JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bledsoeo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question Reply with quote

I am just getting started on setting up a new code for a Scientific Atlanta set top box.

I know that the Slingbox already has a very complete library of codes for these, but I was looking to add a new code that lets you remotely display the diagnostic screens.

The problem is that I will need to record a remote code that:

1) holds down one key for 14 seconds and then
2) presses a second key

Before I buy the programmable remote, etc. can someone tell me if the procedures listed in the top of this forum will work for very long codes like I would like to use?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a "programmable remote" I think you mean a regular JP1 remote, such as the 8910.

That can be helpful in other Slingbox projects, when you don't know what signal you want to send. Then the JP1 remote is a useful tool to help you find out.

But for what you describe, a JP1 remote wouldn't help. I've never heard of a Scientific Atlanta signal that needs to be held for a long time. But I'll assume you know what you're talking about. We certainly know (in detail) what Scientific Atlanta signals look like and what they would look like if held for 14 seconds. There are no unknowns regarding the signal for which you would want another remote to investigate.

I don't know enough about Slingboxes to say how hard it would be to make one generate the signal you want. But having a JP1 remote wouldn't make it any easier.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I don't know enough about Slingboxes to say how hard it would be to make one generate the signal you want. But having a JP1 remote wouldn't make it any easier.

Slingboxes don't hold buttons down, they send them all twice (ie, as if in a macro), so to send the signal for 14 seconds, the executor would need to be modified to do this.
bledsoeo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both.

Yes - I should have been more precise, but I was talking about getting JP1 remote, like the 8910.

As far as modifying the executor, I would be open to trying, but I could use some more information on this. Is there some sort of documented procedure for doing this, or is it outside the realm of possibility for a novice?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is a Slingbox, I assume there is no practical way to use two executors together (the way a simple keymove lets you use a different executor in any device mode in an ordinary JP1 remote).

So we need an executor that does the ordinary Scientific Atlanta signals as well as the special signal(s).

Does it really need to do both keys? Or once you have a way to send the 14 second signal, is some other method (such as click another button) good enough for the second signal?

Is there just one pair of first and second signals needed? Or multiple different first or multiple second?

There are 64 possible commands (OBC numbers) for the Scientific Atlanta. So 6 of the 8 command bits are used to say which command.

One of the remaining two bits could be used to specify the special behavior.

If special behavior is just holding for 14 sec, that is easiest.

If special behavior is holding for 14 seconds then sending another signal, that is more complicated, plus there is only one 6 bit field in the 8 bits to specify signal. So one of the two signals can be encoded within that 8 bit command, but the other must be hard coded into the executor.
bledsoeo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your info -

Actually, the special behavior is a single 14 seconds key press. Once that is finished, then the second key can be pressed with 5 seconds, using a second click.

Sounds like this could work after all...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: