JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choosing a remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
As far as format, I could produce this file in crobat, HLP, HTML. I've got lots of tools in my arsenel. I chose DOC because I wanted it to be maintainable by anyone.

The problem with DOC files is that no two WP's - which includes two different versions of the same WP - have quite the same idea about what they are. DOC files work great if you've got everyone using the same version of the same WP software, but once you get people using different versions, or on different platforms, or different WP's implementations of the format, you'll find formatting information getting lost, images not appearing, documents that cause WP's to hang, and so on.

I don't know of a format that *doesn't* have that kind of problems that is also powerful enough for the document at hand (well, well-crafted HTML would do it, if you don't mind distributing a bunchbof files instead of just one). A free WP's internal format might be better than a commercial WP's internal format, since those are more likely to be multi-platform and don't involve people spending money to get them.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Were the 8910 and 9910 B00 the only remotes to have the "dreaded" donuts?
Yup.
vickyg2003 wrote:

I suppose I should mention variations.

Oddities

Some keys are restricted without extenders.

I know that Fav Keys are very restrictive in there use. Any others?
Com/Skip seems to be one of those odd ones on some remotes.

vickyg2003 wrote:

Any other oddities about these remotes that I ought to comment on.
8910/9910 can have macros programmed on their Device buttons (not from the Keyboard, but using JP1 tools - even without the extender). I believe there are other such remotes out there, but that is still the exception rather than the rule.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
lwt42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cywelchjr wrote:
PDF may be more reliable, but outside of Linux, finding free ways to generate PDF files not always easy to do.

Over the past six months or so, I've moved from Microsoft Office to Open Office -- and Open Office Writer generates good PDF files directly.

... and seems to read most everything I've thrown at it.

It's free, and it runs nicely on Windows (and I suspect *nix as well).
lwt42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

My minor grumble is: there is a gap between the highly technical information (like how to load and program an extender) and the basic (which remote has nice PVR buttons, or why would I want an extender).

You know what, YOU can write up some beginner documents. I was planning on adding a remote section to my irhelp file, but here is a preliminary version. It has key layouts and features of remotes if you are considering purchasing a JP1 remote.

I just posted.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4318

Take a look and see if this is the type of information you wanted to see.

Vicky,

This is very useful, thanks for your time and effort.

I could write some beginner documents, but part of the problem is that I'd have to become more than a beginner, and like those who came before me, I won't need beginner docs. then.

I've got my existing 8910 to the point where it is definitely "good enough" and I'm thinking about how to change it around a bit, especially when my new one gets here.

It's not entirely perfect, and I think I should be able to get the PVR keys in better spots.

I haven't loaded the extender because I don't completely understand what I'd get from the extender at this point.

I'm sure I'm missing something important....

-- Lynn
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added the 6960 and 9960 Kameleon's to the file, and changed the 6690 info to reflect that it is a learning remote too.

Lynn, I'm more or less a beginner too. I set up my remote 3 years ago and then left the forum. But I recently bought a new piece of equipment that required an "upgrade" and also forced me into an extender. I had been reluctant to try to use one, but once I did, I was hooked. With the use of Long key presses, double key presses, Device specific macros, xShift, and ToadTog, I've been able to make my remote handle all my needs.

I documented stuff as I went along. Getting my mind around this stuff was a huge learning curve. I put my thoughts together in the irhelp file. You might want to take a look in there to get an idea of what extenders can do.
lwt42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Lynn, I'm more or less a beginner too. I set up my remote 3 years ago and then left the forum. But I recently bought a new piece of equipment that required an "upgrade" and also forced me into an extender. I had been reluctant to try to use one, but once I did, I was hooked. With the use of Long key presses, double key presses, Device specific macros, xShift, and ToadTog, I've been able to make my remote handle all my needs.

(snipped)

My story isn't that different -- seems I go six months to a year and then I get some new gadget (the latest is a Viewsonic 3760w) and invariably I get something that lacks a built-in definition.

So, I've figured out some stuff, and then just enjoy things until I find a different hole that needs to be plugged.

... I like the 8910, but I think I ought to be able to get it to do more.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn,
Do you find the learning curve as steep as I do? Go away for 3 years and come back and everything has changed. Not a lot, but just enough to make you have to really work to get the most out of these FANTASTIC tools.

You might as well bite the bullet and investigate the extenders. They really have a lot to offer. I found they can make the remotes much more user friendly. That long key press/double keypress and device specific macros multiplexor and xShift and X_ keys really open up a whole new world. A

For example I need both the instant replay and chapter skip on my 8811, and get both moves out of the same key depending on how long I hold it down. You might be able to get your thumbs up/ thumbs down to be on the same key, using either a long or short keypress, or a click or double click key press.

Changing the location of the Shift key, was really a big bonus for me too. The set key is just not usable for me, but I moved my shift key to another key and it works great! And then there is the xShift, where you can have 3 functions per key. The regular key, the Shift-key and the xShift key.

I've always been very happy with my JP1 remotes, but the extenders really enhance them.
lwt42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Lynn,
Do you find the learning curve as steep as I do? Go away for 3 years and come back and everything has changed. Not a lot, but just enough to make you have to really work to get the most out of these FANTASTIC tools. (much good advice snipped)

Yes, I do find the learning curve to be steep, and it doesn't take 3 years, it only takes 6-12 months.

The tools are great, and I think what I'm able to do is better than remotes costing 10x the price -- but it takes time to come back up to speed and then figure out what I want to do.
mwm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Amazon won't sell you a JP1 cable though, so you'll still need to get one from elsewhere.

True. I can only find instructions for paying you with PayPal. Being
one of the thousands of people that paypal has ripped off, I won't use
them. Do you have another payment option?
mwm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Speaking of formats Reply with quote

I just stumbled across something that would be really useful for this kind of thing. The folks at dabbledb.com are allowing people to create free databases for public data. That's nearly perfect for things like the list of remotes. I'll put investigating this on my list of things to do, and hope that someone will get to it before I do.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwm wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Amazon won't sell you a JP1 cable though, so you'll still need to get one from elsewhere.

True. I can only find instructions for paying you with PayPal. Being one of the thousands of people that paypal has ripped off, I won't use them. Do you have another payment option?

While I prefer Paypal because it's quicker and easier, I accept just about every form of payment there is. Email or PM me for my snail mail address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: