JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Modify Existing Slingbox Remote?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Modify Existing Slingbox Remote? Reply with quote

Is it possible to modify an existing Slingbox remote code (one that is already included with the Slingplayer software) using RM or some other tool?

I have a Slingbox AV set up in Japan, And luckily, the US software has the remote for the Japanese Panasonic DVR that I need to control. BUT...it's not laid out well, and many of the controls are in the drop-down menu, with a confusing and poorly labeled sub-menu hierarchy.

I'd prefer to just fix the one they have, as I do not have the remote in the US to teach the codes to a JP1 remote. I will soon have the Sony LocationFree that I was using there, and I might be able to rig something up to learn the codes from that. But, it would be somewhat of a pain in the butt. So, I was hoping for a way to just edit the existing remote file somehow.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is, but first you would need to get ahold of the BIN file in question. I can help with that when I get back into town on Sunday.
garypen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I don't see any bin files, other than the ones I've been creating with RM. They all seem to be SPR files.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supplied BIN files are hidden inside password protected zip files, which is why you'll need my help to get them (as I still have all the old BIN files on my computer at home.

Help me identify which bin file you are using by telling me what selections you made in order to select the file.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary,
I'm at homenow and ready to look for that bin file for you, but I need to know which one you are using. As the Slingplayer software doesn't reveal the code numbers anymore, I'll need you to tell me what selections you made to load the bin file (ie, type of device, brand, model, etc).
garypen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's DVR-Panasonic-DMR-EX350
garypen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how do I go about changing the names and/or locations of the functions that appear in the remote's pull-down menu? Is that even possible?
kiwin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Remote and JP1 files for a Panasonic DVR Reply with quote

Here is a remote and JP1 files for a Panasonic DVR that is being used a SlingBoX AV in Japan as well:

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/11930/NEED-CODE-FOR-PANASONIC-DMR-EH50/?page=2

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4411
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Actually, I already found that zip file, have modified the RMDU file, and created a bin file for my model DMR-EX200V.

Your RMDU was missing the very important Tuner Input Select function to switch between Analog/Digital/BS/CS tuners. It also had a lot of extraneous commands that I deleted. But, it was great that you also had the colored multi-use buttons.

BTW, the SlingPlayer software actually has BINs for the Japanese HDD/DVD Recorders built-in. However, the BIN that loads for the EX200V is also missing that important Tuner Select function. It is, however, included in the BIN that loads when you select DMR-EX350. But, the menu structure and labeling is a complete mess. That's why I created my own.

I really wish there was a way to re-arrange and rename the functions in the menu. Then, I wouldn't have a bunch of buttons named "custom". It would also be nice to have a remote skin with all the buttons, like you created. But, I have multiple SlingBoxes and devices plugged into them. There must be a way to create a BIN-specific skin for the remote only, like they have for the Tivo, Dish, Comcast, etc remotes. (Your skin effects the whole player, and every SlingBox and device it connects to.)

Thanks again for your hard work creating all that. I just wish I could use most of it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary,
Did you get the new file that I had Sling send to you? If you use it it should sort out the menu issue.
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had it. It comes with the SlingPlayer software. (Or, the remote update patch that I had installed with it at the time.) Either way, it's already in there.

The Sling guy did say he would take a look as the RMDU and BIN files I created, along with a proposed new menu structure and function name list. So, that's nice.

Also, they appear to have assigned the wrong BIN to this model. (That's the reason I needed to select a different model to get all the functions.)

So, I am hoping that when they release the next remote patch, it'lll include the above corrections. And, it's kinda cool to be a contributor! (That must be how you felt the first time.)
kiwin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Japanese version of SlingPlayer has better support for Japan Reply with quote

The Japanese version of the SlingPlayer has better support for the Japanese DVRs including the Panasonic ones.
http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer%20PC%201.4.0.195%20Setup-JP.exe

The US and Japan distribution of the SlingPlayers do NOT have the same BIN files. For example, the Japanese version does have Red, Yellow, Green, Blue in the menu.

Have you tried the Japanese version?

It *really* would be nice if all of the files were available unencrypted. It wasn't happy to have to modify the whole SlingPlayer just for the one remote, but that was the only solution I could find....
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US SlingPlayer (1.4.206), with Remote Update, has the Japanese models listed, along with Japanese remote files: Japanese.spr, IOData.spr, Sky.spr, etc. In fact, they seem to be newer versions than the older JP version 1.4.195 of SlingPlayer.

The red, yellow, green, blue buttons are in the menu, and even the Tuner Input Select function, as I said in my post above. But, the layout of the menu , and the naming of the functions, is horrible.

Do the remote skins in the Japanese SlingPlayer have the additional buttons? Or, are you talking about just the menus?
kiwin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Remotes Update Reply with quote

The RemotesUpdate ( http://us.slingmedia.com/object/KB-005364.html ) is new to me. Anyone know when it was released? (sometime after 11-May since that is the date on the SPR files). I had mentioned to the SlingMedia CTO on 1-May that the Japanese remotes were out of date in the US release - I am glad it was so quickly updated)

Yes, the Remotes Update 1.0 does add the MENU choices that were in Japanese version 1.4.0.195.

Both the Japanese version 1.4.0.195 and Remotes Update 1.0 BUTTON situation is the same - very poor support for buttons for Panasonic DVR-EM55. Since it is my wife that uses it the most, she prefers the buttons. (She would prefer to to use the original PHYSICAL remote while viewing on the TV with a SlingCatcher - but that is a future story). So my draconian approach to make virtual remote buttons with the skin was my only choice...
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotes Update Reply with quote

kiwin wrote:
So my draconian approach to make virtual remote buttons with the skin was my only choice...
And, you did an outstanding job!!! It is the RMDU file in your zip that I used to create my own RMDU and BIN. But, I don't think that RMDU had the Tuner Inut Select either.

So, I set one of the inputs on my home SlingPlayer to load the BIN for DMR-EX350, learned that function code with an 8910 from the emitter, read it with IR, and added it to the RMDU with RemoteMaster.

Without your RMDU file as a starting point, it would have been a lot more difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: