JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Least-cost solution - teach discrete codes to other remotes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmartinson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Least-cost solution - teach discrete codes to other remotes? Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for reading my question. First-time poster. Great forum.

I've STFW'd quite a bit of research and read a ton of JP1 intro material, and I think I grasp the basics. What I'm trying to do is identify the least expensive remote I need that can set up discrete codes so my other remotes can learn from it.

I have three Universal GAMER UR7-G2 units (Kmart clearance $3.50 each). Why three? So wife and kids can lose two in various parts of the house and I'll still be able to find one. Pretty happy with them for the price. (The remotes, that is.) The manual implies there are only two macro keys (power on and power off), but I was happy to learn and verify that all seven component keys also support macros. Have configured/learned almost everything I need, but would like to make my macros faster/smarter with discrete codes.

Research indicates my Toshiba TV is a TOAD, so I'm stuck with "channel up - input - input - input - input" to select source, unless I want to do toggle tracking (which I don't just yet).

But I'm hopeful my Sony DVD/VCR combo and my Sony 50+1 CD changer will support some discrete codes. (Willing to research that myself; just haven't done it yet.)

At this point all I want is a cheap remote that can transmit discrete on/off for Sony, so I can have my three GAMERs learn them from this new remote onto a couple of keys I don't care about (maybe X and Y -- I don't have a PSX or 360) so I can then use them in my component key macros.

Is there such a beast that can do this natively, or will I need to obtain both a remote and a JP1 cable? In either case, what would be some low-end remote models to look into that would support this?

I greatly appreciate any response that can point me in the right direction.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a "One For All" remote in order to generate the discrete code signals where the original remote doesn't have these buttons. If there is already a setup code built into the remote that matches the signals used by the device, you don't need a JP1 cable, but if you have any devices where there isn't a matching code, you would need a JP1 cable to load the upgrade into the remote.

If you have a parallel port on your computer, your cheapest option is to get a URC-8910 remote ($19) and a parallel cable ($15), which would be $39 total including $5 shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: