combination, so you will have to see whether the selected Sony protocol supports the particular combination of Devices:Subdevices you seek. (Check the Protocol Help)

There are several Sony protocol "executors" ("protocols" from the user PoV, but really they are just different ways for the remote to generate the right signals) available in RM. Each has different capabilities and limitations. You must read the protocol help very carefully to assist you in selecting the best-suited protocol to meet your needs.

Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BR,
As the Capn mentioned, if your original remote has additional buttons that you didn't include in your upgrade, please go back and re-add them to your upgrade file and then re-load the file to the upgrade section, even if the buttons either (a) are not useful to you or (b) don't even do anything for your DVD player. In the later case, you can add a note next to the function stating that the button doesn't do anything. Think about it, if the button's there it does something to some DVD player, even if not yours.

Here's why...

Once you've got your remote up and running, you will probably stop frequenting these forums, then in a couple of years from now, someone will come along with a GPX DVD without a remote, or without a learning JP1 remote so therefore no way to capture the codes, and they'll post something like this ... "I tried the GPX file and it works but it's missing the PIP button and a few others that I desperately need, can anyone help?"

Of course, by then you'll be gone and none of us have a GPX player, so we won't be able to help.

Thanks.
blue remote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap'n & Rob . . .

I'm sorry, I was pretty tired last night and was not that clear with my questions & intentions. (Learning how to create GREAT new toys . . . <Giant Grin>)

Good point! I think I got all the remote keys for the GPX in my RM file, but I'll double check to make sure before I do the update.

As for being gone in a few years . . . Unless a "super" non-JP1 remote comes out that has the cool abilities of JP1 remotes in some fashion, and it is as reasonable to buy, I really expect I'll be playing with the JP1's for years. I lack the finances to buy cutting edge hardware and instead am a half step behind the razors edge, so i am always swapping out hardware and trying to improve my over all system. Now that I have taken the time and am beginning to understand the basic concept behind JP1, (along with all the sweet SW you pioneers have created . . . well, I guess SWEET sums up my thoughts!

With a JP1 modified remote and some cosmetic . . . (color code the key groups so it passes the wife test) . . . and simple HW changes . . . (a better LED for the back-light, maybe re-chargeable batteries . . . )

<QUESTION: What color LED works best for back-lighting in your opinion?> Are there any pics or info from anyone who did any simple cosmetic and HW upgrades? Are there designs floating around in the files, I have not seen?

As for building my Sony RM upgrade, that is what I was trying to say. I have not had time to test it much, see how it feels in a day or two, and then build it into the upgrade that makes sense to me . . . but as you said, starting from a basic existing upgrade and then tuning it and looking at some others to compare, I built a good test RM upgrade loaded to every un-shifted key.

I was pleased to see on a quick run of the keypad, I now have some functions I was never able to access without the original remote. There is no way that I'm aware of, to enable the test tones without a remote. I fooled with it some before, but it wasn't clicking in my head. With your help, and some time to study and learn building the GPX DVD RM upgrade file for the DVD, info that was over my head . . . (like the listing of all the codes found & used for the Sony receivers) . . . they now make sense and I have a basis for creating the remote I want.

I'm sure I'll find a need to ask more questions along the way, but I hope not too many now that i finally seem to understand some. I have some more challenges like Snap-Stream and my X10 system control, but they don't seem so hard now. Soon I guess I'll be putting an extender file into the mix and then pulling everything together with good macro designs.

One suggestion . . . I found the IRHelp file by vickyg2003 this morning. Having an up to date illustrated "How to" file for IR & RM, that covers the basic concepts and terminology of JP1, helped fill in some of the little points I didn't get when I read the other "How to" files. The good coverage of JP1 terminology in the help file format, helped me. Why not add it or one like it, as a help file for IR and RM. It also would have made me understand the use of each program and why they are used, with fewer questions. I suspect you might get fewer rookie questions if it was used as a help file. If not as THE help file, maybe sticky it to the beginning JP1 forum. Just a thought from someone who just found the light at last . . . . (Maybe not everyone is a slow as me?)

Thanks Guys . . . let me know if either of you have ideas on simple HW or cosmetic details . . .

br

Thanks!
blue remote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh . . . BTW, I used my USB-UIRT to test & capture some codes I already found working for the Sony. I had loaded them with a limited upgrade I found, but couldn't figure how to get all the details from IR to compare them against some other upgrade files. That is why I was still learning codes.

How can I find everything I see in my RM file in IR? Then I wouldn't have needed to test capture a couple keys to compare them. I'm sure there is a simple way without leaving IR, but I wasn't finding all the details I got in the RM files, and wanted to see if i was on the right track with some of the upgrades I used.

Anyway, it wasn't all a waste . . . I found a good way to do any learning I ever need to do in the future, IF I need to do any again. I used the IR Learn prgm for capture, and then your cool proto HEX decode prgm.

Like I said, I'm sure I missed the EASY way from IR, right? Still it was cool seeing the code go full circle, from partial upgrade that had some functions working, to capture, to decode, to RM, to IR . . . after a few, I knew I had things making sense, even if i didn't. Part of the added checking was due to the mixed protocols used for Sony, and the fact I never had a remote for it. I wanted to make sure I was calling functions and using them for what they were named in different upgrades.

Except for not seeing all the function details in IR in my sleepy state this morning, I hope this makes a little sense from my beginners viewpoint. Figuring there was something I missed in IR, I still wanted to follow the code & HEX through an upgrade for understanding. Also, I wanted to give the USB-UIRT a good workout to make sure I understand it. I'll be using it to tie much of my computing remote control into the rest of the house systems.

Thanks Again!

br

then using the IRLearn prgm to capture, and then decoding the HEX with your Proto IR tool

Thanks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue remote wrote:
<QUESTION: What color LED works best for back-lighting in your opinion?> Are there any pics or info from anyone who did any simple cosmetic and HW upgrades? Are there designs floating around in the files, I have not seen?
Read this thread.

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: