JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2116 LKP on Device button

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craiglud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: 2116 LKP on Device button Reply with quote

I am fairly new to the extenders for JP1 devices. However I have my 2116 set up with all the devices for my particular components and have all the keys set up and working great. I have also set up a couple of LKP macros on several keys on the remote with success.

I am having problems setting up a LKP macro on the device button that would do the following 1. Short press select that device and set the appropriate vol and transport keys 2. Long key press would select that device then set the tv to the right input, and set the receiver to the right audio setting and then activate the device. I have the macros set up and i can verify that they work using a shift + device button, however when i create the LKP macro the actual device key no longer works.

From reading the forms is seems like LKP macros can be put on device buttons so most likely i am doing something wrong.

My LKP macro is:
short: shift-cable
long: ex-cable

Hex Cmd: 41 92 D2

I then put this code on the device: cable button: cable

I am using the 2216ex2 extender. Any advice appreciated.

Craig
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the experts could probably spot the answer from the info you have given. I am having trouble following everything. Could you upload your IR file to the yahoo diagnostics folder and I will gladly take a look, unless someone else beats me to the punch!

One thing I was wondering is if possibly there is a reference on the cable button to itself (recursive nesting = endless loop), and for me that would be easier to spot by looking at the IR file.

Cheers,
JP1Files
craiglud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted the IR file in the yahoo diagnostics folder as: "Craig 2116 Ex2 LKP_Problem.zip"

The key move in question is the last on created
Bound Device: CBL
Bound Key: CBL

I am trying to get it to execute either of the macros shift-cbl or xs_cbl depending on type of keypress.

Many thanks,

Craig
willcodeforbeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at your file. However, here's what I'm guessing...

When you press a key, that key does something based not only on its meaning, but also its currently "active" device. That's why the pause key does different things depending on whether the DVD or VCR device is active.

For the extender, you can have different active devices for different groups of keys. The so-called "device" keys (TV, CBL, etc.), have no special meaning in the extender, and are in the "other" keys ("SET_OTHER_KEYS") group.

Key moves (including LKP) are activated for a given key, but only when the keymove "bound" device is that key's currently active device.

The way you set things up, your LKP keymove will execute on a CBL keypress only when the CBL device is active for that key. (You would have needed to do "DEV_CBL; SET_OTHER_KEYS" to make that so, and you understandably wouldn't have.)

So, how do we get around this limitation? Macros! Thankfully, a macro for a key will execute when the key is pressed, regardless of its currently active device.

Here's what you want to do (for example):

1) Put a macro on the CBL key. Have it execute "DEV_CBL; Phantom3". Now, whenever CBL is pressed, regardless of its currently active device, it will execute Phantom3 with the CBL device active.

2) Put your LKP keymove on Phantom3 (bound device CBL). This will now get executed whenever the CBL button is pressed.

3) Now the LPK should execute your Shift-CBL and XShift-CBL macros as expected. (The LPK is actually excuting these "keys" with the device CBL active, but again, macros are device-independent.)

Of course, you can substitute another "hidden" key for Phantom3. You could have used XShift-7 or whatever.

In the extender documentation, there a file "LongDoubleKeyPress.txt". Under "Tips", there's a topic "'Global' L/DKP". It discusses this pretty well. Remember that the 2116 extender uses DEV_* for temporary device setting, not X_*.

There is another way to do this. You can forever set the "other" key group to one and only one active device (e.g. DEV_TV). Then you can do direct LKP keymoves without a macro (since the active device is always the known and the same). However, in this case, other "other" buttons like "Power" can only access non-TV devices when invoked from a marco or keymove that sets a different device temporarily.

Hope this helps.

- Jeff
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

I looked over your IR.txt file and I think Jeff is right.

When you press CBL and nothing happens, what does the LCD screen say prior to pressing CBL key? What you want is for the LCD screen to say "CBL" prior to pressing the CBL key. (To be technically accurate, you actually want the "SET_OTHER_KEYS to be bound to DEV_CBL, but since your phantom1 macro binds the other keys and the lcd screen at the same time, if the lcd says CBL then your "Other" keys are bound to CBL.)

And why is all this important? Because the CBL key is a member of the "Other" group of keys. Whatever "Other" is bound to, CBL is bound to. For example:

KEYMOVES TAB IN IR.exe:
bound device/bound key:action
TV/CBL: press 0-3
DVD/CBL: some TOADTOG
VCR/CBL: press POWER
AUX/CBL: press 4
CBL/CBL: LKP

In the above example, if you are in TV mode and press the CBL button, which is what you are probably doing, the CBL LKP won't run. It will change the TV to channel 03 in my example above. The only way to get the LKP to run is to be in CBL mode before you press CBL.

The reason for all this is that keymoves are not global: you can have a different keymove on the same key in every device mode, like in the example above. However, macros are global. I like what Jeff wrote above. When I set up my extender many many years ago.. no wait, I just did it 2 days ago Smile I followed a well thought out design which is worth looking at and can be found here. If you have not seen this guide before, it is well worth a read. Hope this helps!

Happy Holidays,
JP1Files
craiglud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

You were right. I had not activiated the CBL device prior to trying to run the macro. I had read and rered the materials over a couple of nights and still could not get what i was missing. I have set up a test macro as suggested and it is working great. Thanks for setting me straight.

I am also going to read the setup guide you pointed out Setve as it is almost exactly what I am trying to accomplish. ToadTog was next on my list after the LKP macros. I will give it a read and then keep going.

Thanks again for the quick and accurate replys.

Happy Holidays,
Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: