JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JVC service manual, OEM remote for sale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex750

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: JVC service manual, OEM remote for sale Reply with quote

My trusty old JVC AV-2080S bit the dust over Christmas. The vertical output chip burned out, and the replacement part--the ECG/NTE 7056 (replaces NEC µPC1488H)--is no longer available, not even NOS. The set is now in the city's Electronics Recycle Center, presumably awaiting shredding and meltdown.

Oh well, I wanted a new HDTV anyway. Confused So now I have the following for sale:

JVC "Mastercommand" remote (RM-C424). This will work on pretty much any 13" or larger AV series JVC TV made in the early 90s, though it may lack a few of the functions of the big sets (e.g., PIP). The upgrade file (KM) for this remote is here.

JVC service manual for the AV-2080S (FXIII chassis). I originally obtained this while looking for service mode EFCs; it turns out this TV didn't have them. Inside are a reduced copy of the owners manual, disassembly and general safety instructions, specific service procedures, schematics and parts lists. This is an official JVC manual--NOT a Sams Photofacts or other aftermarket publication! Safety Disclaimer: This book is not a substitute for general experience with TV servicing procedures--if you're not comfortable poking around inside a TV, don't bother.

JVC instruction book (owners manual) for the AV-2075S/2080S. I'll include this as a "gimme" with either of the above.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't have a particular need for older JVC manuals and I have all of their electronic manuals due to a large local servicer going out of business. (I am a small local servicer - Peoria Il)

I know you don't want to here this but the original IC is still readily available.
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=UPC1488
For future reference, the original type numbers are always a better match than the generic subs.

On the other hand, there were probably a number of failing capacitors and if you didn't find all of them, the new chip would probably have failed soon: but a $10 gamble is usualy worth trying. It definitely would not have been worth having a shop attempt a repair on a 15 (?) year old 20" TV. 32 or 35, maybe.
alex750

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: urggghhhh.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...how come you were able to find this part at MCM, and I wasn't? I searched for both "UPC1488H" and "NTE 7056" there, and at Mouser, and came up with nothing.

Quote:
On the other hand, there were probably a number of failing capacitors and if you didn't find all of them, the new chip would probably have failed soon: but a $10 gamble is usually worth trying. It definitely would not have been worth having a shop attempt a repair on a 15 (?) year old 20" TV. 32 or 35, maybe.

The set had just turned 16 (it bore a manufacture date of November 1990). I don't know about the caps (looking at the schematic, I'll assume you mean C421-428; some of these are SMDs and would have been very difficult, if not impossible, for me to replace); before the picture failed completely, the raster would collapse to a horizontal line after a few hours--near the end, after less than two hours.

I did check the service switch (S201), and zapped it with contact cleaner. As far as I know that switch had never been used since it left the factory. I also checked for an open/short on the vertical deflection coil; it was OK.

Although the picture was still in very good shape--when fed by my DTV tuner, you could still tell the difference between an SD and HD broadcast--the reds were starting to smear a bit when the color and/or brightness were cranked up to THX-spec levels, which (I had always been told) was a sign the picture tube was getting old.

Years ago, I had rescued an old 19" GE set (mechanical tuning!) from the dumpster, with the same problem. In that case, I had fixed it with three transistors and a diode for $2.67 or some such figure. That's the same set that bit me later when, as I was reinstalling the rear cover, I was foolish enough to use my right forearm as a CRT discharge tool. Surprised Such were the "good old days".
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCM's search engine is not as flexible as it used to be but often leaving ending letters off of a type number helps, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes removing all spaces helps (generally helps). There are other parts suppliers, too. Tritronics has one of the best manufacturer's databases around. Parts Distributors that do manufacturer's OEM parts don't tend to show up on internet searches. (Joseph Electronics, Fox International, Tri-State, Fulton, City Refrigeration, are a few... and Digi-Key is a wholesale supplier like Mouser)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: