JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sky Digibox Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinmcc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Sky Digibox Remote Reply with quote

New to JP1 and experimenting with mY existing Sky Digibox remote control.
The interface works but says no response from remote.

Questions - the remote has pads for an eprom but there is non present. Does JP1 only allow access to eprom or is it possible to manipulate settings on processor also?

The sda and scl lines on the RC PCB have 10k pull up resistors - would these affect operation of the JP1 interface?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your remote has holes where the 6 pin JP1 header needs to be soldered in place, and it has pads where the 2k-byte (16k-bit) eeprom needs to be soldered in place.

Without both of these, you will be unable to use JP1. Some might argue that you could try to use pogo pin adapter instead of the 6 pin header, but if you are going to go to all the trouble of opening the case and soldering in an eeprom, you really might as well solder in the 6 pin header.

For general information on opening a remote without damaging the clamshell case, look here. This link applies to many remotes, however, I cannot guarantee it applies to the sky remote.

Experts - are there any jumper wires that he needs to solder in as well?

Good Luck,
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sky Digibox Remote Reply with quote

martinmcc wrote:
The interface works but says no response from remote.
Since this remote does not come with JP1 pins, what are you connecting your JP1 cable to?
martinmcc wrote:
Does JP1 only allow access to the eeprom, or is it possible to manipulate the settings on processor also?
just the eeprom.
martinmcc wrote:
The sda and scl lines on the RC PCB have 10k pull up resistors - would these affect operation of the JP1 interface?
I wish I could help you here, but I do not know. The experts probably do.

If you need www.mouser.com part numbers for the 6-pin header or the 2-byte eeprom, let us know, or just search this forum - they are available from the Robman also, and his prices are very good as well.

Also, if you do not want to do the upgrade yourself, there are kind people here at this forum who would do it for you for a nominal fee. (for example, I mailed my OFA6012 off to a very competant JP1 expert, and for practically nothing it had a JP1 header and a 2-byte eeprom soldered in and the thing was back in my hands in about a week, and the 6 pin header is in straighter and tighter than UEI does it on their 8810w.)

Happy New Year,
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, if a remote only has holes where the 6-pin should go, there's a very good chance that it also needs an EEPROM added, this you can tell without even opening up the remote.

If you have opened the remote and can see that the EEPROM is missing, then you absolutely need to add one before you can do any JP1 programming with this remote.

As for the suggestion that you could use the pogo-pin adapter rather than soldering in a 6-pin, this is only true when the 6 holes are of the "pass through" variety. If the holes have metal traces around them then they are probably pass through (like those in the RCU810) but if they are just holes and nothing more (like those in the URC-6012, URC-6131, URC-8011, etc) then the pogo-pin adapter is NOT an option.

If you need pins and an EEPROM, I can supply them.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you have opened the remote and can see that the EEPROM is missing, then you absolutely need to add one.

The sky remote is listed in the RemoteChart.xls as having holes and pads.

That might be a good line for a rockabilly song... "my woman left me, my dog bit me, and my remote came with only holes and pads.."

Or not. Mr. Green

(And they wonder how I got over three hundred posts considering I know next to nothing. Rolling Eyes )

Happy New Year!
-Steve
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on there Lipitor boy, what do you know about that there Rockabilly music, eh? Twisted Evil
silron1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found in the later version Sky Digibox Remotes the JP1 access appears to have been designed out. - The access point where the pins would go (and used to) are now covered with a piece of moulded plastic

Ron
martinmcc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did solder in the header and there is no EEPROM - a bit stupid now that I understand a bit more about JP1!!! Anyway are the EEPROMS pretty standard or is there a particular part I should be looking for?

Also can anybody tell me if I solder in the EEPROM will the processor automatically detect it?

Thanks for the replies
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are pads for the eeprom then the processor is designed to detect it, but also designed to remember that it wasn't there. Some sort of reset command is required to make it forget that the eeprom wasn't there. On most models that is the 981 reset.

The part numbers for the eeprom are mentioned in many threads here and the old Yahoo group. Normal vendors will charge you far more for shipping and handling for one eeprom than for the eeprom itself. I think Rob is still selling the eeproms and his shipping charge is reasonable.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some mouser part numbers.

The key is to get a "16K" eeprom, not a "2K" one. Although you want 2k bytes, they are sold by the bit, so when you find a 16k-bit eeprom, it is actually a 2k-byte eeprom, as there are 8 bits in a byte.

Having said all of that, save yourself some time and grief and buy it from the Robman who is faster, cheaper, and will send it to you right away.

Happy New Year,
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The generic part number for a 2k (bytes) EEPROM is 24C16. You should expect to pay anywhere from $0.60 to $2 for one before shipping. I have them available for $2 shipped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: