JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Probably a really dumb question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlin803

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Probably a really dumb question... Reply with quote

Ok, I programmed my 9910 last year using IR and have got a little rusty (not that I was exactly an expert before...).

But, is there any way in IR to have a button (the Guide button) programmed to execute the guide command twice each time it is pressed but ONLY when using the CBL device.

In other words, when I am using the CBL device and press the Guide button, I want it to execute twice. But using any other device, I still want the Guide command to only execute once when I press it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Kludge instead of DSM Reply with quote

I assume you're not using an extender. This sort of thing is much simpler with an extender.

The basic feature you want is called DSM (device specific macro).

I don't recall whether there is a DSM protocol for the 9910 without extender. But even if there is, DSM is rather tricky to set up without an extender. If you just want one DSM it is easier to use the kludge for this that existed even before JP1:

1) Select a phantom key you're not using (in any device mode) or a shifted key that is both unused shifted in all modes and undefined unshifted in all the setup codes you're using (Hint the L and M keys are undefined in ALL setup codes).

2) Program a keymove defining the key selected in (1) to be Guide in CBL mode.

3) Program a macro so that Guide is defined as Guide followed by the key selected above.

Without an extender, macros can't nest. So you press Guide in any mode invoking that macro. But the macro uses Guide and can't nest the macro so it falls back on the non-macro definition of Guide. That sends Guide once in all modes. Then the macro does that other key. In CBL mode that is Guide again. In all other modes it finds no KeyMove for that key, so it falls back on the setup code only (not keymove) meaning of the unshifted value of that key. But you picked a key not defined by setup code so it does nothing.

Of course you could look up DSM in other threads here and do it that way instead. But without an extender a DSM is NOT simpler than the kludge I just described.
merlin803

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kludge instead of DSM Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I assume you're not using an extender. This sort of thing is much simpler with an extender.

The basic feature you want is called DSM (device specific macro).

I don't recall whether there is a DSM protocol for the 9910 without extender. But even if there is, DSM is rather tricky to set up without an extender. If you just want one DSM it is easier to use the kludge for this that existed even before JP1:

1) Select a phantom key you're not using (in any device mode) or a shifted key that is both unused shifted in all modes and undefined unshifted in all the setup codes you're using (Hint the L and M keys are undefined in ALL setup codes).

2) Program a keymove defining the key selected in (1) to be Guide in CBL mode.

3) Program a macro so that Guide is defined as Guide followed by the key selected above.

Without an extender, macros can't nest. So you press Guide in any mode invoking that macro. But the macro uses Guide and can't nest the macro so it falls back on the non-macro definition of Guide. That sends Guide once in all modes. Then the macro does that other key. In CBL mode that is Guide again. In all other modes it finds no KeyMove for that key, so it falls back on the setup code only (not keymove) meaning of the unshifted value of that key. But you picked a key not defined by setup code so it does nothing.

Of course you could look up DSM in other threads here and do it that way instead. But without an extender a DSM is NOT simpler than the kludge I just described.

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: