JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NewBie Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HkyFrk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: NewBie Help Reply with quote

Just fell over this group. Happy I did (wife not so happy). I ran and bought a OFA 8811 and read for the past 2 days. My setup is: RCA 2600 Home theater (recvr, DVD) DirectTivo ser1 and Sharp TV. What I want to do is: when I press the HT button I want the rcvr to turn on, switch to CBL/Sat input, power on the Tivo, Turn on the TV and turn to Imput 1. I need the usual keys to work + the special Tivo keys. Also if my son wants to watch a DVD a 6am (this remote could be a lifesaver) If he pushes the DVD button it should swith to all the appropriate inputs. (sorry for the life story) I gueass my questions are... Is this possible using the assorted software available, Do I need extenders and Toads (not quite sure about these yet) ? I have already " learned" all the keys already onto the remote.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to program macros to both the device buttons and the HT button, you will need to use one of the 8811 extenders. If you're not ready to tackle the extenders yet, you could program the macros to the shifted versions of those buttons without an extender (ie, you press SET once before you press HT or the device button).

You're only likely to need the ToadTog special protocol if any of your device lack discrete codes. Discrete codes are things like "power on" and "power off" as opposed to "power toggle", these are very useful for the sort of macros you describe.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, You need to buy or make a JP1 cable. I suggest you go to www.hovisdirect.com and buy the $14 cable. That includes shipping too. Smile

You will also need a windows computer (JP1 doesn't have a mac version of IR.exe) and this computer will need a parallel port (thats the printer port) to attach one end of the JP1 cable to.

(If you do not have a printer port, there are plans available to build a serial JP1 cable and a USB JP1 cable.)

Also, it does not hurt to have ms-excel, as many of the JP1 tools are ms-excel spreadsheets. if you have ms-excel, find the original discs and install the ms-excel analysis toolpaks.

In fact, you might as well go join jp1 at yahoo and start downloading the tools (I have a link in my signature line). Most important tools are in the tools folder; IMHO at the very least you need IR & KM (or RM). Also, if you feel brave, look in the device codes folder for devices that match your existing equipment and download these files as well. All these files are text files, so you may need to right click them and pick "save target as..". While you are waiting for your JP1 cable, you can be fiddling with these files in KM (Keymap Master). To load them into KM, start KM, and then press the load button in the upper middle of the top spreadsheet.

Good Luck,
JP1Files
HkyFrk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

for all the help. I am sure this will be one of many Q's.
I started this fantastic voyage and am in the need of some assistance. I downloaded my remote... the rcvr has a setup code of 1254 and 2 learned keys "0" and "8" which turns the rcvr to the proper input (sat or DVD). In Ir when I look at the leartned keys they both have the same EFC code just the device is different. One is 5 and the other is 7.
I also used KM to add my Hughes DirctTivo to the Remote. But now all I have is the Tivo on the remote. How do I now add the learned keys into this IR file so I could upload the entire remote? I tried to go to the Learned tab but there is no way to add keys.

Thanks
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is normal for RCA for multiple discrete input commands for one device to use the same EFC and use the device numbers of other devices.

You can define a KeyMove using setup code 1254 for those extra two discrete input commands. You need the "hex command" (rather than EFC) form of KeyMoves. The hex command you type should be the device number (5 or 7), then a 0, then a space, then the two digit hex command from the decode, which I assume was 3A. For example:
50 3A

It may be possible to define a smaller keymove in EFC mode using a different setup code, but I don't have those setup code numbers handy.

IR does not give you a way to move Learned signals from one file to another. If you really needed the learned signals you could start with the file containing them and then add everything else (upgrades etc.). But using the KeyMoves is probably better.

If you want to use KM to compute the hex command for you (from EFC or OBC number and device number) or to make a whole replacement for setup code 1254 that won't need the keymoves, use the "RCA Combo (Official)" protocol. KM uses an 'F' rather than a '0' as the second digit of those hex commands. That makes no difference.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my arsenol over a year ago (JP1 cable, two 1994 remotes, software), but today I have decided to go for "round 2" after failing at "round 1" over a year ago. I have drug the 2 1994's out of the closet, gotten the latest IR/RM running, have Excell installed, macros enabled, newest software downloaded. I can open KM and Device4 with no problem, I have read over the doc but I still am staring into space like a dummy and making no progress. Add to my arsenol a URC 8810w as of about 15 minutes ago.

Just for fun (and for an ounce of needed confidence), I download/upload from the 1994 with no problem - yea! my hardware is intact - I add a Echostar code with IR, download it to the remote and the 1994 takes it with grace and with the exception of a few keys, controls my new Dish Net 522 PVR like I would expect. (Humm I say, "nice but how do I correct some of the wrong button assignments"?)

Now I am driven by another factor. Nevermind that I gave up ony "round 1" last year after I tried to add my Sony SDP-E800 (digital audio to Dolby 5.1 which no one seems to have purchased but me) as a punch through device (or actually, to control it at all) from the 1994. How am I supposed to add this, I still wonder? Should I use the existing Sony remote and somehow take what I can learn from the doc to somehow use the 1994 learning feature to "map out" the entire keyboard of the original remote somehow? I have done multiple searches for this devide on Google and there is no JP1 reference data I can see, so I believe I am out of luck here. If I am on/off the right track now, where do I really begin with this process and what are some of the step 2,3,4, etc to make it happen?

Before now and when it only affected me, I could simply say "perhaps JP1 is the answer but too complicated for me to wade through until a later day" . However, today I am driven by the needs of the inlaws. The 82 year olds were loosing their eyesite and so santa gave them the low priced Apex HDTV to help out .... but oh, no, it looks like more trouble! Even if I am somehow able to get the proper Apex remote code loaded, or figure out how to add a code for the Apex GB51HD09 to make it work, they will still be dumfounded by having to push the "video" button up to 9 times to change from regular air programming to aux input(s). I assume the solution for them would be for me to purchase a more expensive "standard" TV or minimally program them a remote hosting a "macro", but I fear timing will also an issue with multiple button presses, so this sounds like the most tedious way to strech the capability of JP1 that I could choose, at best.

As a VB6 programmer, I am blushing to not be able to grab onto the JP1 interface and go with it, but like all my learning in years past, I need some walk through examples of how needs were met, step by step to resolve my problems. From these types of examples, then I am able to learn with the best.

Any suggestions or advice? THANKS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: