JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6131ext 7 Dish questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: 6131ext 7 Dish questions Reply with quote

I've been reading here, then guessing and still trying to understand. Can someone fill the holes, please?

Am I correct in these translations from IR's learned signals sheet to KM:
1. KM unit on [Setup] = IR learned subdevice + 1 --> first fixed byte
2. KM devices on [Setup] = what might go into byte2, defaults are 0-3 --> remaining 4 fixed bytes
3. KM (normally subdevice) byte2 on [Functions] = IR learned device, what is it? not obvious to me in hex.

4. Is DishCombo really the same as Dish_Network protocol? In 6131ext they look the same 0002.
5. If yes, is it because just the fixed bytes change and get tacked onto the 6 bit OBC at the end?
6. What's the purpose of the 4 device slots on the Setup sheet in KM?
7. If you need to talk to two or more Dish boxes, do you have to build 2 nearly identical (except for fixed bytes) upgrades and put them on different device keys sharing the combo protocol, or is there a way to have one upgrade and somehow control the boxes some other way?

Edit, one more: 8. How come learning the INFO button decodes as JVC-A and IR returns device 255, subdevice blank, OBC 255 ?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz

I think the combo was done a while back when I first found that the Dish 721 used two subdevices for some keys when I was working with a RCU810. (this and the 921 were the only ones that did that as far as I know) I've since found that the built-in protocol 002 and device in the 6960 control the 721 perfectly well. (except they put some buttons in the wrong place!)

Anyway, one of the things I found when doing the corrected RDF for the 6960 is that there are more than one protocol 002, and the RDF needs to be told which variant is in the remote. I don't remember which one is in the 6131, but you can see it in the protocols section of the RDF

As for the info button, that's just a bad learn. All Dish receivers as far as I know use the same code set. (which one do you have?) I've verified that the 301 and 5xx use the same set (with the obvious missing things for the 301/322. The 721 and 921 are a bit different. I have a 625 but have never subbed it for various reasons and haven't had the time to play with it. [I really want to figure out how to operate TV2 with a JP1 remote]

-bill
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dish $0002 protocol has undergone more changes by UEI than any other protocol that I know of, hence the multiple listings in RM and KM.

If I remember correctly, the format is 5-5-6 for the device, unit and command codes. The original exec (found in the URC-7800, 15-1994, etc) treated this as 8-8, so the unit code was split between the fixed and variable data. This let me support a limited range of unit codes via a KM upgrade.

The next UEI version was 5-5-6, so each upgrade could only support one unit code.

Then Dish started using a mixture of device codes for a single device, so UEI converted the exec into a "combo" using the 2 spare OBC bits to select which of the 4 device codes to use with each button.

In KM/RM, if you specify the combo protocol and you're using a recent remote, the upgrade will use the built in $0002 exec, but if you're using an older remote, it will supply a protocol upgrade.

Oh yeah, when you get a bad decode with these signals, they usually show up as JVC because the signals are very similar.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I've skimmed in two amazing major threads the history of Dish. Didn't understand it all, but I gather it's a difficult one. I believe this is for Dish721 (not mine). Thanks for the tip about RDF protocols list. It's 0002:5 in 6131. I checked and compared KM 0002 to 0002:5 in RM numbered 01E2. Completely identical protocols. And both identical to Dish Network 0002 for the 6131ext.

Curiously, using 01E2, RM translates OBC numbers which go with device 1 on the Functions tab ([Setup] byte2/dev# in KM) differently than KM.

So this will be my 9th question: given, for instance, device 1 (byte2 thing) OBCs 3 or 61, KM matches IR decodeIR with hex 0C and F4, and RM gives me 0D and F5. I'm now really confused.

Rob, I don't know whether to classify 6131 as old or new. I suppose new since it's not giving me the protocol. And what makes the Dish and JVC signal similar Surprised Question

Edit: both KM and RM give the same result, not matching learned signals

Last edited by ElizabethD on Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz

Rob will probably chime in, he (and I think John) did the combo protocol when I first discovered that the Dish 721 used two devices (go look at the upgrade in the files area)

I've also seen the differences in the OBC's for the devices that have id1, for example the built-in code in the 6960 sends those keys similar as you have discovered (what I thought was the OBC plus 1)

I've never bothered to figure it out, other things to do these days you know. The built-in code in my 6960 works pretty well with my 721 except that I had to move a few keys around to make it the way I wanted it (and to get in the discrete on/off codes) Some day I'm going to learn how the protocol formats up the device, sub-device, and OBC so that I can figure out if I can make a JP! IR remote work on the 625 TV2. [in my free time!]
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. I've had feedback. It appears that KM is not calculating hex correctly when 1 is in byte2. I was using OBC numbers in both KM and RM. Had I used EFC in KM it might have worked... but there's then no place to put that 1 for byte 2. Minicombiners are too rough to understand Sad
Edit: actually both RM and KM don't return expected number when byte2 is 1. Tweaking hex in IR to what it should be does the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: