JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-10820 Interface Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfiesm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: URC-10820 Interface Problem Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and new to JP1, so hopefully I'm not doing something really stupid. I have two URC-10820 remotes and I've been working on programming them. All was going pretty well until tonight. I was going through a bunch of ERC's trying to find the ones for my RCA tv to give direct access to inputs. They are by the way: (if anyone is interested)

Input 0 = 87
Input 1 = 95
Input 2 = 71
Input 3 = 79
Input 5 = 94

Anyway, at the end of this, I started getting "Failed to open JP1.2 interface." every time I try to Check Interface or Upload to Remote. I was getting this once in a while, but now I get it all the time. I'm using a homemade Tommy Tyler's interface.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3585

The interface still works with my other 10820 remote, so I don't think it's the interface. It acts like something is wrong with the remote. Could I have burned something out? Do I need to remove batteries when plugging in the cable? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid to use this on my other remote now for fear of breaking it also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marty
pfiesm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more info:

Power LED blinks a few times while the check interface is going on.

I tried a 981 reset and nothing changed.

I've even gone so far as to reboot the PC and still get the error.

Thanks,

Marty
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is possible to "burn out" the remote as far as communicating with the interface is concerned. I have six 10820s, one 8820, and one 6820. The 8820 used to communicate with the interface, but now it fails. The other remotes communicate perfectly. The 8820 still functions on every other level. I don't know if there is anything you can do to fix it.
pfiesm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I suspected as much. Do you know if I can still call OFA for an upgrade? I'm not sure how that works over the phone. Do they have you punch in a bunch of numbers, or does this remote work with tones.
jetskier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfiesm wrote:
Do you know if I can still call OFA for an upgrade? I'm not sure how that works over the phone. Do they have you punch in a bunch of numbers, or does this remote work with tones.

I've always used the JP1 interface for upgrades. I've never sent them in. If you have to cover shipping to send it back, it may not be worth it since the remotes are about $14.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to pay for the postage to send the remote to them, they will pay for the return postage. If you send the remote by Priority, it will cost $4.10, if you send it by 1st Class mail, it will probably only cost $1 or $2.
jetskier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may not be a bad deal then to send it in for an upgrade and get a new one back.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd go for it. Worst case, they return your remote saying that it doesn't work and you're out $2.
pfiesm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
pfiesm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I thought this might happen. I sent in the remote and UEI was able to upgrade it. But, I still can't communicate with the remote using the same interface that works with my other remote. So I think this is telling us that it is possible to communicate with this remote using the right interface and software, because UEI did it.

I guess this could mean that I did a bad job building my interface, or it could mean that there is a better interface that could be made, or maybe the software driver is not correct, but it is possible to communicate with this remote.

Marty
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of interface(JP1.x or JP1.2) did you build? Some users have reported issues with a JP1.x design on a JP1.2 remote which were fixed by removing the Q1/D1/R1 components. These components go to the BKGD pin on a JP1.2 remote which can cause it to not "respond".

Have you tried swapping/replacing the batteries? Voltage on pin 1 of the remote should be +3v.
pfiesm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a couple sets of batteries. Voltage is currenly reading 3.3 volts on pin 1 of both of my 10820 remotes.

The interface is a JP1.x, but I have tried leaving pin 5 hang loose with no luck. Not sure though if that's enough to force it to JP1.2? I don't think I ever tried it that way on the working remote. The interface did work for a while on this remote, then it quit. When it was working, it was only every 2nd or 3rd try.

Marty
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the tester program here?
Also, there are two ways to read/write to the remote so if you have a broken trace or cold solder joint on one pin, UEI could use the other pin. Maybe you can try to reheat the solder joints around the 6-pin header on the remote.
pfiesm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there instructions for running the tester? Here's what I get:

C:\>tester

tester version 0.01
jp12io.dll version 0.01
Parsing command list file tester.dat
Error opening tester.dat

I copied the JP12serial.dll into the directory with the tester, and then just ran it. Looks like I need a tester.dat file?

Also, if UEI can use a different pin, can I also? Can I just rearrange the pinout on my connector? I would prefer that over opening the case and resoldering.

Thanks!

Marty
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tester doesn't use jp12serial.dll. The thread that mentions tester and tester1 is here. There is also tester here.

You can't rearrange the pins for use with IR.exe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: