JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Frustrated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
es114

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so now here's the next problem. The 1994 will not learn vcr2 from the marantz remote. It is an rc5 code, It has learned fm, cd, ld and vol +/-, power. Need this for my macro.

Thanks,

Eric
es114

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loaded it to diagnostics under 1.txt by es114
es114

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New post on diagnostics under 2.txt. The 1994 decided to take vcr1 and 2 but the IR program indicates there are problems so I posted them.

Thanks,

Eric
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
New post on diagnostics under 2.txt. The 1994 decided to take vcr1 and 2 but the IR program indicates there are problems so I posted them.

IR is indicating that you haven't done the best learn that you could have done, the implication being that the signal might not repeat properly and/or you might be using up more memory than is needed.

However, keep in the mind the purpose of this exercise. You are only using learning as a tool to determine the device codes and OBCs for the buttons in question so you can program them using an upgrade or keymoves. You should have no intention of keeping the learned signals around, so as long as the learn is good enough for IR to determine the relevant codes (which is the case here) there is no problem.
es114

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several tries I did get the codes for VCR1 and 2. I will attempt an upgrade although I fear it may be beyond me as I have really only used mapped programs from the JP1 group so far.

Regards,

Eric
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you've shown so far, you seem to have a lot of commands using device 16, a few using device 17, and you have command 63 using each of a bunch of different device numbers.

You have enough different devices that the "RC-5/5x Combo" protocol is probably simplest, though it will make a very big upgrade. You should try that way first and if the upgrade is too big one of the experts will tell you how to do it some better way (we might want to invent a better way).

Select that protocol, on KM's setup tab, make up a setup code number, select "OBC" for "Button Codes". Leave the dev1 to dev4 values blank (at least until someone suggests some RC5x possible dscrete codes to try).

On the functions tab, put the decoded OBC in the OBC column and the decoded device number in the byte2 column. For any commands you never learned that work from that built_in setup code you can get the OBC and device number (probably 16) from the devices4 spreadsheet.

Since many of your function names don't fit KM's default function names, overtype the names in Column A (of the functions sheet) with names that better fit the actual functions.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd probably suggest a different approach. I suspect that this device is set up much like an RCA device, where all the main commands come from a single device code and there are several "input select" codes that come from different device codes (and use the same OBC).

My preferred method of setting up input select commands is to keymove them onto buttons in the relevant modes. For example, you would keymove the "CD input select" onto a button in CD mode, etc.

If you're going to be using keymoves for these commands anyway, there's not much point in including them in the main upgrade, which makes the main upgrade alot smaller.

So Eric, what I'm suggesting is that you create an upgrade that combines all the commands from device codes 16 and 17. Then create keymoves for the input selects from all the other device codes. If there's a built in setup code with the right device code, use it, if not, create mini-upgrades (with no buttons programmed) for the sole purpose of programming key moes from them.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob has a very good point, that I think should be stated more explicitly for someone less used to these remotes.

For example, you have a discrete input select command that tells the Marantz to get its input from your VCR. That is a command to the Marantz device, so at first glance it seems logical to make it a command in the 15-1994's AUX1 mode (assuming you will use the AUX1 device key to control the Marantz).

But, if you think about it, you may decide that the command to tell the Marantz to get its input from the VCR would be more convenient if it could be issued when the 15-1994 is in VCR mode rather than when it is in AUX1 mode.

As Rob said, that means this command would be a KeyMove (rather than part of the upgrade for AUX1) anyway, so you might as well build the smaller simpler RC-5 upgrade for AUX1 without all those command 63's. Then add the command 63's as KeyMoves, mainly in other device modes.
es114

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only keys I really could move are CD and VCR2 (DVD feed into the Marantz). FM and LD (used for SAT feed into the Marantz) wouldn't seem to make sense. So I think I'll just stay with the learned commands on AUX1 and program macros. Unless there is a mapped version of the Marantz SR-92 with its set of complicated codes (to me) maybe I should stay put?

I can upload files if anyone wishes to see.

Thanks,

Eric
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Why don't you upload your file to the diagnosis area and I'll take a look.
es114

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

The file is uploaded: 4e.txt from es114.

Thanks,

Eric
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Do you have a Sony TV? What are the audio inputs for the various devices. It looks like the DVD (on the VCR device button) uses Video1 on the TV and Aux1:5 for the audio input.

Give me the rest of them please. I am going to add the discrete power commands for the TV, DVD and receiver and I'll set up basic macro's. I think it will be easier if you see how I did it that to explain first. I have already eliminated the learned commands but those functions are back on the same buttons with key moves. So it saves a lot of learned memory and you can use an extender in the future.
es114

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
for
A sony TV (0000). Your output statements are right. Also use LD Aux 1:2 for Sat audio when we want to use it, Aux1:3 for CD audio, Aux 1:4 for the real VCR audio when selected.

Thanks,

Eric
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the SonyTV video inputs? What are the DirecTiVo and real VCR connected to on the Sony?
es114

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, the real VCR is on video 3 of the sony and the Sony directTivo unit is connected by S video.

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: