JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ReplayTV 5xxx remote re-programming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimholtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: ReplayTV 5xxx remote re-programming Reply with quote

Hi,

I started discussing this question here and was referred to this post. While that post was helpful, it doesn't really help me. What I'm trying to do is:

1. Stack two ReplayTV 5040s on top of each other.
  2. Control each with its own, unique remote. In other words, I don't need my remotes to be able to talk to multiple ReplayTVs. I just need each ReplayTV/remote combination to talk on different "IR channels" so they don't interfere with each other.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

edit: I realize I can use the instructions at http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6753803 to do what I describe, but I'd rather not do that because someone accidentally switch the remote into a mode that doesn't do anything (e.g., press "TV" then "2" or "3" or "4"). Then the remote would appear to "not work", and while I would know how to fix it, everyone else would think it's broken.
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can send you my IR file directly.
I have my old one that controls 2 5040 boxes and an RCA TV.
I have my new one that controls 2 5040 boxes and an Olevia TV.

Using it couldn't be simpler.
To select a Replay box, just press "Replay" then "1" or "Replay" then "2"
("Replay" button functions as a shift key. Uses Replay remote extender 1.2.)

PM me here or on the Replay forum with e-mail address.
I can even change the IR file to your particular TV, if you wish.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixt7gt350 wrote:
I can send you my IR file directly... PM me here or on the Replay forum with e-mail address.

An easier idea might be to load the file into the Diagnosis Area and then post a link to it.
grimholtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixt7gt350 wrote:
I can send you my IR file directly.
I have my old one that controls 2 5040 boxes and an RCA TV.
I have my new one that controls 2 5040 boxes and an Olevia TV.

Using it couldn't be simpler.
To select a Replay box, just press "Replay" then "1" or "Replay" then "2"
("Replay" button functions as a shift key. Uses Replay remote extender 1.2.)

PM me here or on the Replay forum with e-mail address.
I can even change the IR file to your particular TV, if you wish.

Thank you for the offer! Although this is still more complicated than I need, it will do the job. It's more complicated than I need because it allows me to control both ReplayTVs from one remote... I don't need to do that. I guess it's not a big deal unless someone switches the remote to the other ReplayTV without understanding what (s)he's done.

I PM'd you with my email address.

-grimholtz
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait, I guess I thought you were looking to control both units from one remote also, so all you really want to do is make each remote only control the one unit, that's easy.

Here's the file for unit 1:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4188

And here's the file for unit 2:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4189
grimholtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Rob. Do I really need to reprogram both remotes, though? Can't I leave one with the defaults and just change the other?
grimholtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the files now... did you simply code the code on the General tab for the RTV from 1614 to 1615/1616, or did you change other stuff, too? (I'm a total JP1 noob so am trying to learn a little).

Also, I know I need to tell the RTV about the new code.... IIRC I must turn off the RTV (just hit the power switch or do a cold-reboot?), then turn it on and press any key on the newly programmed remote while it's aimed at the unit I turned off.. is that accurate?
KenL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimholtz wrote:
...Do I really need to reprogram both remotes, though?

Yes because native unit address 0 is all units.

grimholtz wrote:
...It's more complicated than I need because it allows me to control both ReplayTVs from one remote... I don't need to do that. I guess it's not a big deal unless someone switches the remote to the other ReplayTV without understanding what (s)he's done.

I always had the problem of tracking which unit mode a 5K remote was in, and thus perhaps not seeing what it was doing to another unit. So now I only have one unit address per remote.

Four Replay 5000 units. Two on remote address 1, one on address 2 and another on 3. All controlled by one 5K OEM remote for address 1 and another for remote address 2.

I physically labeled OEM remote #2 to differentiate.

So Replay 1 is in one location and Replays 2,3,4 are in another. The two primary recorders (one in each location) are both on remote address 1, and are controlled by the primary 5K remote. To physically use Replay 3, I get out the second remote. It won't interfere with Replay 2 or 4 in that stack. And finally to get to Replay 4 (only really for housekeeping) I physically turn off Replay 2 and 3 and pull out the 4k (address 0 -- all addresses) remote. 4K remote for Replay 4. Very Happy

Eventually I will make (and label) a 5K remote #3 for Replay #4. But maybe not because I seldom physically access it. I could add it as additional device on another remote but I don't want to confuse myself.

The shifted devices in the extended 5K OEM remote work well for most everything except perhaps multiple (identical) devices with no substantial front panel feedback. (ReplayTVs) That is simply because you need to select the device often just to be sure which you are currently on. Especially when jumping back and forth.
KenL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimholtz wrote:
...IIRC I must turn off the RTV (just hit the power switch or do a cold-reboot?), then turn it on and press any key on the newly programmed remote while it's aimed at the unit I turned off.. is that accurate?

Nope old news... that was the 2xxx/3xxx Replays. Good guess though. Try it and see what happens?

The procedure for 4xxx/5xxx is rather simple. Official (if undocumented) feature now, and most likely in the Replay FAQs.
grimholtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenL wrote:
grimholtz wrote:
...IIRC I must turn off the RTV (just hit the power switch or do a cold-reboot?), then turn it on and press any key on the newly programmed remote while it's aimed at the unit I turned off.. is that accurate?

Nope old news... that was the 2xxx/3xxx Replays. Good guess though. Try it and see what happens?

The procedure for 4xxx/5xxx is rather simple. Official (if undocumented) feature now, and most likely in the Replay FAQs.

It seems most people try to control multiple RTVs with one or more remotes. That's not what I'm doing, so the instructions I've found aren't working. I'm referring to this and the SonicBlue instructions posted by Rob in this post.

So I've changed remote1 (of 2) using IR.exe and Rob's file for unit1. Then, on RTV1 (of 2) I used my remaining "normal" remote (remote #2) to do 243+Zones, set the Remote Lockout Code to 101, saved settings, and pressed 101+Zones on the remote1. Nada. RTV1 is still responding to remote2 but not remote1.

(p.s. how can I restore the remotes to their defaults if I ever need to? For example, if I reimage the RTV hard drives? I'm sure there's a "default" RTV IR file in the files section, right?)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimholtz wrote:
So I've changed remote1 (of 2) using IR.exe and Rob's file for unit1. Then, on RTV1 (of 2) I used my remaining "normal" remote (remote #2) to do 243+Zones, set the Remote Lockout Code to 101, saved settings, and pressed 101+Zones on the remote1. Nada. RTV1 is still responding to remote2 but not remote1.

You picked the wrong option, you should have read ahead to the description given for option 2...
Quote:
Option 2: Remote Machine Code - 3rd Party Universal Remote

If you have a Pronto, JP1 remote or other advanced (PC programmable remote), you can set the machine code that the ReplayTV 4000 responds to. The ReplayTV 4000 will always response to machine code 0 in addition to whatever code you specify on the Remote Lockout Screen.

To set the Remote Machine Code:

Press Menu on your remote
Choose Setup.
Press 243 + Replay Zones on your remote
Use to Up or Down arrow keys to select Remote Machine Code
Choose the Remote Machine Code # (1 thru 15) using the Left or Right arrow keys
Choose Save these settings
Restart

grimholtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
grimholtz wrote:

You picked the wrong option, you should have read ahead to the description given for option 2...
Quote:
Option 2: Remote Machine Code - 3rd Party Universal Remote

If you have a Pronto, JP1 remote or other advanced (PC programmable remote), you can set the machine code that the ReplayTV 4000 responds to. The ReplayTV 4000 will always response to machine code 0 in addition to whatever code you specify on the Remote Lockout Screen.

To set the Remote Machine Code:

Press Menu on your remote
Choose Setup.
Press 243 + Replay Zones on your remote
Use to Up or Down arrow keys to select Remote Machine Code
Choose the Remote Machine Code # (1 thru 15) using the Left or Right arrow keys
Choose Save these settings
Restart

I did read the entire thread. However, when I saw "3rd Party Universal Remote", I just skipped that. Now I see it applies to JP1 remotes, including, apparently RTV's own remote (definitely not a 3rd-party remote in this case Smile)

It works. Thanks!
KenL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimholtz wrote:
(p.s. how can I restore the remotes to their defaults if I ever need to? For example, if I reimage the RTV hard drives? I'm sure there's a "default" RTV IR file in the files section, right?)

There is, but no reason not to back up a copy of remote2 (using IR.exe) before you start tinkering with it.

I like having a native (remote machine code 0) remote available to set the codes, or when you can't find the correct remote, or you can't figure out why a Replay is not responding to the remote.

But in your case if you only have 2 remotes (and want a single unique remote address on each) perhaps you could extend device machine code 0 on some unlikely shifted button on one of the remotes, where only you can find it?

Intentional or otherwise. Wink

Last edited by KenL on Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
grimholtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, good ideas. Thanks. I'm thinking of buying another RTV 5xxx remote. Does this seem like a reasonable price?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110085431113

$30 including shipping. Sounds a little high to me. Thoughts?

edit: emailing mikeyboy to see if he has better deals. $30 seems way too high to me for a remote for a device no longer manufactured.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've seen the R5k remote sell for over $50 on occassion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: