JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Updated RDF's Maps, and Images Version 1.26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Should the [ButtonMap], [DigitMap], and [Protocols] sections of an rdf and its associated extender rdf be identical? Intuitively, that would seem to be the case, but can an rdf expert confirm this?

If so, then unclemiltie's 3A00 and 3A33 extender rdfs do not currently match the latest 3000 and 3033 rdf's that Binky just uploaded.

I'm happy to update unclemiltie's extender rdf's to reflect this conformity, but want to be sure that is the correct thing to do.

(I'm repeating this post in unclemiltie's JP1.3 extender thread to ensure he sees it, as well)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Question: Should the [ButtonMap], [DigitMap], and [Protocols] sections of an rdf and its associated extender rdf be identical?

Since extenders make no changes in those areas they should be identical. Sometimes when writing extenders errors are found and fixed so we just need to figure out which one is correct.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweaked all of the rdf's per preceding discussions. All now have consistent [DeviceType], [DeviceTypeAliases], [ButtonMap], [DigitMap] and [Protocols] sections.

Re-zipped updated variants of ALL current Atlas (URC-1054, 1055 and 1056 baseline and extender) RDF files, and maps and images for the URC-1056 OCAP remotes.

Note that the 3A00 and 3A33 extender RDF's are still associated with Beta version 0.02 of the Atlas JP 1.3 extender and may still evolve.

Also note that although there are RDF's for both the 1K and modified 2K versions of the 1054 (SA_7), there is only an extender RDF for the 1K variant. I haven't seen the extender modified for the 2K modified version of the remote.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got em. Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils,

Could some of the rdf names be simplified, like "CPT0CPT0 (URC-8910(Old)_9910(Old)_8910(New)_9910(New)_HTPro).rdf"?

Thanks
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Nils,

Could some of the rdf names be simplified, like "CPT0CPT0 (URC-8910(Old)_9910(Old)_8910(New)_9910(New)_HTPro).rdf"?

Thanks

If you are asking if for example could this particular one be made with a shorter name the simple answer is yes. However, it would require turning it into 5 separate files. The naming convention is designed so we can have one RDF for similar remotes and also have separate images for RM based on the sequence of names. If you look inside this RDF you will see a line like

ImageMap=URC-9910Old.map,URC-9910Old.map,URC-9910New.map,URC-9910New.map,HTPro.map

which defines what images/maps match the names on the outside.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes since. Thanks for the explanation.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Just noticed Nils' reply which is much more eloquent, succint and to the point, but I'll leave my rambling missive below anyways. Very Happy
mdavej wrote:
Nils,

Thanks
Let me take a stab at this one:
The actual filename is somewhat immaterial (although I understand that if you are trying to start a NEW IR file in IR.exe from the "File>New" selection it may be a bit confusing) since in general in IR you do NOT start your work from a blank RDF, so the filename doesn't matter. You download FROM your remote, and IR.exe selects the correct RDF automatically.
(I know there is the exception when several RDF's for the same signature exist, but that is not the general case)

In RM, however, the structure of the filename is very specific, and although it may appear complex, I think you would agree that (perhaps not, but IMHO) the remote names that appear in the drop-down list are for the most part intuitive and readily understood.

For example, in the specific example you cite, that single RDF covers FIVE externally different remotes that use the same internal chip, signature and programming, and if you "simplify" the RDF name, you lose the ability to have them all appear individually in RM. This would force either:
(1) Creating FIVE RDFs with the same exact internal information, with the resulting burden of IR being unable to auto-select, but instead having to ask you to select from one of FIVE identical RDF sigs, not to mention maintaining FIVE RDFs instead of ONE; or
(2) If you keep only 1 "name-shortened" RDF, you would have confused users, who cannot find "their" RDF, since it's named "8910" instead of "9910" and/or who will see an 8910 image with the donut ring, when they are trying to program their HT Pro, which looks considerably different.

So this naming convention has gone through a few iterations through the years, but it seems to work pretty well with the current batch of tools.

That is not to say they CANNOT be better-named, but one would hope that any alternative would result from an attempt to improve usability rather than just simply an effort to shorten filenames.

We just went through a drill as the Atlas family of UEIC Cable-box remotes have been coming onto the market and as we discover that several of them share appearances, but in some cases have different chips/signatures, button names and layouts, and have tried to bring them all into a conformed system. That work may not be done, but overall I think the experts here do a pretty good job of balancing the complexities of the tools with the user-friendliness of the user-interfaces.

Amazon Firestick
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai has done an excellent job of building RDF's, maps and images for the Kameleon type remotes to take advantage of the multi image capability built into RemoteMaster.

He linked all of them for me so I have been testing and it has raised a question.

For the next release of the RDF's, Maps and Images should I just ship the Multi Image versions and delete the single image versions OR should I keep both in the distribution?

I did test the removal of the single image RDF's and existing RM files open and assign buttons and modes just fine so it is not really a problem going to multi only but I am looking for opinions.
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
For the next release of the RDF's, Maps and Images should I just ship the Multi Image versions and delete the single image versions OR should I keep both in the distribution?

I did test the removal of the single image RDF's and existing RM files open and assign buttons and modes just fine so it is not really a problem going to multi only but I am looking for opinions.

If you haven't decided yet, here's my 2 cents. I had originally gave them different names from the single image versions because I only have the URC-6690 (which is the hybrid version, and not much of a Kameleon), so I haven't tested any of them extensively. Unclemiltie has tested the URC-9960 and the URC-6960 extensively so those seem ok. For the other models, I just went by what is shown in the manual for the lit buttons for each mode, and what is in the existing RDF for the single image versions. I had listed some possible problem I noticed here. Since the multiple image versions don't cause any catastrophic errors and any minor revisions for errors in lit buttons can be made later, and as far as I can tell would be the same error would exist in the single image versions, my vote is for just having the multi image versions. It will be less confusing, especially with all the extended versions already there that causes multiple listings for a single remote anyway. If any users of the multiple images for other models can confirm everything seems ok, that'd be even better, though.

Two notes, though. One thing I did notice was that if you have the "Image" file somewhere else besides under the folder for Remotemaster, even if you changed the setting in the property file, the multiple images are not found, but the single images are ok.

The other thing is that I believe only models of Kameleon that I had not worked on is the URC-8210 and the RS 15-2133 because the manuals for those models does not show what buttons are lit at what modes. Since then, gertc had done a multiple image version for URC-8210, so only the RS 15-2133 does not have a multiple image version. If someone can tell me what each screen looks like on the 15-2133 (maybe pictures of all the screens on all the modes), I'd like to work on that one as well.
chud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the links on first page are broken (appears to have been updated today)
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chud wrote:
the links on first page are broken (appears to have been updated today)

That is because version 1.28 came out awhile ago

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9409
StillLearning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Charter URC-2910B01 Reply with quote

After read the orginal post The Robman states he finished the DIG0DIG0

Charter URC-2910B01 RDF

Quote:
I also added in some of the newer RDFs from the file section, such as...
DIG0DIG0 - Charter URC-2910
UMIAUMI0 - Charter URC-4393
10231023 (URC-8204 Kameleon)
10261026 (URC-8203 Kameleon)
10481048 (URC-8210 Kameleon) Rough RDF based on URC-8206
10621062 (URC-7780 Stealth 12).rdf [initial]
30333033 (Atlas 5 PVR w/ Day JP1.3)
10431043 (cOX urc-7820).RDF

I appears the Nils was going to include this new additions to 1.27.

I have 1.28 and can not locate the RDF for the URC-2190B01.

If I'm blind I appplogize.

Could some informed party please point me to that RDF and Map?

If a map does not exist. I can attempt to make one if you tell me how to get a close digital macro jpg.

Thank You

Bruce
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, when you can't find files in the 'released' Rdf's you should check in the RDF's that are under development

File Section-Tools-Rdf Files

The file you are looking for is there.
StillLearning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickyg2003:

I did check there also.

The one you reference in that section is The Robman file that is not completed.

I'm looking for a completed one, as I am not up to speed on finishing the protocol section.

Any idea on the correct procedure in producing the digital jpg image for the map.

My digital camera will not allow me to produce an image up close to show the keys in a defined manner?

I'm assuming that one uses a digital camera, if one needs to draw the picture then I'm not your (stick)man.

One other question Vickyg.

If I raw download the 2910 and use the TheRobman RDF to locate the device memory spaces, can I Upload the raw modified data back to the remote without harm to the remote?

I ask because I only have one of these units and no manual to go by.

It does not have a defined "Setup" key so I have no idea how to setup this remote for TV DVD... and the like.

I don't want to kill the remote..AT this time, ha maybe later.

I bought this remote to play with, but a first time shot at destruction is not a good starting point.

Thank You.

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: