JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Protocol Help for Slingbox/LG LST-3510A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grampa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Protocol Help for Slingbox/LG LST-3510A Reply with quote

I'm trying to create a .bin file for my LG LST-3510A (combo DVD/HDTV) to use with my Slingbox. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I'm trying to use one of the LG upgrades found in http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=14. I followed the steps listed in the sticky above, and created various .bin files, but I'm not sure which of the many protocols to use. I tried several, and although the Slingbox recognizes them, the buttons do not work as expected. Some buttons have no effect, while others trigger unexpected functions.

I don't know whether it's relevant, but my Slingbox uses IR Blaster Version 2 (not 2.1), and yet only the .bin files created for the UEI PL chip (not the JU chip) appear to load properly. I get an error message when trying to load a JU bin file, but not when loading the PL bin file. The PL file loads, but just doesn't control my device properly.

Finally, I'd appreciate any advice about which of the upgrades is likely to work best. The rmdu file looks most promising: it's fairly recent, and it was submitted by gfb107.

Thanks.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a quick look at the upgrades in the file section and I think you will have a problem creating a single bin to control both aspects of the LG TV/DVD since it uses two different protocols. Basically the OEM remote is two remotes, a DVD remote and a TV remote. The combo protocols generally won't work in a Slingbox (gfb107's upgrade is a combo protocol) but will in a JP1 remote.

You may have to create two bins: one for the DVD and one for the TV: and swap them out as needed due to the limitations of the Sling remote control circuitry.

You may also have to create bin files using a limited number of letters. In other words, you might have to make your upgrade a "SAT" device even if it is a TV, just to get a starting letter that the Sling will accept. (I don't think I could have loaded my AM2010 receiver code -- it is now S2010)

After you export a bin file, load it back into RM (import binary upgrade) and check to see if it looks the same as it was before you exported it (looking for functions that didn't make it into the upgrade).
Grampa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve. The Slingplayer already contains a couple of codes that work pretty well for the TV portion of the LG.

There is also an upgrade in the file section that says it's for the DVD portion ( http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2911 ), but I couldn't get it to work. The notes on many of the DVD functions say "Not for the 3510A." So perhaps I should focus on building just the DVD portion. I would also need to learn the code that switches the LG between the two.

I'm still not sure I understand how to choose the right protocol when saving it in .bin.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "protocols" are the settings on the first tab of RM. Things like NEC1, device and subdevice. You won't want to change those. The "setup code" can be changed to avoid conflicts with builtin codes (the number used but below 2048). "Protocol" has a specific meaning within JP1 and is not a general term for settings.

The settings you can change are button assignments on layout and buttons tabs. The "Functions" tab is used to add new commands which you probably won't do unless you have a learning JP1 remote or find an additional command on another upgrade you want to add to yours (the protocols would have to match -- protocol, device, subdevice).

You can (and will) change the remote type to JU and/or PL and you can change the device type to get a different starting letter (ie SAT, DVD, CBL, etc).
Grampa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying that the big drop-down list of protocols should already be set to the correct one when I open an upgrade from the file section?

I actually do have a learning JP1 remote, and even a JP1 cable, which I got a couple of years ago. I learned how to build and use upgrades -- I think it was an Excel-based program then -- but I've forgotten most of what I knew (I really am a grampa :>)). I was trying to avoid going through all that again.

It would be quite a hassle to reconfigure the Slingbox AV setup every time I want to watch a DVD. If I'm willing to start from scratch, would it be possible to create a single remote that will switch between TV and DVD on the LG and control the DVD portion? Could that same remote select the appropriate input on my AV receiver?

I was thinking I could give up a functions I don't use in order to put everything I need on the basic Slingbox remote. I don't really need the TV portion of the LG on my Slingbox because I have a Comcast cable box on another input. What I do need are controls that will let me select the correct input on my AV receiver -- mine is not supported by Slingbox. I have an IR system that allows any receiver to feed all of my equipment. I would need to reposition the Slingbox IR emitter in front of one of those, but that should not be a problem. Do you see any reason why I could not create a single Slingbox remote, connected to the composite input of the Slingbox, for example, that would allow me to switch my AV receiver input to the LG, switch the LG to DVD, and then control the DVD?

Thank you for all your help.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you load an upgrade it will have the correct protocol (NEC1, RC5, etc) . The protocol defines what device the remote controls. The protocol is an integral part of an upgrade.

The problem with the Slingbox is that it has a limited ability to load upgrades. Too big or too complicated and they just won't fit. An upgrade has just one protocol. Combining more protocols into a single upgrade takes special measures which can work in a JP1 remote but not in the Slingbox. At least no one has managed it yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: