JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

COMPUTER vs .IR file. I lost IR file association, HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: COMPUTER vs .IR file. I lost IR file association, HELP! Reply with quote

The File types list in explorer indicates it just wants to associate IR file with IE and refuses to change. I guess IE7 which I installed even though I told it to not install. My mistake.

Details: On a normal .IR file when I now double click, it goes "Connecting to ...", "do you want to open or run the file" and all the warnings of nonsense. I lost the association and tried recreating it the usual way - right click the file, open with, go through all the steps, and it goes "connecting" to, of all the places, "My Documents...". I tried again through the Explorer File properties, file types - nothing works. I didn't loose all file associations, Word, Excel, Notepad, RMDU files work fine. Just IR. What else can I do to fix it?
Did I mention I HATE COMPUTERS ?! Evil or Very Mad
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Explorer, Tools menu, Folder Options..., File Types tab. Find the .IR entry in the list and click the Change button.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I did that Crying or Very sad
I wrote 'properties' above, but it was the exact place you said.

Edit: see screen shots, perhaps some clues are there
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4016
whompus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run regedit and locate this.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Applications/ir.exe/shell/open/command

Set the key value to where you have ir on the computer.

Right click the key in right side and select modify. Change the value to where ir is now. Then reboot system. After reboot locate an ir file, right click it. There will be an app now to select open with called remote control programmer, Select it and select the box to always use this app for this type file.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution lies in the old DOS commands: Run cmd and type at the prompt two commands:
Code:
> assoc .ir=RemoteProgrammer
> ftype RemoteProgrammer=IR.exe
The descriptive name can be anything so long as it's the same on both lines.
Then it appears in "Open With" dialog as well as in the list of registered(??) file types.
First time around click Choose Program, and select “Always use…”

Why did I have to go through all this digging through old books and cmd lists? That never happened before (WindowsXP-sp2).
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
Run regedit ...
Looks like we were typing at the same time. Thank you. Now, was this always an entry or is it your cool patch? (This is getting off-topic...)
whompus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gets put there at first run of ir. I think when you remove ir and don't remove that key value. When you install somewhere else or move the app windows attempts to protect you by not allowing class paths to be overwritten.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR did move. So I guess that explains it. I can't move it back, 'cause I no longer have the directory where it was.
I still can't make it work, and don't know how to revert to what I think worked.
What data must I have in the registry?
When I click on an .IR file, IR runs, but doesn't open the file at all. It does the rmember the last RDF location, at least I think it does. And KM and RM have no problem seeing IR.

At this point I'd just would like to cleanup and start over - but how do I guarantee a good cleanup? There's neither installer nor uninstaller (never needed those till I screwed up now). I'm not that handy with Windows, so step-by-step please.
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clean it up completely would be an awful lot of values to remove and I wouldn't recommend it if your not comfortable inside the registry. I also am not good enough with explaining what I do to do a step by step for you.

Your best bet would be remove all instances of ir from the computer. Then run a reg cleaner app like ccleaner which is here http://www.ccleaner.com/download/ for download. It will allow you to backup the registry before any changes are made. If you run that one, go to the issues button then at the bottom click on scan for issues. It should find issues pointing to ir that is no longer on the system. Then you click on fix issues or whatever it calls it now. Should then ask if you want to backup the registry before any changes are made. You might want to backup just in case. Then it should remove any instances calling for ir that is no longer there.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's a thought. Now that you mention CCleaner, I use it so I'll look in the backups they did a while back ... if it's still around.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whompus - your idea of destroy and fix worked great Very Happy Very Happy
I only had one IR.exe. I deleted the driver, IR, and decodeIR (what's in the zip file). Ccleaner recognized the mess. I then unzipped and ran IR and it's all working.

Time to play and celebrate!
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. Have a Happy Hangover's Eve.

Happy New Year
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: