JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tommy's jp1.x vs serial port suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Tommy's jp1.x vs serial port suggestions Reply with quote

A while back, less than a month ago, Tommy put a post about voltages on the serial port for people who use jp1.x remotes. While I don't have any of those, I found the post interesting. Tommy threatened to pull it out if no response. Well, I think he did or I need new glasses. ANy chance it could be recovered and added to one of his stickies about 1.x? I think in the long run the post should be here as a reference.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I've been trying to figure out how to use the voltmeter that I found in the garage. If it is delicate enough for electronic equipment. I'm really afraid of this kind of stuff.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You afraid?!?! didn't you solder a bunch of eeproms or something? that's brave thing to do. I wouldn't stick voltmeter probes into the tight spaces of the port. So what I've been doing (parallel mostly, early on when jp1 wasn't working on the laptop too well) is borrow a gadget from the office called BlackBox. You plug, say, serial port into it and then with little leads you work in wider spaces you go connecting things, watch LEDs, and measure what's needed. I used didgital voltmeter from the office. pretty rugged thing. The ancient Heathkit tube-type my husband used to use is shot I think. That one was delicate, or so I was told.

How to use? they have a scale. So you start with 500 volts and go down the scale Smile actually in computers starting around 5 will do the job. And you use the red and black probes. I think red is positive, but if the needle goes the wrong way then it's negative Smile That's the extent of my knowledge.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After over 80 hits without anyone confirming they had the described problem, I pulled the Sticky. I have to assume (or hope?) I have the only PC in the universe that behaves like this.

The post on Everything You Need to Know About Testing a JP1.x Interface
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7987 has been upgraded to add an entire Section 5 describing the problem.

Tommy
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that you are the only one that has the problem, its that you're the only one that has the problem AND UNDERSTANDS it. I think I have the problem, but I'm going through a USB to Serial adapter, which may bring its own set of issues. My remote often freezes after its been connected to IR. My remote often downloads with the signature reverted. I hadn't connected the two until I read the post. I haven't had it happen since reading your post. Its a "sometimes" thing, and I can't get it to happen on a regular basis, to confirm the signature change and key freeze together. Since I am still in the heavy testing phase, I connect the JP1.2 remotes all the time. It only happens every so often. Before I read your post, I was sure it was an extender error, now I'm not so sure. The post helped me a great deal even though I'm afraid to do the probing myself.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
You afraid?!?! didn't you solder a bunch of eeproms or something? that's brave thing to do.

Yes that was brave on my part, because I AM afraid. My fear limit is about $25 though. I'll poke around on a remote, but when it comes to poking equipment that I'm not sure how to use, into holes on the new lap top I'm not that brave!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: