JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advanced codes vs. JP1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjdbb1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Advanced codes vs. JP1? Reply with quote

Obviously I'm just getting started learning about JP1. I have a ReplayTV remote that I'm trying to program to control a Panasonic DVC-2000 VCR/DVD player. There's an upgrade file in the file section for this device.

My question is, are the 3 digit codes in the text upgrade file (next to each function) the advanced codes for the device? If so, is there a way to use the information in the upgrade file to program the remote without JP1?

I haven't been able to get any of the VCR/DVD setup codes to work my device.

Any advice from the experts would really be appreciated!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched and couldn't find the file in question, so I can't say. If you post a link to the file I'll take a look, but in all likelyhood the answer is you probably would need to get a JP1 cable in order to use the codes.
mjdbb1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking a look. Here's a link to the file:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=656
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see why it couldn't be found. It's Polaroid unit, not Panasonic as you wrote in your first post.

This upgrade uses the NEC1 protocol with Device code 1. It also uses single-byte commands, so you COULD, in theory, use those EFCs to add functions/commands for that unit contingent upon finding a built-in Device Setup Code in your Replay remote that has those same parameters (NEC1 Protocol, Device 1)

The following UEIC DVD/VCR Device codes use the NEC1 Protocol with Device 1:
Unfortunately, according to the Devices.xls spreadsheet, it appears that NONE of those is resident in your remote, although as a first step, I would try each of them anyways. (i.e. assign each of those DVD device codes in turn to your VCR/DVD device on the Replay remote and see if it operates ANY functions on your Panasonic).

If none of those work, as a next step, you could try assigning TV codes
0717, or

which use the same protocol and device parameters and MAY be resident in your remote. Again, devices.xls says they are NOT, but the ARE in the Replay 5000, so maybe.....

If ANYTHING works from ANY setup code, then you can use those EFCs to create keymoves based upon that discovered Setup Code.

If not, then you need a cable to upload an upgrade.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mjdbb1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, it is a Polaroid.

Unfortunately none of those codes were recognized by my remote, as you expected.

When you say 'this upgrade' uses the NEC1 protocol with device code 1, can an upgrade be created that uses a protocol/device code that my remote will recognize?

I've been playing around with the keymaster spreadsheet and when I load in the upgrade I noticed that it does specify a different type of remote. In the remotes list, it does list a ReplayTV remote. If I were to change this and save a new upgrade file, would that help at all?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you still need a cable to upload it to your remote.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mjdbb1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for some more parts as I'm going to build a JP1 connector. In the meantime I'd like to give it a try manually:

If I open up the upgrade file in KM and changed the protocol name (from NEC1) to a different protocol that IS recognized by my remote (in devices.xls), the codes that I was referring to earlier change (EFC's?)

I guess what I'm getting at is this: can I change the protocol to something that my remote WILL recognize, use that setup code, and use the EFC's to get it to work my device?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing. Thanks for your advice thus far.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdbb1 wrote:
I guess what I'm getting at is this: can I change the protocol to something that my remote WILL recognize, use that setup code, and use the EFC's to get it to work my device?
While you could certainly have fun doing that in the meantime, it won't help. Until the remote has a setup code that uses the NEC1 protocol with device code 1, it will not be able to communicate with your device. From what has been said so far, the only way that is going to happen is to load a device upgrade into the remote via the JP1 cable.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every IR signal has a set of characteristics (such as the frequency, the timimgs, the format, etc) that we call the "protocol". Furthermore, every protocol uses 1 or more device codes to form the fixed portion of the signal (ie, the part that doesn't change regardless of which button is pressed). When you select a setup code, you are (in effect) selecting a protocol and device code, then when you press a button you are selecting the command code (aka OBC or EFC). You can also use advanced codes to select a different command code, but the signal that's generated will still use the same protocol and device codes.

I'm giving you this explanation to (hopefully) explain why you cannot do what you want without first loading an upgrade into the remote that uses the correct protocol and device code. Had such a setup code existed in your remote (ie, one from the list above) then you could indeed have used advanced codes to program your device, but your remote doesn't contain a matching code, you cannot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: