JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to use discrete power codes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Best way to use discrete power codes? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've made some progress on my remote programming (RS 15-2217 with Extender 3).

Next step is to create a macro for the DVD player that turns the power to the TV and the DVD player on together.

So what's the ideal scenario? Do you tie power-on/off to the DVD button? Or continue to use a separate Power button? Do you turn the two units on/off together? Do you use discrete codes for power on/off, and if so, do you require two power buttons (one for on, one for off)?

Thanks for any insight!

Cordially,

Eric
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I do on my 2117. All my shifted device buttons handle discrete power on and source switching, and shifted "My System" is my master discrete power off for everything. Consistent, easy to remember, doesn't matter what's already on or off, and the last device selected in the macro is the one you want to control.

For example:
Shift-DVD is TV;discreteOn;(select DVD input on TV);DVD;discreteOn
Shift-MySystem is DVD;discreteOff;TV;discreteOff;Audio;discreteOff... etc.

If I used the extender like you, I'd make it even simpler and use a long key press instead of shift.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rarely a "one size fits all" sort of thing as the perfect solution is largely a matter of personal preference. Many people like to program macros to the device buttons that turn things on and select inputs, although I'm not personally a fan of this method. My personal preference is to use shifted device buttons.

On my remote, pressing a shifted device button will turn on all the devices necessary to watch the selected device, and it will select the correct inputs. For example, I have my ReplayTV programmed on the CBL button, so when I press shift/CBL, the remote will power on the ReplayTV, the TV, the stereo and the video selector. It will also select the right inputs on the video selector, stereo and TV. And finally, it will leave the remote in CBL mode ready for me to control the Replay.

Shift/POWER on my remote will power the system down, regardless of what device you were watching.

I don't have macros that switch between device modes (eg, like going from Replay mode to DVD mode) as I rarely switch between modes, but I do often switch between Replays, so I have macros programmed to the 2S and 3S buttons on my 15-1994 that will switch between the Replays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: