JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-9960 - Kameleon 8 - In France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squale_fr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: URC-9960 - Kameleon 8 - In France Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope I could find some help in this forum but my english is poor (because I'm French Embarassed).

So I've received from my aunt living in USA a Kameleon 8 (URC9960). I was happy because it seems to be a great remote control. But none of my device in France was recognize by it.
I've tried to learn my remote controls to it, but I can learn only four or five functions.
I've called OFAUSA but when I said I was French they said "Sorry, no support for French Customers" and my remote control was thrown in a drawer.

Today I've read that RC could be modify through a JP1 connector.

So I would like to know if it's possible to record the functions of all my remote controls and to put this functions instead of those preprogrammed. I explain, I have a Plasma TV LG 50PC1D. I would like to learn the code of the guide touch of the Plasma remote control and to put this code on the guide touch of the URC9960. Is it possible ?

I would like to control :
Plasma TV LG 50PC1D
DVD - PVR LG RH7800H
Satellite PVR - Digistation Relook 300S
Ampli-tuner - Sony STR-DE675

Could you tell me, if my wishes are possible, how to do this. I think I must to build a serial cable and download a software but where to find all specifications about them and documentations.

Thank you very much for all help you could bring to me.

Best Regards

Pascal Embarassed Embarassed
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you wish is possible, and quite easy to do.

The guide to using JP1 (in English I'm afraid) is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

The tools that you need to download are here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=7

As the URC-9960 Kameleon has pads rather than a regular 6-pin connector, you should also solder a 6-pin connector onto the pads.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour Pascal,

je suis "l'expert" francophone du site et Rob m'a demandé de t'apporter un peu d'aide.

Comme Rob l'indique, en plus du cable série, l'interfaçage de l'URC-9960 nécessite de souder un connecteur à 6 broches qui n'est malheureusement pas présent d'usine dans cette télécommande.

Si tu décides de faire cette modification, fais-le moi savoir, je t'aiderai pour la suite.
squale_fr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick answer, Rob. It's a pleasure to see somebody to help an other like that.

Merci aussi à toi Alain pour ton aide.
Je comprends assez bien l'anglais mais je ne suis pas vraiment à l'aise en thème et je n'aime pas trop écorcher la langue des autres en faisant des fautes d'orthographe ou de grammaire.

Je vais donc déjà lire le guide et je suis d'accord pour effectuer la modification de ma télécommande. J'attends donc tes instructions.

A bientôt.

Pascal

P.S. : C'est sympa Lausanne, mes parents habitent pas loin de Pontarlier.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you understand english, I will continue in english, for the sake of the other forum members.

Actually, there are three ways to interface the URC-9960 :

1) Soldering a 6 pins connector to the existing pads and using a standard JP1 cable (which you can buy or build yourself).
Pros : most stable interface
Cons : requires soldering

2) Using a special pogo adapter (which you can buy) and using a standard JP1 cable (which you can buy or build yourself).
Pros : requires no soldering
Cons : Is less stable (pogo pins must be held on the pads during programming) and requires buying an adapter (including shipping costs from the USA to France, as I doubt such a special adapter can be found in France).

3) Using the "wav" interface with which the remote can be programmed via its internal acoustic modem and your PC/laptop loudspeaker.
Pros : Requires no soldering, no cable.
Cons : Is one way only : the contents from the remote can not be read this way, only written. A major drawback of this is that you can not analyze the commands you learned from your existing remotes and hence rely on somebody else already having created upgrades for your devices. Programming also takes a longer time.

Let me know which interface you choose, then I can help you. 3) might be a good starting choice if you are not good at soldering or while waiting for the cable/components to arrive...
squale_fr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alain,

I wish to use the first way. I have an iron solder. But to solder the connector, must I to drill the pad or wich connector I must buy ?

I don't know if I can find the connector and all of the components requires for the JP1 cable next my home.
If I want to buy this cable and the connector, or even if I want to build it, do you know a reseller for this ?

I prefer to take my time and to have something better.
'Il n'y a pas le feu au lac et de toute façon depuis le temps que j'ai cette télécommande !!!'

Thank you

Pascal
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy all of what you need on line if you can't find an electronic parts supplier near you in france. digikey.com will ship internationally, I don't know about some of the other sources.

The parallel cable is the simplest to build, has been around for a long time and is pretty reliable. All of the parts are very common so nothing is really all that difficult to find, except maybe the 6-pin connector.

As for soldering onto the 9960, you do not want to drill. You can solder the header pins straight onto the 6-pads just below the batteries. I'd then put some epoxy on there for mechanical strength.

good luck!

-bill
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To buy a cable, contact DIYgadget.com. Ask them to supply a free 6-pin header with your cable, then solder this header into your remote.

You don't need to drill holes or anything, just place the 6-pin on the 6 pads and solder it in place while it stands there. After it is soldered, use hot glue for extra support.
squale_fr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rob and Bill.

I buy today a JP1 cable by DIYgadget.
I'm waiting it, and when I would received it and soldered then 6 pin header, I ask some help to continue.

Thank you very much for all.

Pascal
squale_fr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Today I've received my parallel interface from DyGadget and tonight I've soldered the 6 pin on my Kameleon. After I've trying to download the memory of the RC but with no success.

When I put the connector in a way, I have this message "No response from the remote. Make sure your interface is plugged into JP1 properly" and the display don't work.
If I turn the connector, I have an another message "No response from interface. Make sure that the interface is connected to the PC, and that you've specified the correct Port" and the display works.

I've trying different addresses for the parallel port, I've disabled the checking of the interface but without success. I think to be sure with my solder.

Do you have any idea and what kind of test could I do ?

Thank you very much

Pascal
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked that you don't have any shorts between the pins of the 6-pin? Have you tried the various battery combinations as specified here...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5849
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: