JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Skip on Motorola DCT 6412
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the process in KM:
On setup Remote= 8911, Device type =TV setup code =1104(These form one of Rob's set of instructions for PPS . I don't know why these were chosen, but I suspect it doesn't matter much.
Key Moves - set three up for 1,2,3 sec pauses on phantom 1,2 , 3
Copied to IR - first glitch- got a warning that TV 1104 is not assigned to a device button. Not covered in Help instructions. What do I do here?

I will continue when I get an answer to this one...
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device setup code number (TV/1104) is indeed your choice, BUT
(1) TV/1104 has traditionally been used for Pause;
(2) It has a special status in the RDFs and Extenders; and
(3) Will appear (and work) properly on IRs Special Functions Tab if you use TV/1104.

Using a different Device/Number combination has a greater potential for confusing matters.

Back in KM, do NOT create and assign the Pauses on the Buttons sheet. Instead, create them on the Keymoves sheet. When doing so, in column B, do not leave the default selection "(upgrade)". Select whatever device you want those pause phantom buttons associated with ("CBL"?) and import the modified keymoves.

Then you will see the Keymoves section on the Setup sheet has its own little "Copy and Paste" code. Just like the Protocol and Device upgrades, you Copy and Paste that into IR, but on the Keymove Tab after clicking on "Import".

Then those Pause keymoves will apear on the Special Functions tab, bound to the CBL device and you can use them in macros.

Oh by the way, the Pause Special Protocol is available in RM as well, so there was no reason to switch to KM JUST for that reason. Sorry if my earlier post suggested that KM was the only way to do this. It was the first one that popped into my head, but RM works just fine, as well. If there was another reason you switched, that's fine. It's no biggie either way.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)

Last edited by Capn Trips on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do y'all realize that RM supports the Pause protocol also?
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. On the paste, do I assign the new upgrade to a device button in IR???
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg: Yes I do, but the instructions were even less clear (to me, no reflection on them) than KM in this case. So for this exercise, I'll stick with KM
Thanks
Elliot[/quote]
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
When doing so, in column B, do not leave the default selection "(upgrade)". Select whatever device you want those pause phantom buttons associated with ("CBL"?) and import the modified keymoves.

Then you will see the Keymoves section on the Setup sheet has its own little "Copy and Paste" code. Just like the Protocol and Device upgrades, you Copy and Paste that into IR, but on the Keymove Tab after clicking on "Import".

Then those Pause keymoves will apear on the Special Functions tab, bound to the CBL device and you can use them in macros. "

This was where things fell apart. Protocol Help says leave the device selection "upgrade" . Apparently that is not correct. So I made that column CBL (to agree with the 1493 device where it will be used). Did the copy and paste and import,a nd 3 keymoves appeared on the Keymoves tab. I do not see the "Special Functions" tab you refer to. Where is that??
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got through that. "Special functions" is actually "Special protocols". and the 3 keymoves do appear there. I added the device upgrade and protocol, and uploaded to reote. Same result. Still appears to be ouputting only one FF. Posted that IR in Diagnosis, same filename - axelnew8910
Sorry, I can't grasp that link thing!
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success (partial at least) The macro works, but not on the key I first assigned it to. I apparently have something to learn about macros!
What was happening was depressing the M3 key was executing a macro that I previously had stored there "3, FF" for a 3 minute skip on the replays, even though downloading the remote showed the macro that I thought I had stored i.e.:FF,phantom1.....etc. I tried it on L4, didn't work there, I guess there is a rule no macros on learning keys. So I temporarily put it on INFO nad it works. Too slow and choppy. I will have to mess with the timing and see if I can get it smoother.
So, in summary, we did find an inconsistency in the KM Protocol Help instructions that was preventing me from getting through it. (Thanks Capn!)
I will "clean up after the elephants" and hopefully post an upgrade with something that works well.
And do some homework on macros!
Thanks again
Elliot
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I wrote that you are mixing up 2 separate things. I still think that you are doing so. The Pause function does NOTHING to your PVR. All it does is tell your remote to wait before sending the next signal.

The FFwd function IS NOT A 30-SEC SKIP. It is just a FFwd.

Examine each step of the macro that you have created. What does it do?

FFwd - sends a FFwd signal, so you expect your PVR to start Fast Forwarding
Pause - sends no signal, just makes your remote wait ~1 sec before processing the next function
FFwd - sends another FFwd signal, so your PVR CONTINUES to FFwd...and so on...

Again, as I expained way back when, your net result is your PVR is Fast Forwarding at the end of the sequence. What exactly do you expect multiple sends of the FFwd function to accomplish?

Capn Trips wrote:
Your macro executes the following:

FFwd
EFC 011 from your VCR/1493 device upgrade (not a "Pause")
FFwd again
EFC 011 again
and repeats this a few times.

I don't know what EFC 011 does, but at the end of the sequence, I would expect your CBL device to be Fast-Forwarding.

I think you are mixing up 2 separate things:

Dilligaf wrote:
Cbl 0476 efc 0049 is 30 second skip forward.
This is not a macro. This is a straight EFC that (if it works for your unit) could/should be assigned via Keymove to whatever button you want. If it works properly, it will cause whatever is playing on your DVR to skip ahead 30 secs. (I note that in your CBL device (VCR/1493) you have this EFC assigned to the left arrow. If your upgrade is based on CBL/0476 - as it appears to be - then have you tested to see if this EFC works as a 30-sec. skip?)

If that function does not work on your unit, then you can create a macro to emulate that behaviour. I don't know anything about your unit's FFwd speeds, but typically, this involves three distinct steps:
(1) a "FFwd" command (or several, if perhaps 1 press of FFwd gives you 2x speed and 3 presses gives you 12x speed),
(2) a pause command to allow the PVR to advance a bit, and then
(3) a "Play" command to stop the fast-forwarding.

Your step (2) is not executing a Pause (see below), and you have no step (3).

You will have to tweak the duration of the Pause to get the total time that is Fast-Forwarded through calibrated to whatever interval you desire (30 secs, 1 min, 5 min, whatever). Remember that the "Pause" time is not the time interval you want to advance your PVR. It is the time you want to elapse between executing the FFwd function and executing the Play function - usually between 1-5 secs.

As I outlined in that post, you need a SINGLE "FFwd" signal as the first step of the macro, followed by as many "Pause"s as you need the remote to wait for, followed by a "Play" function TO TAKE THE PVR OUT OF FFwd.

(Again, since you have not really made it clear, I merely suggested that it is possible that you get a higher FFwd SPEED if you press FFwd several times in succession - like my Sky+ PVR cycles from 2x to 6x to 12x to 30x, but if so, then you don't need Pauses in between, just the number of FFwds that get you to "top speed", THEN a few pauses, then a "Play".)

However, why are you doing this?

In one of your other more recent posts you said that the 30-sec. skip function works fine. (You have not yet confirmed whether or not this is the "Left Arrow" function) Why are you using FF and Pauses at all then?

If you want a 1-minute skip then just make a macro that executes the 30-sec skip twice (Left_Arrow; Left_Arrow). If you want a 5-minute skip then make a macro that calls upon that 30-sec skip 10 times.

Have you tried this yet?

(It is possible that the PVR cannot respond to multiple sends of the Left_Arrow command in rapid succession, in which case you MIGHT need to insert "Pauses" in between them, similar to what you have done with the alternating "FFwd" and "Pauses", but you haven't made it clear that this is the challenge you are trying to overcome.)

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your last post went up while I was typing my last response, so perhaps most of it does not apply, but I still don't see how that macro would EVER work, since you never send a "Play" command. It should Fast Forward indefinitely until you send another command.

Also, there is no reason a macro should not work on L4, so you've got something else going on. Feel free to upload your IR file again.

Also, why can't you simply use several "30-sec skip" ("Left_Arrow") commands?

Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:
When doing so, in column B, do not leave the default selection "(upgrade)". Select whatever device you want those pause phantom buttons associated with ("CBL"?) and import the modified keymoves.

Then those Pause keymoves will apear on the Special Functions tab, bound to the CBL device and you can use them in macros. "

This was where things fell apart. Protocol Help says leave the device selection "upgrade" . Apparently that is not correct. So I made that column CBL (to agree with the 1493 device where it will be used).
Actually, it really doesn't matter what device you bind the keymoves to. (upgrade) is fine, as well, but then one would have to spend an hour and half explaining that you assign the upgrade device to any old device in IR so it will import the keymoves, and then simply reassign that device in IR it back to whatever you really need and use the Pause functions that you've imported in macros, so I chose what seemed to me the simpler route.

As for Special Functions vs. Special Protocols, I apologize but - to quote you from several occasions in the past - "Come ON!"

Amazon Firestick
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FFwd key in the 1493 IS programmed as a 30 sec skip (efc 173), as opposed to the Fwd key, which is as you describe. So my use of FFwd is correct. I believe that you are correct in that left arrow may execute the same function, but I don't use it that way. I use this implementation to make remote operation identical to my ReplayTV.
Re your suggestion, after trying the pauses, I could not get a satisfactory implementation. My big issue was still the assignment of an appropriate macro key, which I temporarily solved by selectin of a totally unrelated key for this macro. 6 FFwd works better than any implementation with pauses, but after all of this, I think that for this machine 6 manual FFwd presses will be the best.
Thank you for all of your patience (sometimes a thing in short supply around here) with my bumbling through this.
I still have to clean it all up, and I hope that the KM Protocol help will be amended so the next guy doesn't have to go through this,
Thanks again, Elliot
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilligaf wrote:
Cbl 0476 efc 0049 is 30 second skip forward. Efc 0045 is 15 seconb back.

Mike

These also work with CBL1376, which BTW is what comes pre-programmed from the cable people.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
The FFwd key in the 1493 IS programmed as a 30 sec skip (efc 173), as opposed to the Fwd key, which is as you describe. So my use of FFwd is correct. I believe that you are correct in that left arrow may execute the same function, but I don't use it that way.
Actually no. The left arrow key is a completely different EFC. I just assumed it since it matched the EFC somebody else had suggested early on. It would have been extremely helpful if you had pointed out that FFwd was in fact the 30-sec skip function, so I would not have continued assuming that it was just a Fast Forward function and basing my advice on that misconception. More information is always good.
e.axel wrote:
I use this implementation to make remote operation identical to my ReplayTV.
Re your suggestion, after trying the pauses, I could not get a satisfactory implementation. My big issue was still the assignment of an appropriate macro key, which I temporarily solved by selectin of a totally unrelated key for this macro.
I still find this puzzling. I'd be interested in seeing your IR file, now that I understand what the FFwd button does.
e.axel wrote:
6 FFwd works better than any implementation with pauses, but after all of this, I think that for this machine 6 manual FFwd presses will be the best.
Thank you for all of your patience (sometimes a thing in short supply around here) with my bumbling through this.
I still have to clean it all up, and I hope that the KM Protocol help will be amended so the next guy doesn't have to go through this,
Thanks again, Elliot
There is nothing really wrong with the Help, as I explained in a post above. If it was REALLY bad, then there would be a whole lot of threads here about problems implementing the Pause protocol. I suggest their absense implies it ain't all that bad.

Amazon Firestick
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply. I saw something about that arrow function, but I will have to look it up again. I have a lot of cleanup to do here (both from this and the house painting!), so I guess I'll get back to this in a day or 2. I will post the final IR and let you know.
Thanks again.
BTW: I have relatives and friends in Edgware. Next time I come over, a friendly pint somewhere??
Elliot
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: