JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

iconremote
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as a longtime JP1 supporter and user, there's something to be said for having button labels that match button functions. (especially when reminded frequently by an annoyed spouse)

My numerous Radio Shack remotes, RCA RCU810, and Replay 5040 OEM remotes have all been JP1-ized. At this time, though, all are currently shelved, along with all the OEM remotes, and replaced with an IconRemote. (Not entirely true. My kids are still using a JP1-ized RS remote in their TV room.)

Very important to note, however, that JP1 allowed me to program my Replay unit codes in to the 5040 OEM remote, then learn them into the IconRemote. JP1 still lives here!
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an Icon today. At $29 how far wrong could I go?
Quite impressive. The only negative I have found so far is that there are NO device keys as such. They are soft keys (called mode buttons) and can not be macroed...
A lot more later.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have most of my stuff programmed. Very impressive. Learning is easy and fast. Display and labelling exceeds anything I have seen in a remote. There are 10 devices available. EACH has 30 learning softkeys available. I do not know what the total learning capacity is, but it must be huge. Has RF capability, both X10 control and the ability to transmit IR commands to other rooms (with the appropriate receiver).
I have to push an extra button to make up for the no macro device keys, but I put the button on the first page of the display for each device so it is easy to do.
More as I go along (if anyone is interested).
Still available @$29...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tennessee,

Do you have a link to this deal? All I can find is the old, expensive IR only model.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
tennessee,

Do you have a link to this deal? All I can find is the old, expensive IR only model.

Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B001CDOTSI?tag=j0df-20

xnappo
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's a good deal, but I don't think it's the X10 RF version. OP sent me an X10 email with the deal. Price was back up to $39 by the time I tried it though, so I passed this time. I was mainly interested in RF.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF version still available @ $29. I think today will be the last day....
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X10 has just released a new version of the RF Icon remote called Nstinct. Button layout has been reworked, case shape redesigned, and RF and learning improved.
Intro price $29.95
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Nstinct.

After using it for a day, it is an ergonomic disaster compared with its predecessor ICON remote.! I use it primarily with a cable DVR. The only good thing about it is the bigger, softer side keys. They made the transport keys (play, stop, pause, rewind, FF, record, replay and advance) smaller and closer together, almost impossible to use. The OK key and the 4 arrow keys around it are run together with no spacing. OK has a terrible feel. Moving the volume and channel keys away was a minor improvement.
I have to say that the ICON, even with its poor layout, is a much more comfortable and easier to use remote. I will dispose of the Nstinct ASAP....

I need to clarify. I use a remote by holding it in one hand and pressing keys with my thumb. This is most definitely a 2 handed remote!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: