JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new 8820 upgrade, arrow buttons not working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: new 8820 upgrade, arrow buttons not working Reply with quote

I have a new upgrade I've created for a URC-8820.

I am using a new JP1.2 cable, keymap master 9.08, and IR ver 7.0 beta

It is Sony 12/15 protocol, device 17 (for testing, soon to be changed).

I have the device type as TV and the device code at 2012, which appears to be unique to the remotes database.

I have defined 5 functions with OBC 001, 002, 003, 004, 005. Those 5 functions are assigned to 5 buttons, namely:

Play, Stop, Rew, Uparrow, down arrow

I have a OEM Sony, device 17 (CD) remote I use for verification testing. I produce those OBC codes using OEM buttons 2,3,4,5,6. The stock remote controls the device perfectly.

When I program the 8820, I cannot get the arrow keys to work. I've tried up, down, left and right. When programed as described above, none work except the up arrow. If I reprogram/change the up/down mapping to to left and right, neither left or right will work.

FWIW, I notice the 8820 master button will blink when pressing one of my programmed keys. But it will also blink if I press some (but not all) other keys I did not program. e.g. the numeric keys cause it to light.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I think it is fairly straight forward programming. Nothing fancy, no other devices on a stock, new remote.

Seems like last time I fiddled with a JP1 I remember doing a reset somewhere in the process. But maybe that only applied when I added a eeprom to it. The 8820 was ready to go which was nice.

Thanks!

Update: I went and got IR ver 7.0 beta 3 and also got the current RDF file from the file section. That did not fix it. I also tried a second new remote and it behaves identically. Must be something I'm doing, not doing, etc.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into something weird like that once and what I did was

1) Did a reset on the remote
2) Downloaded form the remote
3) You may get a checksum error just click OK
4) Build your upgrade based on that download
5) Upload it to the remote

Let me know if that works since it may be a problem with the RDF causing the buttons to scramble.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the files (.txt file of the upgrade saved from KM, and .ir file containing the upgrade as tested, saved from IR.exe) to the diagnosis area and post their URL(s) back here.

I can test with my 8820 and CaptureIR, and if the problem is duplicated, I can determine whether there is a KM bug, or IR bug, or RDF error (unlikely since KM doesn't use RDFs) or something you've done wrong (such as a macro or learned signal so you're not testing what you think you're testing).
shorton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did not work. I did the setup, 9-8-0 reset, opened a new 8820 file in IR, downloaded from the remote, pasted my upgrade from KM, and uploaded. I did not get any checksum errors in the process.

I tried moving my functions to the number keys 1-5, changed device to 0000/TV, no luck, still works wrong. For example, Button 8, which isn't supposed to be programmed at all, shows up in IR as being programmed with OBC 00, EBC 018, although I did not program it. Also, pressing button 8 sends the OBC that button 3 is supposed to send.

Here are the RDF, KM and ir files:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4396

I've used the 8820 file from the main zip in the file section, and I used one from the site where I bought the JP1.2 cable(forget name, but the one linked here). I included both in the zip, neither work right.

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks John, I changed the original link to point to the diag ara.

Best,
Scott

Last edited by shorton on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That zip file is fine.

First results with CaptureIR:
Digits 0, 1, 2, 4 and 8 produce OBC numbers 5, 1, 2, 4, and 3. All other digits produce OBC number 0.

Looking at the upgrade in IR indicates digits 3 and 8 reversed from the tested results, while all other digits match test results.

I haven't thought of any plausible explanation yet, nor have I even looked at your KM file yet.

I'll need to tweak a bunch of things and see what changes do what to the behavior. I'm sure I'll figure it out (if no other expert explains it first). But so far the results are just weird.

BTW, it is normal that the digits you didn't program have hex command 00. It is impossible for an upgrade to program just some of the digits. It is either all digits or none. So if you tell KM to program just some of the digits, it needs to make up programming for the rest.

Some of the Radio Shack UEI remotes have a stupid anti-hacking feature that puts the remote into a mode where malfunctions similar to this are intentionally produced. I'm not aware of a similar feature in the 8820, but maybe there is one. In that case it would be some byte of the raw data that is not controlled by the RDF that ought to be controlled by the RDF in order to avoid turning on the intentional malfunction. That will be one of many things I check when I find time to test this more carefully.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am at work I can not test the upgrade but fundamentally it looks OK assuming the OBC's are really 1 - 5.

I should have said to do a 9-8-1 manufacturers reset so while we are waiting for John to check it out you may want to retry the steps with the 891 reset.
shorton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils & John:

The 9-8-1 reset appears to be a sucessful workaround, although the setup code apparently has to be something other than what I chose originally.

I played th e981 reset with it and it seemed to be working. Note that at the time I tried this, I had arbitrairly tries a different setup code (1999) in my KM upgrade file.

Since it appeared to be working, I went back where I had originally tried things, to see if it was the 981 reset only that was the cure. I set my setup code to 2012, and set my 5 OBC functions to the 5 buttons I wanted, (which inlclude the L & R buttons). Then:

-reset via 981
-in ir.exe, file, new "6820-8820-10820"
-downloaded from the remote
-applied my KM upgrade via paste into new device, and set tv device button to be type TV/2012
-downloaded to remote

Would not work. Arrow keys not functioning.

So, in KM I set back the setup code back to 1999 in KM, pasted to IR, and uploaded to remote (no reset).

Would not work.

So, I redid the whole thing:
- reset
- new IR 8820
- download from remote
- added new device (using setup code 1999)
- uploaded to remote

now it works.

Here are the files involved from the working version:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4397

It would be nice to do the upgrade without the reset, but as long as it works...
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorton wrote:
Nils & John:

The 9-8-1 reset appears to be a successful workaround, although the setup code apparently has to be something other than what I chose originally.

It would be nice to do the upgrade without the reset, but as long as it works...

I am not sure why this fixes it other than it worked for me but I do suspect an RDF problem so we will need figure that out.

As far having to do the reset, as long as you use the IR file that worked you should be able to modify it and reload it without the reset.
shorton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks. If I can help or you need any other files, please let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: