JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Charter remotes JP1s?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevdig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Charter remotes JP1s? Reply with quote

I found some Charter remotes at a surplus place for a buck each. They both have JP1 connectors in the battery compartment. There are some stickers in there as well with URC numbers:

URC-4393B00
URC-2910B01

Are these useable as JP1 remotes?

kevin
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have a 6-pin, they can undoubtedly by used with JP1. If they are a re-badged version of an existing remote, you may find that there's already an RDF for each of them, but if IR doesn't recognize them, a new RDF will need to be created.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Charter remote not too long ago that was JP1-able. It used a Millenium 4 RDF. I never noticed any URC model numbers, so I can't confirm if it would have matched yours.
kevdig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: RM useful? Reply with quote

Would that Java thing (Remote Master?) be of any use?

The one labeled URC-4394 has numbers that are in the shape of the number. The 1 looks like a 1, the 2 like a 2 and so on. It also has a sliding door at the bottom that conceals the transport buttons (6 of them plus a tv/vcr button). It appears to be a 4 device remote.

The other one sorta has an hour glass shape. The number buttons are at the bottom. Above them are the transport buttons. Next is a row containing three buttons (mute, back, and last). Then there are three rocker controls (volume, scroll, and channel). After another row of three buttons (guide, info, and favorite) is a directional navigation ring (up, down, right, and left). The center has an ok button. Above this is a dozen or so special function buttons. It also has a button at the top labeled "ctrl" that cycles between 5 devices: audio, aux, cable, dvd, and vcr. There are 5 device lights that are arranged in an arc at the top. Does not seem to have a tv device. I also can't find the setup button?

kevin
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looked like this one, the first one you described. And yes, RM would be helpful since it has pictures of each model.
kevdig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: urc-4393 Reply with quote

The one I have that is labeled urc-4393 does look VERY similar to the millenium 4. But it has a few missing buttons here, a few extra there. Is it possible to modify the rdf file to work with this one?

I have managed to figure out how to program it to control a JVC tv and VCR (0053 & 0067) and a Yamaha receiver (0176). But only the most basic functions work. Is that the best I will be able to do with this remote? Will I be able to use all the buttons on this thing for functions with a custom device upgrade? For example, could I use the scroll toggle (rocker control) to make item selections in the menus for the Yamaha?

Also, anyone have any idea how to program the other one, the URC-2910?

kevin
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: urc-4393 Reply with quote

kevdig wrote:
The one I have that is labeled urc-4393 does look VERY similar to the millenium 4. But it has a few missing buttons here, a few extra there. Is it possible to modify the rdf file to work with this one?

Also, anyone have any idea how to program the other one, the URC-2910?

kevin

Hey Kev, I sent you a PM, did you get it? I'd like to get a couple of these remotes myself so I can create RDFs for them, but I would need the store info.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have versions of the RDFs available here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4442
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4443
sleung

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up one of the URC-2910B01 from surplus also, and it
looks like it will be great as an MCE remote.

Is there any support for this in KM to create a device upgrade for it?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that this remote will ever be added to KM as I have it on good authority (ie, from UEI) that there weren't very many of them made.

But, once the RDFs are complete you should be able to use RM to create upgrades for it.
sleung

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I guess I'll wait for the RDFs to be completed.
Thanks for the support.
sleung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Any plans to spend time to finish the RDFs for these remotes?
I know there's not much demand for it, but it would be good to
be able to put one of these into service.
Thx.

Sherman
StillLearning

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Charter URC-2910B01 Reply with quote

I also have one and would like to obtain a RDF for this model. Charter URC-2910B01

Does anyone have a manual and setup codes for this unit?

How do a setup other devices. It does not have a setup key that is obvious.

If I download RAW with RM and change device codes at locations reported by Robman's prelim RDF can I safely upload back to the remote?

RobMan's post stated it was not complete.

I am new to these forums, but not new to coding (35 yrs).

I have not located any manual or doc that (completely) describes the procedure on making of an RDF or I would attempt doing so myself.

I have seen the RDF3Spec doc, but it does not describe where or how the:

ButtonMap
Procotols
DigitMaps

Sections are produced or derived at.

I would need a mentor to assist me for a short period of time, perhabs I could then become a contributing member of this group.

2). I DLed Mapthis and basically understand it's operation.

How does one produce an image file?

I tried using my digital camera but can not get a picture at a close macro depth to see all of the keys clearly.

Thank You

StillLearning
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: