JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6131 extender version 2 beta -- want to test new features?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
jsevinsk wrote:
I would like to find a way to specify the four key codes and the total inputs in one place if possible.
I've never written any kind of protocol, nor have I looked at anything you've done thus far...

However, couldn't this be done as fixed data in a dummy upgrade? By that I mean specifying the required items as you would device and sub-device settings for any normal upgrade? That should allow your SP keymoves to only require 1 byte of data to represent the number of the desired "input".

I like that idea. Is there an easy way to change the fixed bytes in IR?

John
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
I moved the start of the Adv Codes to $500 and put a bunch of upgrades (the same with different setup codes) into the upgrade area. The one just before the boundary, the one that crossed the boundary and the one that was above the boundary worked fine in the 9960B01 extender.

haven't tested fully, but this is great news.

OK, so now that it looks like the ROM doesn't really care where this boundary is (at least for some remotes), what if the protocols and devices stayed at the low end like they are now, but the macros and keymoves started at the high end of memory and worked their way down? There would be no fixed boundary between the two. I could change the 6131 extender to search backwards, but it would also require a change to IR to pack these into memory backwards. I don't suppose it can do this already, can it?

Another way to make this more flexible is to keep the idea of the fixed boundary, but make it configurable, either by changing something with IR, or by editing the RDF file. The extender would just have to go grab the pointer to this area.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would require a good bit of work on IR's part, for example where would the table for the advance codes go?

Another suggestion would be for IR to allow the user to change (on the remotes where this would work) the beginning of the AdvCode section on the fly. It could then relocate everything that was in the old area, put it in order for the new area and move on. This would acheive the same result but it wouldn't have to work backward down, the search routines would work properly, etc.

Another reason not to do what you suggest is that (at least) some extenders use the ROM-based search routines for advance codes and thus expect that the tables be in a specific format.

BTW, I did not look at the 6131 to see if you can load up the upgrade table and find stuff across the boundary. I did this in the 6960 and 9960 extender and verified that it did work. What I did was build one large upgrade that took up lots of space with a bunch of non-used data. This forced the entire upgrade table above the boundary and the remote still found all of the upgrades.

-bill
mortod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having problems with this new extender (see seperate post in Extenders forum). When installing an upgrade produced with version 1 extender, I find many of the Device codes muddled up (eg O_PVR where there should be X_PVR). This seems to be because the keycodes have changed between the two extenders.

I also get odd behaviour when i try to add a new macro on the Shift_Phantom4 key - it appears on the Xshift-0 key. I would just carry on and use the v1 extender, but I would like to use the 'special protocols' section of IR, for DSM as well as the other special protocols (DSM macros remain in the keymoves section).

Any help appreciated.
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, your upgrades come from KM or RM. Muddling of the keys (O_PVR and X_PVR) indicates an rdf change.

The macro behavior is also a bit off. That can happen again, from using the wrong rdf.

I haven't looked at the 6131 beta 2. Is it distributed with a hex file that you have to merge with a clean non-extended setup, or is there an IR file to start? With a new extender hex that you merge yourself, you need to start with a clean 6131 version. The easiest way to get one is, disable the extender, then do a 981 reset after downloading and saving your current setup, of course. After the rest, download and merge that.

Best,
jeff

Last edited by greenough1 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mortod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when I load the example remote configuration that came with the extender, when I try to add a macro on shift-Phantom4 it is assigned to XShift-0. The implication is that the RDF file that came with the extender is at fault, and I can not find any newer RDF file. Checking the 'raw data' tab confirms that the PVR0PVx2 RDF file (the one that came with the extender) is indeed being used.

The 6131 beta 2 extender comes with a 6131ex2.hex file. You suggest that I should do a 981 reset - surely that just means I am starting with a clean (non extended) remote configuration (& .ir file), without all my existing macros and keymoves which will need to be re-created from scratch. Perhaps I am missing something, in which case I would appreciate some more details instructions (how to do 981 reset, how to disabled the extenderv1{remove the protocols, perhaps}. Or with the new extender, do I need to start again?

But, even if I do re-write all those macros, I am still stuck with the problem of not being able to assign a macro to that s-phantom4 key (and perhaps others). What should I look at within the RDF file to rectify?
mortod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further invetigation into the shift-Phantom4 issue, I have found:

When I add a macro to shift-Phantom for (or indeed add the key shift-Phantom4 in any other macro) it is displayed as XSHIFT-Key0. I can then add another macro on key XSHIFT-0. ie they are two distinct keys, so perhaps this is just a labelling issue.

I then also noticed in the RDF file, the entry XSHIFT=$C0 in the general section of the RDF file for v2 of the extender. v1 defaults to $00. Changing that entry to $00 then allows me to add macros to shift-Phantom4 as you would expect. But the XShift option is no longer displayed (the v1 RDF file explicitly defined the xs keys). I also notice that $C0 is the keycode for Shift-Phantom4.

Not sure what the answer is but I hope this points you in the right direction for finding a fix.

Of course this doesn't I think explain my problem with upgrading a configuration produced with the old extender. Please refer to the previous post and advise whether that should be possible.
greenough1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still contend you're using the wrong rdf. HERE you confirm the one you're using and it's not the one that comes in the 6131_extender_beta_2.0 folder. Here's the one you should be using, from the 6131_extender_beta_2.0 folder:

PVR0PVx2 (URC-6131(Old)_6131nwB00 PVR Remote Extender2 2K).rdf

Make sure you are selecting this rdf when you open the included 6131 Family Room.ir file. The easiest way to do this is to add this rdf to your existing rdf folder. When IR asks you which rdf you want, choose that one.

Starting with the 6131 Family Room.ir sample file is ok. Beginning with a newly reset (981 reset) remote image is also ok, but will require more work on your part.

jeff
mortod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I start with my remote config (built with the old extender) I don't get the option to use the RDF file that matches the new extender. But after running extinstall the new file does use the new RDF file (confirmed under the raw data tab).

But, in testing the shift-phantom4 issue, I am definitely using the PVR0PVx2 RDF - it is the only RDF file in my IR folder, and I have set the RDF folder to be that folder. It is the only option that comes up when I select File/New.

If I change the XSHIFT mask to $80 (ie 1000000 in binary) then the shift-Phantom4 problem goes away. But I'm not sure if that would have any adverse impact. It does at least confirm that the RDF file I am changing is having an impact - ie I am using the right one.

How do I do a 981 reset? Sorry to ask such a fundamental question, but a forum search doesn't reveal much.

From your response it does seem that I need to re-enter all my macros. Why did the keycodes changes for extender v2. Surely it would have made more sense to append all the new keys after the existing ones. Would it be possible for me to modify the RDF file so that the keycodes are compatible between the two extenders? Of course it would make my configuration totally non standard, but would save me a lot of work.
greenough1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the reset instruction post: RESET POST .

Changes to the rdf can/will scramble the key layout. It's not just a simple appending of new keys to a list of existing ones.

whenever you go to a new extender, you always have to re-enter all of your macros in IR. In addition, is you start from a vanilla state (981 reset) you'll have to add all of your upgrades again.

jeff
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff

I'd say that it is good practice to start from scratch when you switch extender versions, but it's not always necessary. If the extender writer has said that things are safe, then by all means go ahead and EXTINSTALL it.

But, when it comes to my extenders, I recommend that you always start from scratch with new versions since I don't test upgrading things so I cant' say if it will work or not. But in general, unless

1: the keys have moved
2: I've moved the entry points into the extender for a JP1.3

Chances are that replacing the extender code will work.
mortod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted. I upgraded my existing configuration with extinstall, and then manually changed all those functions for which keycodes had changed. It didn't take that long.

The s-phantom4 issue remains, but macros/keymoves on/with that key do still work so it does only seem to be a display issue. Still, it would be nice to resolve that one, but meanwhile I guess I will just avoid using s-phantom4.

I'm surprised no-one else has reported that problem - perhaps no-one else uses that particular key. Would be good if someone else could do a quick test to see if it is generic.
mortod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started having a look at the XActivate feature of this extender.

Isn't there a need for an X_Reset function?

If you set up the following:

Activate = PowerOn
ReActivate = TV/VCR
DeActivate = Mute
TV = X_TV, X_ACTIVATE
Power = X_TV, PowerOff

The first press of TV will turn the power on (the activate macro). A second press would select the TV/VCR input (reactivate). But upon pressing Power to turn everything off, the remote would then never be able to call the Activate macro again to power it back on again (as far as it is concerned that device has already been activated, even if some days ago, and so can only reactivate it).

The addition of an X_Reset function so that devices can again be activated would resolve that.

Or am I missing something?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Hal's answer in this thread
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5738
will help clarify the 6131 shift-phantom interpretation ambiguity.
mortod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. In the end I just added an entry 'Shift-Phantom4=$C0' to the RDF file, and IR then displayed it correctly, and it seems to work OK.

On another note, I did have problems when the key-move/macro area became close to full - the set key just made the led come on permanently, for example. Once corrupted I had to back out to an earlier version of my .ir file. The first time this happened I had gone over the limit, but deleted keymoves did not cause recovery. The second time, I got within about 15 bytes of filling it up. After that I just made sure to never get remotely close to capacity. Perhaps this is related to the memory discussions earlier in this thread, though I note that was with respect to device upgrade space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: