JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weird 7800 extender latchup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnbrit2007

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Weird 7800 extender latchup Reply with quote

I have been using 7800 Extender (RDF C7L0X7L0) for several years. It's just started latching up occasionally when a device key is pressed (there are macros on all the device keys). When it latches up, the red LED stays on. Sometimes you can get out by hitting other non-device keys but often I have to take a battery out. I know that it's not the remote as it is doing the same thing on two 7800's.

Has anybody ever experienced this and does anyone have a possible solution?

Also, does anyone have any 7800's for sale?

Thanks
John Williams
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an intermittent problem, or does it happen every time you press a certain device key? Often, locking up with the red LED staying on is a sign that you have an infinite loop in a macro (i.e. a macro calling itself). I think this problem can also happen if you attempt to use a device code that is not stored in the remote. From your description, it sounds like you may have been using the same remote setup for quite a while now, so my advice probably isn't too helpful, but these are the only two possible causes I can think of.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started using extenders on my old 7800's, I had this kind of problem. It turns out the batteries were loose. A small piece of foam placed under the battery cover, solved my problems. Loose batteries can really cause problems with extenders.

BTW there is a new extender for the 7800, version 5, that has nested macros, X_shift capabilities.
johnbrit2007

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Both interesting. I just bought a batch of batteries that were manufactured in Germany. Perhaps they are slightly different dimensions from the British ones I normally use (they were probably both made in China anyway!)
I'll try the new extender. Perhaps that'll fix it anyway. You refer to your old 7800's - what do you use now? I realized that there would come a time when the last (I had 4) would die. I just love the flexibilty, the button layout and the size. It's a long term love affair... I need to know what to use next. I've tried a couple but didn't like either of them.

Yes, it is intermittant but I don't appear to have any macros calling themselves. I never knew that there could be a problem allocating a device number that doesn't exist. Does the manual contain every number that is stored in ROM?

Thanks again, John Williams
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got 7800's that haven't been put into circulation yet. I love the 7800's they are a hard remote to beat.

I have some of the oldstyle 6131's and the 6011's. I like the size of these. I like the button layout on the 6131's, but the family sports fans don't because the awkwardness of the PIP buttons. These remotes had to be modified since they don't have the EEPROM. I bought mine from Rob, because I don't like to solder.

I also have some 8811's and some 8910's but I really don't like them because the remote requires me to use two hands, but they do provide learning; have 8 device buttons ; and the 8900 lets me read what mode I'm in.

The new 7800 extender will require you to do some translating when you do a extmerge. The home theater keys don't translate well becuase they were remapped so that we could add the X-Shift. The x_shift is really necessary as the equipment evolve with more and more functions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: