JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Connector JP1.2 to big for URC-7780?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkellch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Connector JP1.2 to big for URC-7780? Reply with quote

Hi

I just bought a JP1.2 Serial Cable from DIY Gadget to programm my URC-7780. But as I can see the connector is to big for the whole with the 6 pins.

Do I have the wrong cable
Do I have to open the URC-7780 (is this a good idea)
Or is it not possible to program my URC-7780?

Thanks for an answer
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you take a photo of the URC-7780 and it's opening and post it for us. I'm guessing that none of the USA based experts have seen the URC-7780.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I understand correctly, the 7780 has 6 pins in it layed out so they would fit the 6 holes in the JP1 connector?

If it is the same as mine, the 6-hole connector on your JP1.2 cable is held together by plasitic latches on each end that make it slightly wider than a 10-hole connector would be if that 10-hole connector needed nothing extra to hold it together.

The only JP1.2 remote I've seen is the 8820, which has plenty of room on either side.

If the case of the 7780 has too tight an opening, it should be possible to shave off the edges of the connector with a file or a razor tool to make it a bit narrower. If you shaved off so much that the plastic latch fails, it should be possible to fix that with glue.
dkellch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the photos of URC-7780

the connector is much bigger then the whole with the pins

feelfree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a self-built JP1.2-Cable with my 7780. For the connector to the remote, I used 2pieces of 3-pin connectors which are used e.g. in computer cases to connect power-buttons, reset-pins etc. with the motherboard. These connectors fit fine...
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with a cable from DIY Gadget.
I simply used the small blade of my swiss arkmy knife to shave some plastic off the edges of the connector, until it would enter the hole deep enough to make contact and remain seated there.
Ugly, but functional.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to get a connection without cutting the supplied connector would be to take a couple of case connectors (like feelfree @#$&&%#%&&(*&^^ -- I assume he knows of the practice of embedding random things in old games, keyed by the entry of "feelfree" or "feel free"); popping the pins out, soldering short pieces of wire on them, putting them back together, and plugging it into the IDC connector. You might get by with just stripping the insulation off the existing wire, "tinning" with solder and pushing into the supplied JP1.2 connector (if you can keep from melting the plastic - I can do it but I've been soldering for over 45 years). Leftover audio cables from CD/DVD ROM drive kits could be modified also.
Tim Morley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get hold of a Samtec ESQ-103-24-G-D which plugs onto the header in the remote OK. The larger connector on the cable then plugs onto the top of the ESQ-103-24-G-D
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: