JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One problem after another with IR 7.01 - solved

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stususs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: One problem after another with IR 7.01 - solved Reply with quote

I downloaded 7.01 zip. When extracting the archived files, the file known as gwiopm.sys would not appear in the newly created target folder.

When I try to copy gwiopm.sys from the zip archive to the actual directory, I receive a message that the file is there. But it is invisible.

Opening IR produces its own series of error messages. I receive the message that gwiopm.sys is missing. The parallel interface is greyed out.

Interface/driver status produces the message that file "ys" is missing and is not located in the same file as IR. Then I am told to be sure that I have admin rights. How can I not have admin rights? I am the only user of this computer.

At one point the parallel interface worked, but any attempt to upload or download produced a "privileged instruction" error.

I have followed these instructions from binky123:

To delete or clear all the Windows IR7 registry settings,
Create a ir7_reset.reg file containing 3 lines and then double-click the file
to execute it:

Code:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UEIC]

You can also try deleting
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\IRFile

After following those instructions I still had the "privileged instruction" error.

So I uninstalled everything and reinstalled 7.01. Now I am back to having the parallel interface option greyed out.

Can someone direct me to an older 5.0 version of IR which used to work fine? Why am I having all of these problems?

Thank you.
stususs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to my earlier message:

Now I am told that the file gwiopm.sys is password protected and I am prompted to enter a password beofe the file can be extracted from the zip archive.

What is going on here?
MaximusPlank

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stususs wrote:
An update to my earlier message:

Now I am told that the file gwiopm.sys is password protected and I am prompted to enter a password beofe the file can be extracted from the zip archive.

What is going on here?
Maybe the download is corrupted? Try it again and/or try downloading a different version.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten the priv'd instruction errory in the past when I had a shortcut somewhere for IR and then moved stuff around. If the "start in" directory in the shortcut isn't right or isn't there, you'll see that.

I've installed IR so many times over the years on so many machines, and have never run into the troubles that you have. I'd try to delete everything and start over, starting with a new download.

-bill
stususs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how the problem was solved:

I had been having a private message exchange with mpauker of this forum. He alerted me to the possibility that this was an issue of folder permissions, not an IR problem.

Unclemiltie of this forum was also correct in advising me that the "privileged instruction" error was a result of moving files around, in and out of the "start in" directory.

After spending most of my day researching Permissions and hidden files, and booting and rebooting in and out of safe mode, I was ready to give up.

I decided to delete the troublesome folder and to move all the IR files elsewhere. I re-extracted the archived 7.01 files into that new folder. The program and all files were in one folder. After this, the .sys file was visible, and the parallel port was active. Everything has finally worked properly.

Mpauker was correct; the problem had nothing to do with IR. It had to do with strange permissions/restrictions on the folder that I had originally created.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: