JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sampo PME42S6 plasma TV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lnoland1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Sampo PME42S6 plasma TV Reply with quote

This topic has been split off from this original topic:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7474

My 8811 was dying so I recently purchased a new 9910 and began moving my configuration over to it. I was using the extender with the 8811 so chose the extender for the 9910 as well. I only got a little more than half my devices into IR when I ran out of upgrade memory. At first I tried to use the extender 2/extender 3 definitions in the upgrade area but had problems with RemoteMaster which I didn't know how to solve and when i started searching the forums for a solution on that, it appeared that there might be some question over the viability of those extenders so I decided to go back to the first version. I managed to eliminate quite a bit of memory usage by eliminating one of the extender protocols I didn't need and by removing a couple of my upgrades and just using keymoves in conjunction with the built in setup codes for a couple of the devices but I am still over the limit and running out of ideas.

It occurred to me that there might be a workaround I am not aware of, however, with regards to my two VCRs. They are both JVC S9500 VCRs but they are set up to respond to different remote codes. One uses VCR/0067, which is built in to my remote and was one of the devices where I resorted to key-moves so that I could eliminate an upgrade. The other uses VCR/0008, however, which is not built into my remote (and it was in loading it into IR where I ran out of upgrade memory). All the keycodes are the same between the two definitions, they use the same JVC base protocol -- it appears that the only difference is in the one byte of fixed data. Is there some way of using the built in VCR/0067 definition to access both?

Failing that, I still need to figure out a way of cutting down on memory. I have uploaded my IR file:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3903

It is a long way from finished though most of what is left is setting up a bunch of additional key moves, add a bunch of macros, etc., so shouldn' t use any additional upgrade memory. I was hoping that some of you might be kind enough to have a quick look and see if there's anything obvious I could do to regain some upgrade memory.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

- Les
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at some of the upgrades you are using. We can definitely improve that TV/0063 upgrade that you're using for the Sampo, and maybe the LDP/1074 upgrade that you're using for the JVC also.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnoland1 wrote:
That's great news. What's the approach you are thinking about?

I'm guessing that Jon Armstrong put that executor together. He never got around to learning how to write assembler code, so the resulting upgrade uses 3 bytes of variable data, where 1 would suffice. When I get a chance I will tweek the executor code so that it only needs 1 variable byte, which will reduce that particular upgrade to about a 1/3rd of it's current size.

lnoland1 wrote:
By the way, speaking of the LDP/1074, this is the first time I have ever used the device combiner protocol and when looking at saving space it had occurred to me that the protocol takes up an awful lot of space

I'm assuming you're using the DC because you needed to include multiple JVC device codes in the upgrade. Well, since the days you put that one together a "JVC Combo" protocol has been written which might use less memory than the DC.
lnoland1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
lnoland1 wrote:
That's great news. What's the approach you are thinking about?

I'm guessing that Jon Armstrong put that executor together. He never got around to learning how to write assembler code, so the resulting upgrade uses 3 bytes of variable data, where 1 would suffice. When I get a chance I will tweek the executor code so that it only needs 1 variable byte, which will reduce that particular upgrade to about a 1/3rd of it's current size.

You are correct. It was indeed Jon Armstrong who created the custom protocol for my plasma display. I thought perhaps my monitor was just an odd duck and that was the reason for the three byte commands. Good to know that it can be done more simply.

The Robman wrote:
lnoland1 wrote:
By the way, speaking of the LDP/1074, this is the first time I have ever used the device combiner protocol and when looking at saving space it had occurred to me that the protocol takes up an awful lot of space

I'm assuming you're using the DC because you needed to include multiple JVC device codes in the upgrade. Well, since the days you put that one together a "JVC Combo" protocol has been written which might use less memory than the DC.

You're two for two (as if anyone is surprised). I'll try experimenting with the JVC Combo protocol and see how it works.

In the meantime, I have uploaded a zip file containing all the RM upgrade files which were included in my IR file as well as the upgrade files for VCR/0067 and CBL/0877 which I later removed since both devices are built into my remote so I changed over to just using keymoves with those devices. NOTE: technically, the ReplayTV upgrade in that zip is not the one which is in my IR file but the only thing I did was to change the name and description. The previous name/description was a little misleading as it hadn't kept up with modifications.

The zip file can be found here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3910

Thanks so much for all your help.

- Les
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put together a new executor that only requires 1 variable byte of data. I'm not at home right now, so I can't test it, so it might not work. If none of the buttons do anything, try switching the byte2 column from 1 to 0 (or vice versa). If it still doesn't work, I'll test it this evening.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3914
lnoland1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I've just put together a new executor that only requires 1 variable byte of data. I'm not at home right now, so I can't test it, so it might not work. If none of the buttons do anything, try switching the byte2 column from 1 to 0 (or vice versa). If it still doesn't work, I'll test it this evening.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3914

I'm going to have to say no as to this working -- when I tried it, a few functions worked, some did something different than what they were supposed to do, but most just locked up my TV so I had to power-cycle it to reset. I tried flipping all the byte 2 values as you suggested and that resulted in some which were working not working and some which were not started working but not in a predictable manner (at least not predictable to me). I tried changing byte 2 on only the keys which weren't working and that seemed to maximize the number of keys which actually did something but it certainly wasn't working properly.

The most reliable keys seemed to be the input selection keys (i.e. the keys which changed the inputs, such as AV1 and Component2) if that's worth anything. I was not able to test any of the keys which involve the TV tuner, such as channel selection, etc., as I don't have the optional tuner.

On a slightly tangential matter, I had time to do a little more experimentation with that upgrade file for my receiver which was in the files section and it appears that some of the keys for it don't work with my receiver, either -- apparently, the failing ones being those which were keymoves from a different device -- so I may still need to do something different with my receiver.

My current status is that I have all of my devices loaded (I reverted to the prior upgrade for my TV) but my receiver is only partially working and I have 31 bytes (or whatever unit it is that IR reports) of upgrade space free.

I'm going to investigate the DVD changes johnsfine had suggested, next.

- Les
lnoland1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: incompatible protocols? Reply with quote

Since the new monitor upgrade hadn't worked out, I loaded my remote with the old upgrade only to find that it didn't work either -- in fact, it didn't work at all. In investigating this something finally occurred to me -- the code for the protocol looked exactly the same on both my 9910 and my 8811 -- but these have different processors, don't they? is the assembly code somehow compatible between them? Or, since this was a cujstom-generated protocol, does that mean that it can't be converted to work on a different remote by simply changing the selected remote within RemoteMaster?

- Les
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8811 and 8910 have the same processor, so that's not the issue.

Before I start testing this new exec so that it sends the same signals as the old exec, I'd like to know that the old one works.

Do you still have the OEM Sampo remote? If so, could you learn some of the buttons and post the IR file so I can see what we're really shooting for. Please include a few of the buttons with a 0 in byte2 (like POWER, VOL +/-, CH +/-) and a few with a 1 in byte2 (like the input selects).

BTW, just in case you're interested, I found the original thread where you first asked for help with the Sampo and JVC...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/16260
lnoland1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The 8811 and 8910 have the same processor, so that's not the issue.

Before I start testing this new exec so that it sends the same signals as the old exec, I'd like to know that the old one works.

Do you still have the OEM Sampo remote? If so, could you learn some of the buttons and post the IR file so I can see what we're really shooting for. Please include a few of the buttons with a 0 in byte2 (like POWER, VOL +/-, CH +/-) and a few with a 1 in byte2 (like the input selects).

BTW, just in case you're interested, I found the original thread where you first asked for help with the Sampo and JVC...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/16260

I still have the remote so I can learn those functions (doeds it matter which remote I use to learn them? ) I don't have time to do it right now -- I'll have to do it tonight after work.

The upgrade is working fine on my 8811 which got me to wondering, so I did some analysis. I foimd that the upgrade code for the two remotes was quite a bit different. At this point I think that mhy problems are due to using a wrong RDF file or something like that. I noted that the list of functions for the device as listed in IR differs for the two remotes. I used the raw code from the 8811 upgrade as seen by IR and imported it into RemoteMaster, creating a new upgrade. The new upgrade sort of works but some of the commands are in the wrong place. (e.g. on the 8811, the power command is followed by the down key command whereas on the 9910 the power command is followed by the menu command -- but only the keynames are messed up -- the codes appear to be the same and in the same order so pressing the menu key on the 9910 basically does what the down key does on the 8811. I'm not sure where each tool gets its definition files for the remotes -- I may just have to experiment with it awhile.

-Les
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have issues with your 8910 setup, could you test the upgrade that I created using your 8811 instead, so at least we'll know if the issue is with my upgrade or your setup.

Also, I'm going to be getting a copy of the official UEI setup code soon, so you'll be able to test that also.

As for the learning, I don't mind which JP1 remote you use.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the KM file, so give it another try. The official code for this set is TV/1755 which uses the "Emerson Combo (4 dev)" protocol (and I've loaded the official version here).

The official protocol has code in it that you don't need, so I scalled it down somewhat for the version I want you to test.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I tried loading the linked upgrades in RM v1.72, and the upgrade code is the same as what I see in KM (other than the embedded comments).

The upgrades I tried:
Sampo-PME42S6-plasma (ver3)
TV-1755

Greg,
The upgrades should be the same, but the protocol code should be different. My protocol code is smaller.

Les,
The OBCs used for both of those upgrades was based on the data found in this upgrade file (which is yours, I believe), I did some more checking and found this file which has some extra functions and a different code for CCD (it needs a '2' in the byte2 column).

I have just updated both my file and the UEI file to include these updated functions.

I have re-read both versions of the protocol and I can't see any reason why my version wouldn't work, so I'll need to test it myself to see what is really getting sent.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the mistake, so my version should work also now and should save you a few bytes over the official version.
lnoland1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Les,
The OBCs used for both of those upgrades was based on the data found in this upgrade file (which is yours, I believe), I did some more checking and found this file which has some extra functions and a different code for CCD (it needs a '2' in the byte2 column).

Yeah, I had gone back and checked my earlier upgrade and found the CCD problem existed there as well. I had never mapped the CCD key since I do almost all my TV watching via the ReplayTV and originally, there was a bug in the ReplayTV software which would, more often than not, prevent closed captioning from working anyway. So, at this point I don't know if I just learned the same function onto two different keys or there was a problem in the original decoding or what (not that it really matters).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter as that other file had the CCD code included, and it matches the data that UEI has more recently sent me.

When you get a chance, give the new upgrade a whirl and let me know if it works. It uses less memory than the UEI upgrade, which should be good for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: