JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-2116 vs. OFA 8810w vs. RCA RCU810 My Head Hurts!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: RS 15-2116 vs. OFA 8810w vs. RCA RCU810 My Head Hurts! Reply with quote

I've been comparing and contrasting these models to decide which to use, and my head is starting to hurt. I get the impression that they are all built on the same basic platform with slight differences (key arrangement, macro, and learning keys, LCD.) It just doesn't quite seem that one model is clearly superior to the others to me, but I haven't yet delved in to using the JP1 interface (but intend to, I'm building the connector now.) Has anyone been through this before me and can offer their thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two of those are LCD models (810 and 2116). The RCA 810 has a lot of really dumb restrictions. the 2116 is a learner, but fewer keys. the 8810 has more keys, is cheaper, and can use a kick-ass extender. I'd opt for the 8810 at less than 20.00. If it wasn't for JP-1 the 810 would be pretty close to being a POS. The other two are way better out of the box.

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone here has their own personal favorites. For example, Rob likes the 15-1994, Jim likes the Millenium (I believe). Asking which remote is best, at least in this forum, is like asking which religion is best. Smile

I agree with Jim. But the wal-mart is frequently out of stock of the 8810w, at least around my neck of the woods. I have started collecting one of every JP1able remote that I can, just to see what they are like. At first I liked the LCD screen ones, such as the 15-2117 and the URC8910. The LCD screen was useful at first so that, for example, when I was in CBL mode and had VPT active, and I pressed Vol+ the screen would change to TV then back to CBL. I could see what was going on when things were not working and it made it easier to fix them. Also I wanted a remote that had a "yes" in every column of the RemoteChart.

After a while, I started to regret having such a large remote. After holding it for long periods, it seemed to weigh as much as a brick, and I frequently needed to hold it with one hand and press the buttons at the very top or bottom of the remote with the other hand because it was so large.

My current feeling is that the perfect remote for everyday use should be small and lightweight. Small is good. Small means that your fingers can reach 90% of the keys without shifting the remote up or down in your hand or using your other hand to press the buttons. The perfect remote for me does not need an LCD screen (extra weight, size), learning, nor modem upgradability. With respect to learning, it is nice to keep a learning remote (like the 8810w) in a drawer for learning. When buying a new piece of equipment, one can learn the codes from the OEM remote and create and upgrade. For everyday use, you won't need learning, which is why most extenders kill the learning function and use the eeprom learning memory for better things. With regard to modem upgradability, JP1 is much better than any modem upgrade OFA could provide. Smile

So I have found in my own personal experience that the 6012m and the 6131m are the ones I like for everyday use. The 6012s have the look and feel of the 8810s, except they are smaller, lighter, control 6 devices (8810s control 8), and don't have learning. The 6012s also have a nice green backlight. The 6131s are similar to the 6012s except they have no backlight but 17 more keys. These extra keys have labels that are useful for PVRs and DVD players. So for setups involving TV, VCR, and a CBL box I would recommend the 6012 or the 6131. For those with TV, VCR, PVR, DVD I favor the 6131.

The 6012s and the 8810ws are available at wal-mart. Buying a 6012 and a 8810 from them might be a good idea. Be aware that the 6012 does not come with a 6 pin header or an eeprom - you will need to add these items yourself (or commission a friend to do it) - there are instructions in the JP1-yahoo files. The 6131 is available from "the Robman" already modified (see the market section of this site).
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all cheap, so just buy one of each! Smile
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, My biggest actual "user' is a 1994. I do use a Mill4 in the bedroom because we have just three devices to control. There are some features about the Mill4 that does offer a few advantages over my 6800, 1994, and 2104. I'm not a remote "clutcher" so size and weight aren't a problem, probably 98% of the time in use, the remote is either on the headboard or coffee table. My wife likes the Mill4 in the bedroom because I've set it up with JP-1 to be easy for her to use (ie all devices have custom upgrades eliminating keys/functions we don't use). All are toggle devices so just 2 macros are neccessary (one for TV and vcr, the other for TV,vcr, and dvd). The 1994 is set up for some 13 devices and a much more complicated setup which she never uses, but probably would once convinced it's not "my stuff".

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: