JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lutron MIR-600 (was: Moving keys from one mode to another)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Lutron MIR-600 (was: Moving keys from one mode to another) Reply with quote

This has to be a common question, but I can't find any posts about it...

I want to include keycodes from device X into the device Y mode. So e.g. I have a Lutron IR light control. I'd like to include some of the Lutron codes in my DVD and sat modes. I could program a macro that switches to the Lutron mode & back, but that would be really slow.

I assume you have to do this in IR. The Key Moves tab shows keymoves that are programmed in by the device upgrades. Do I just manually add keymoves on that tab, using the DVD Device Button (first column) but the setup code / hex / EFC /etc for the Lutron code?

Gary
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving keys from one mode to another Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I assume you have to do this in IR. The Key Moves tab shows keymoves that are programmed in by the device upgrades. Do I just manually add keymoves on that tab, using the DVD Device Button (first column) but the setup code / hex / EFC /etc for the Lutron code?
Yes. In the Function to Perform area of the Key Move dialog just specify the Device Type, Setup Code, and EFC/Hex for the Lutron upgrade.
garyfritz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's simple enough.

For some reason I had to learn the Lutron codes from my remote. The upgrade I downloaded isn't working, even in its native mode. I learned a few codes from the Lutron remote, and compared them to the upgrade. The upgrade had EFCs in the 30-238 range, but the EFCs in the remote (including keys I did not learn!) range from 9842 to 57303!? The hex codes match. ??

But the hex codes 82 22, 82 14, etc. The Key Move tab wants 2-digit codes. And do I enter the EFC *and* Hex code, or just pick one (and select the appropriate radio button) and it figures out the other one?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
The Key Move tab wants 2-digit codes.
Can you be more specific? Where does it want 2-digit codes?

Quote:
And do I enter the EFC *and* Hex code, or just pick one (and select the appropriate radio button) and it figures out the other one?
One or the other after selecting the appropriate radio button. In your case I would say entering the hex codes would be best.

Also, the setup code you specify for the key move must reside in the remote either built-in or as an upgrade (as well as the protocol code if necessary).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few Lutron upgrades in the file section, did you only try that one?

If you manage to get a working upgrade, it might be easier to copy the buttons from one button to another on the remote itself.

For example, using a URC-8910, to copy the MENU from DVD mode to TV mode you would...

1) Press and hold SET, screen reads CODE SET
2) Scroll up or down to KEYMOVER
3) Press SELECT, screen reads FROM MODE
4) Press "DVD", screen reads FROM KEY
5) Press "MENU", screen reads TO MODE
6) Press "TV", screen reads TO KEY
7) Press "MENU", screen reads SUCCESS
garyfritz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
The Key Move tab wants 2-digit codes.
Can you be more specific? Where does it want 2-digit codes?

Sorry -- the EFC/Hex Code input box rejects 4-digit Hex Cmd values, saying it's not in the range $00 - $FF. In EFC mode it accepts the 5-digit values shown in the EFC column of the Devices tab, but stores only the bottom byte.

Why does IR show 5-digit EFC codes in the Devices tab? The Lutron upgrade that I loaded didn't have 5-digit EFC codes. For example: DIM UP in the Lutron upgrade is 030 / 146 / 82 22 (EFC / OBC / Hex). Load that upgrade into IR and the Devices tab says EFC = 22247 (= 56 E7 hex), Hex = 82 22.

Quote:
Also, the setup code you specify for the key move must reside in the remote either built-in or as an upgrade (as well as the protocol code if necessary).

It's in there -- I loaded the Lutron upgrade into the remote.

Though that didn't work, and I had to learn the buttons. But unless I'm missing something, the Hex/EFC codes on the Devices tab don't look any different than the upgrade's original codes. I suspect the list in the IR Devices tab doesn't get updated when you learn keys, and they're only listed in the Learned Signals tab?

How do you create an upgrade from the learned signals? The "Just how easy is it" tutorial says to look on the Learned Signals tab of IR, but that is apparently for an older version of IR. IR 7.00 doesn't show OBC / EFC / etc, but only raw signal information.

Rob, there are a number of Lutron upgrades, but I have a Lutron MIR-600 so that's the one I used.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Rob, there are a number of Lutron upgrades, but I have a Lutron MIR-600 so that's the one I used.

But I think you'll find that all the upgrades use the standard Lutron codeset. I think you're best move at this point would be to load up the IR file with the learned signals in it so we can see what they look like.
garyfritz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that. But in the meantime it occurs to me that I'm making this way too complicated.

I only plan to use 2 Lutron buttons. I'm only going to use them in 2 modes (DVD and SAT).

Why load a Lutron upgrade at all?? I should just learn those buttons, and upload them into my working IR file.

That way I don't have the flexibility of editing EFCs/etc in RM and IR, but it's simple and it gets the job done.

BTW the Lutron has two sets of on/off controls: one (Full on/off) fades all the way to on or off, with one keypress. The other (Dim up/down) raises or lowers the brightness as long as you hold down the button.

I wanted to use Dim Up and Full off -- so I could raise the lights slightly if I wanted to, but it just took a single button press to turn them off.

But that didn't work. Dim Up raised the brightness one step and stopped, even if I held down the button. I had to hit the button multiple times to raise it all the way. Why?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Probably due to some limitation in the way the button was learned. We could tell you for sure if we could see the learned signal.
garyfritz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here you go: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4410

I know the DVD CH+ / CH- buttons worked for the Lutron.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done decoding the signals that you learned and can confirm that they match the standard Lutron codeset, so any one of the Lutron upgrades in the file section should work for you. If you couldn't get the upgrade to work, it's probably due to user error, the most likely causes being that you either forgot to copy the protocol upgrade along with the device upgrade or you forgot to assign the upgrade to a device button. If you post a copy of the IR file that contains the upgrade, we might be able to spot what you did wrong.
garyfritz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gack!! You nailed it, Rob. I totally missed the Lutron protocol. Embarassed
garyfritz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I loaded the protocol, and now the Lutron upgrade works to control the lights.

But the keymove into the DVD mode still doesn't work. I think I'm back to "why does the Lutron mode have such weird codes and how do I Keymove them?"

In RM, the upgrade says Lutron uses sensible EFC values between 030 and 238, and the Hex values are all 2-byte. In IR the same upgrade shows 5-digit EFC values (!?!?) and the same 2-byte Hex values. The Key Move tab in IR only accepts 1-byte Hex, and stores only the low byte of large EFC values.

So how do I work with that??
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about the regular EFCs as they don't apply here. If you want to do the keymoves using IR you will need to enter both bytes of hex data (which IR will let you do, what makes you think it won't).

But like I said earlier, it might just be easier to copy the buttons from one mode to another on the remote, once you have loaded the upgrade.
garyfritz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Forget about the regular EFCs as they don't apply here. If you want to do the keymoves using IR you will need to enter both bytes of hex data (which IR will let you do, what makes you think it won't).

I tried. It wouldn't let me. In hex mode it insisted on a value between $00 - $FF. In EFC mode it just threw away the top byte and stored the bottom byte.

Quote:
But like I said earlier, it might just be easier to copy the buttons from one mode to another on the remote, once you have loaded the upgrade.

I'd really rather have a setup that doesn't get overwritten every time I download a new setup to the remote. Do those on-remote keymoves get uploaded to IR? Is there any reason to prefer that approach over learning the buttons and uploading that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: