JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Not experienced enough to be a newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pchoate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Not experienced enough to be a newbie Reply with quote

Let me briefly explain how I wound up here. I ordered a universal remote control to unclutter my coffee table. As usual, I did my research and comparisons on the internet and I found http://www.remotecentral.com/ especially helpful. I decided upon the Home Theater Master MX-500, which I am increasingly convinced is a good choice.

In reading the user reviews on this remote, I kept reading about using it in conjunction with a JP1 capable remote - specifically the "All for One URC 8811". From what I can tell, this remote offers "discrete codes" which would permit coding, for example, seperate "on" and "off" switches, rather than a toggle. This makes sense for programming macros - if I want a macro to, for example, fire up just those components needed to watch a DVD and, say, my TV and AV reciever are already "on", it wouldn't do for the macro to be toggling those components off!

Please tell me if this is vaguely accurate.

Then, please tell me why some remotes have the discrete codes and other do not. Which ones do (the URC 8811 is not available in any store in town - what about other "All for One" models)? What does the JP1 connectivity add? I can see the value of a computer interface, but doesn't that require software or a driver or something?

I appreciate any input, guidance, or advice.

Paul
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Not experienced enough to be a newbie Reply with quote

pchoate wrote:

Then, please tell me why some remotes have the discrete codes and other do not.

That isn't exactly accurate.

Some devices support discrete codes and some do not. If the device you want to control doesn't support discrete codes, your choice of remote won't help that.

Given a device that does support discrete codes, you can't get the discrete programmed into your learning remote (MX-500 in this case) unless you have some other remote from which to teach the signal. Very few of the orriginal remotes for devices can be used to teach the discrete codes.

Some universal remotes (JP1 remotes, Prontos, etc.) allow you to construct arbitrary signals on a PC and then program them into the remote, so you can get the discrete code into the remote (assuming you have some way to identify that discrete code) even though you lack a source to learn the signal from and even though the manufacturer of the universal remote didn't include that signal in whatever database of signals came with the remote.

Some universal remotes allow you to construct many new signals on the remote itself without a computer connection. In the 8810 and similar UEI remotes, that capability is quite extensive, but not as complete as the capability to create signals via JP1. Depending on the specific signals you want generated, you might or might not be able to make them with just the remote, without JP1.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John. I always agree with John. This is because John is always right. So what should you do next? Let me tell you...

What you should do is purchase a 8810w or a 8811. You should also purchase a JP1 cable. With these two items you can create the discrete codes you need to teach to your mx500 new tricks. Even codes that your OEM remotes dont have buttons for, you can create using JP1.

The remote you can get lots of places. Ok, one place. Wal-Mart, for $19, and it is always out of stock. Even stupid people know a bargain when they see it. However, the last time I checked, wal-mart does not sell the JP1 cable. Smile The easiest way to get the cable is to buy it. They are available through the mail from hovis($14), filebug($20), or rob($15). Or you can go to radio shack, buy the parts, and solder one together. My wife insisted that I had to buy a new tablecloth for the kitchen table after setting the last one on fire with the soldering gun. I thought they put fire retardant in that stuff.

If you are looking to get up and running quickly, you can buy both the 8811 and the JP1 cable from Rob here. But you better hurry, he is down to his last 8811.

Oh, and it is "One for All" .. not "All for One" .. I think there is another brand called the latter, but it is not JP1 compliant. We abbreviate alot over here, and the abbreviation for One for All is OFA. Ingenius, yes?

Happy New Year,
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split the OT retail discussion off into it's own thread:
OT: Walmart, Radio Shack and the retail experience
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: