JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Troubles with 9960 B01 Extender and Special Protocols
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't understand your question. I just tried this with the latest version and get the $0A hex value in the special functions list.

can you provide more detail as to where you are are seeing the extra values?
joedaring

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I see them there BEFORE entering the desired pause value I.e the hex value box is not empty and I have to DELETE them if I want to enter the desired value...

Here is the string I see:
"$30 $C6 $3E $D2 $3E $E4 $3E $C6 $4F $3D $4E $F0 $1B"

I'm also using latest version of everything here... any idea?

Thanks, Joe
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty standard glitch in IR, where some dialogue boxes, when intially opened, display values that seemingly don't make sense. They are usually the hex values corresponding to the last keymove of any kind (keymove, special function, etc.) that you had been looking at, even if it's for a different type of function. i.e that string you see - does it correspond to a DSM or LKP or something else that you may have just been working on?

In any event, just overwrite it with the value you want for the keymove/function you are building.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
joedaring

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Capn Trips,

Thanks for the head-up... I've seen you already had pointed to this quirk in another thread...

Seems like it is an unoffensive bug: the protocol is working fine notwithstanding...

Thanks a lot!

Joe
joedaring

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellò Bill,
here I am again with some troubles with my Kameleon 9960 B01 and the extender...

This is a whole new world for me, and I may well be just overlooking something simple... if this is the case, hope you'll understand...

First of all, this is the file I'm working on:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4537

For the veterans looking into it: I'm pretty sure the programming is UGLY, but I'm not caring about elegance right now... I'm focussing on getting things working, once they are (IF they are Wink ) I'll try to find the most elegant/efficient ways to do the same things.

Nothing special going on in that file...

- I programmed the device keys with one macro with all the keysets assignments I desired, then a call to the same shifted device key, that contains an LKP. Its SHORT part is empty (NOP), while the LONG part contains all the commands I need to set-up the "Activity" (DVD Play, TV Watching, Tuner Listening etc.).

This is working fine for the most part... I still have a problem with my TV, that takes more than 10 seconds to boot up, and during this boot period is sensitive only the channel number codes (...and not to the input selection discretes Sad

So, when everything is off, if I invoke the LKP on the DVD device key, for instance, the TV misses the Input switch command, but if I do the same when TV is already on, the LKP works OK. I decided not to correct this, as it would take really too long to execute a macro with a ten-seconds pause in it.

But the problem I'm having is with the HT key and the CD device key...

The CD key actually commands the DVD, but I intended to program its LKP to set up the system for CD listening only. What I don't understand, is the reason for the LKP not sending the "DiscreteON" command to the player. the Other Keyset ends-up correctly assigned to the DVD, and if I operate the player with the remote after the LKP execution it works fine. Every other command gets out, as I see the system's components responding correctly... don't see the reason for this, especially when I see that the similar DVD LKP works fine. Any hint on this?

Another problem I'm having is with the HT "Device" key... I can't see where I'm doing it wrong, but no matter what I assign in the macro on it, I end-up with "dynamic" keysets on it I.E., if I last used the DVD most keys command the DVD, while if I last used the TV or the Audio, the HT mode commands those components instead of the combination I programmed in the macro assigned to the HT key.

Also, at the end of this macro, I have a call to XSHIFT-Phantom 3, and I programmed this key in the Audio device with an LKP similar to the one I defined for the shifted device keys with the purpose of setting up the system for DVD viewing in full "Cinema" mode. Of course, I used the XShift-Phantom 3 because the HT key can't be the bound key for an LKP.

What happens now is that this LKP never gets executed... I suspect this is also related to the fact that, for some reason, the keysets don't get correctly assigned

Actually, the HT keys doesn't seem to do anything else than putting the remote into a state in which all keysets are dynamic, or so it seems.

Well, enough for a writing now... it's getting late and I'll have to get up early tomorrow...

I would appreciate any suggestion on these issues, as well as suggestions about how to improve my remote's programming.. as I said before, I know it's ugly and redundant right now...

Oh! And if the bug it's me this time, I'll be really happy to learn it from you gurus! Smile

Ciao and thanks for your patience in reading my raving report.

Joe
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joedaring wrote:

But the problem I'm having is with the HT key and the CD device key...

The CD key actually commands the DVD, but I intended to program its LKP to set up the system for CD listening only. What I don't understand, is the reason for the LKP not sending the "DiscreteON" command to the player. the Other Keyset ends-up correctly assigned to the DVD, and if I operate the player with the remote after the LKP execution it works fine. Every other command gets out, as I see the system's components responding correctly... don't see the reason for this, especially when I see that the similar DVD LKP works fine. Any hint on this?
Well, taking the easy one first.....
Your shift-CD LKP calls on DiscreteON after an X_CD temporary device selection. Problem is DiscreteON is undefined for the CD device. It is defined only for the DVD device. You either need to clone your DVD/DiscreteON command to CD/DiscreteON, or simply replace X_CD with X_DVD in that LKP.

The HT looks a little more complex. Still studying.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HT macro has me stumped. As far as I can see, it looks OK.

Just as a test, have you tried assigning that precise sequence to another key and does it work there?

Similarly, have you tried a known working sequence on the HT key?

I would simply swap the macros between the HT key and another device key to see if that helps you determine whether the problem is with the macro or with the behaviour of the HT key.

Amazon Firestick
joedaring

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Capn... thanks for the feedback!

CD issue: your explanation is simple and clear but... there is something I don't catch: you tell me that DiscreteOFF is undefined in CD... In the General tab I have told CD to use the same DVD upgrade as the DVD, and the DVD upgrade has the DiscreteOFF defined... does what I define here have any relevance, or is it used only to set the device key's behavior (I.E. light the same keys the DVD mode lights instead of lighting the CD mode ones)?

If this is the situation, I will have to modify also the PVR device key behavior, as I assigned that to the DVR, with the purpose of creating some commands useful for PVR functions done with the HD recorder...

But, one thing I'm noticing now... switching Device Type from CD to DVD for the CD Device Button in the General tab CHANGES, in the Key Moves tab, all the keymoves I had for the DVD in CD ones (They are all keymoves that get imported when loading the DVD upgrade 1571). Funny things is that even this way, the DiscreteON command at the end of the CD Device Button Macro is ignored nevertheless, while the DVD one keeps working. Should I clone all the DVD Keymoves into CD omologues by hand?

Is this the expected behavior of the IR settings in the general tab and the Key Moves tab?

HT issue... I moved the Macro exactly as it is to the AUX button, and it works! Is it something broken in the HT key management?

Thanks a lot for your comments guys!

Have a good day
Joe
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

If you are using the DVD "device" on the CD button, you would either have to define the keymove for DiscreteOn in both CD and DVD or in your macro, instead of a X_CD, do an X_DVD before the discrete on.

I have to take a look at the HT processing but am a bit busy now. This may take a while to see if the extender is doing something wrong.

regards
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joedaring wrote:
CD issue: your explanation is simple and clear but... there is something I don't catch: you tell me that DiscreteOFF is undefined in CD... In the General tab I have told CD to use the same DVD upgrade as the DVD, and the DVD upgrade has the DiscreteOFF defined... does what I define here have any relevance, or is it used only to set the device key's behavior (I.E. light the same keys the DVD mode lights instead of lighting the CD mode ones)?
Of course what you define there has relevance, but only insofar as the SETUP CODE or UPGRADE you assign, in this case DVD/1571. Only those keys defined IN THAT UPGRADE are mapped to the CD device mode. Keymoves are not part of the upgrade (although KM and RM allow you to create the keymoves, they are not part of the upgrade) As such, you have no function defined for ("BOUND to")the CD/DiscreteON key.

joedaring wrote:

But, one thing I'm noticing now... switching Device Type from CD to DVD for the CD Device Button in the General tab CHANGES, in the Key Moves tab, all the keymoves I had for the DVD in CD ones (They are all keymoves that get imported when loading the DVD upgrade 1571). Funny things is that even this way, the DiscreteON command at the end of the CD Device Button Macro is ignored nevertheless, while the DVD one keeps working. Should I clone all the DVD Keymoves into CD omologues by hand?

Is this the expected behavior of the IR settings in the general tab and the Key Moves tab?
Yes, the behaviour is expected.
The Device button (4th column, not the 1st column), is only there as an aid. The next 2 columns (Device Type and Setup Code) are the important ones that tell the remote what setup code to use when applying the EFC or HEX code for the defined keymove. That Device Button field automatically fills in IF you happen to have that particular setup code assigned to a device button. In your case, you have the same setup code assigned to TWO device buttons, so it simply picks to display the first one it identifies, but that has no effect on the behaviour of the keymove, as the FIRST column specifies which device button (or INDEX) that keymove is BOUND to.

As an example, on yoru General Tab, assign some OTHER setup code to both the CD and DVD buttons and take another look at those keymoves. You will see that the 4th column entry will be <N/A>. Your keymove will still work, but the display is simply telling you that the SETUP CODE upon which that KeYMOVE is based is not assigned to any Device Index.

Amazon Firestick
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

I took a quick look at the extender code and can't see anything that would be causing issues in the way that the HT code is processed. The HT key is a special key in that it's the only key on the keypad that will force a screen change to the HT screen when its pressed. But then the code falls through to the normal processing of every other key on the remote after the screen has been changed to the HT screen.

I had to do this because the HT "device" isn't really a device, so when I call the routine to change the screen based on device, it gets confused so I call a special entry point so that the HT screen gets set.

That said, the HT key is processed as a macro no different than the others, as far as I can see in a quick look through the code.

When I get a chance, I'll download your file and put some debug code in it to see what happens.
joedaring

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill and Capn,

Thanks for your comments...

Capn... my fault! I somehow overlooked THAT simple fact: Keymoves are NOT part of the upgrade! Embarassed Actually, by looking at what gets imported when loading an upgrade in IR, that should have been clear right from the start... but sometimes you just don't see what's in full light in front of you.

The CD key "issue" is resolved now... just cloned the keymoves from the DVD mode and everything works now.

Bill... I wish the HT key issue was equally easy, but unless you discover I'm doing something VERY stupid with the HT key's definition (which, BTW, I would prefer it was the case...) there may be something strange going on with that key...

What you described above does make sense, but maybe something trivial just crept in the code spoiling the logic... of course I have NO idea of what I'm talking about, but the fact that I just moved a working macro from one of the other device keys to the HT key, and the macro stopped working may tell something...

No hurry, Bill... I still have a lot to do to fine tune the thing to my needs, so I have more to keep me busy!

Bye all... have a good night!
Joe
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

I have something that I want you to try.... I have a theory of what is wrong, the entry point for the code that selects the screen for HT is setting the device index to something that the extended remote doesn't understand.

Depending on which version of the extender you are using I need you to change the entry point for this routine from 0DFB to 0DFE. In v1.01 this is in the RAW data at address FF08/FF09, you should find it close to there in most other versions.

Go in, change the FB to an FE, apply and then upload to the remote and let me know what happens.

Details/hypothesis:

The entry point at 0DFB loads the active device with $08, which the unextended remote uses as the device index for the HT key. But since HT is done very different on the extended remote (ie: every devcie can have HT characteristics) the extender doesn't set up any of the stuff that the unextended remote would for HT mode. When the extended remote then tries to deal with device $08 it runs into random data and probably misbehaves.

Changing the entry point forward by one instruction (3 bytes) will skip the load of the current device to $08 but will still continue to set the screen to the HT screen.

This won't animate the HT button, but I want to see if this is the root of your problem (this is done based on the current device being sent to the screen controller). If your macro now works, I then have to figure out how I'm going to deal with this situation.
joedaring

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill..

Quick test here:

Not sure I'm reading things right... you said FF08/FF09, but the RAW buffer doesn't go that high... it gets only to 0FFF... I'm ashamed to admit I'm not sure of what Im saying here! Anyway, Raw location was 0FC8/0FC9 (I'm using latest version... why these locations are different?) changed to 0D FE, but the macro still doesn't work... the screen changes to HT mode, the button DOESN'T animate, but the macro still doesn't work...

Have I done it right?

Any other test?

Ciao!
Joe
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

Sorry that didn't work, more examination found that it wasn't going to and I thought I posted that last night but I guess I missed.

I think I found the issue, it appears that although I process the HT key to change the screen I then skip processing of the key, which is the behaviour that you are seeing. Try changing this:

At $0CB there is a jump instruction coded as $8B $0F. I'm jumping to the wrong place and the jump needs to be $8B $C8.

If you don't have this exact code in your extender don't change it since it won't work. This is v1.01.

let me know if that works for you

-bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: