JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Escient Fireball E2 Music/DVD server
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Escient Fireball E2 Music/DVD server Reply with quote

Hi, I have a CCF file for my Escient Fireball Music/DVD server and am trying to get it to a format that my Slingbox will work with to control it, but I'm can't figure it out.

The CCF is here: http://www.escient.com/support/intphilips.html

Take your pick of which one.. does not matter

I only need the MCE codes for device 1 from what I can tell... the CCF files seem to have the codes for up to 4 fireballs as well as for the optional IR Keyboard...

I have a IR code 2 (JU) Slingbox Pro

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Tony
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded one of those files:
Escient_E2_DVDM_TSU6000.ccf

Each of the four FB sections of that file has both MCE commands and Nokia commands.

If I understand you, you need only one section and only the MCE commands, not the Nokia commands. Thats good because the Slingbox doesn't seem able to mix code sets in one device mode the way most JP1 remotes can (with a device combiner or with KeyMoves).

But I also don't know the status of the MCE executor for Slingbox. Maybe one of the other experts will comment on that.
TonyD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I only need the MCE codes from what i saw in the Excel file I manged to generate.. I think the NOKIA codes are for the optional full size keyboard (used for entering title info etc if it's not in Gracenote).

I just need to control it, and only for 1 box, so I don't need Device 2,3,4

Hope that helps, anything you can do to help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Tony
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Rob has told me there is a limit on total upgrade size for a Slingbox, but I don't recall ever learning what number of bytes that limit is.

I selected Slingbox JU and MCE in RemoteMaster and the upgrade protocol you get for PID 012A is a monster. I assume it leaves no room for a device upgrade.

I expect you need a smaller version of PID 012A. I hope I can find some time to make that sometime soon. Maybe some other expert knows where there already is one and/or understands the size issue better.
TonyD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, That is a little Greek to me, but I get the jist of it I think... Hopefully it can work, it looks like the original remote is made by the same guys that make the OFA remotes and the ones that come with cable boxs etc.

Anyone else got some ideas?

Thanks,

Tony
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the CCF, but last time we heard of the Fireball it used the UEI "XMP" protocol (ie, $016C) which should be built into the Slingboxes. This protocol uses 2 variable bytes, but any device that we've seen only uses one of them (leaving the other set to zeroes), but which one is used varies by device.

The Fireball uses the 2nd variable byte as the OBC byte, so when we created an upgrade for it way back when, we modified the exec from being a 4-2 exec to being a 5-1 exec so the upgrade would be smaller.

That upgrade is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3813

However, as the Slingboxes already have this protocol built in, the correct approach would be to create a 2-byte upgrade that doesn't need a protocol upgrade.

I just did that here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3814
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no basis for guessing whether that CCF file has the correct signals for the device you want to control. But I can tell you that MCE signals and XMP signals are totally different.

I hope it's easy to test that file Rob gave you. That would make more sense than guessing which type of signal you need. But if you have good reason to believe that CCF file has the signals you need, then you can expect the file from Rob won't work and you need an MCE upgrade.
TonyD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am still not getting all this.... How do I export that to a BIN file slingbox can use, I can't get the Export BIN option in RM to become black so I can use it...

Sorry for all the trouble, I must be missing something simple here! Sad

Thanks for all your help though!
TonyD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, some more poking around, reading and random trying things and I am able to export a BIN.... and to get Sling set up assistant to import it, but I think the codes have changed..

Rob's files are for a E40 - that is an older model from what I can tell on the Escient site...

The newer models seem to use a different version of remote? So could it be the wrong stuff in the older E40 file Rob posted?

Hope that makes sense???
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common failure on bin creation is to leave the remote set to the remote used in the upgrade and forget to change it to the correct Slingbox remote before exporting the binary upgrade. This could allow Sling to accept it but not be able to use it correctly.

Just a thought on a simple possibility.
TonyD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, on the Setup tab of RM I have the Slingbox with UEI JU Chip remote type selected... I think that is right and I have the protocol set to Manual with ID set to 01 6C as the message above said..

I am fairly sure that the txt files posted above are for the old remote for the older E40, the newer Escient box's (including mine) use a newer remote with a different code set that looks much smaller to me.

As well I found this document for my Escient Remote on their site, it is very imformitive:

http://www.escient.com/support/supportdocuments/FireBallRemoteControlGuideBlack.pdf

Some details I found: (All from this document):

The FireBall IR remote uses the Philips RC6 Mode 6A IR protocol. The following table lists
the RC6 Mode 6A key codes used by the FireBall that can be used in the ProntoEdit PC
application to generate the IR codes for the Philips Pronto remote products and can also be
used to generate the CCF files that can be imported into other 3rd party applications and
control systems.

(The table is then listed with all those codes)

IMPORTANT NOTE

The old original FireBall IR remote control has FB, TB,
PP, and RCV source buttons instead of FB1, FB2,
FB3, and FB4 buttons. This remote will NOT operate a
FireBall a new E2, SE, or DVDM.

FireBall E-40 and E-120 Music Servers which have
been updated with the E2 Software Update do not
have the same IR chip and therefore cannot use this
new remote. Continue to use the original FireBall
remote (with FB, TB, PP, and RCV source buttons) for
the FireBall E-40 and E-120.

Does any of that help us?? I am fairly sure the txt files above will only work with the older models, not the newer ones, but I am going to need help converting the newer CCF file to something that RM can use if someone can??

Thanks again for all your guys help, this is a great community!

Tony
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem to confirm that the newer boxes use a different codeset to the older E40 boxes. Therefore, somebody will have to sort through the output from the CCF file and create an upgrade for you.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:

The FireBall IR remote uses the Philips RC6 Mode 6A IR protocol.

Prontos use the name "RC6 Mode 6A" for two different protocols in the RC6 family. One of them is a subset of what we call "MCE" (which itself is a subset of RC6-6-32). The other is what we call RC6-6-24.

The signals in that CCF are MCE (there are some Nokia signals there for the letter buttons, but definitely no RC-6-24 nor any XMP)..

The Robman wrote:
Therefore, somebody will have to sort through the output from the CCF file and create an upgrade for you.

Do we know for sure that creating it directly in RM, choosing MCE protocol, would result in too large an upgrade?

I expect it would, and I hope to find time to write a smaller executor for MCE. But meanwhile, maybe Tony can try using MCE with the generic instructions for building a Slingbox .bin file.

Last edited by johnsfine on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just taken a closer look at the ccf file. There are two protocols being used here, one for the normal buttons and one for the keyboard letters.

There are four sets of codes (labelled FB1 thru FB4) where the OBCs are the same across all four sets, but either the device code or sub-device code changes.

The normal buttons all use the MCE protocol. For these the subdevice is constant at 22, and the device code changes from 1 to 4 for FB1 thru FB4.

The keyboard buttons use the Nokia protocol with a fixed device code of 33. The sub-device changes from 184 thru 187 for FB1 thru FB4.

The keyboard buttons all use 2-part signals where the OBC for the 2nd part is 128 greater than the OBC for the first part (ie, the MSB toggles). (Another slightly interesting thing about the letters is that if you sort them by OBC, they are arranged in QWERTY fashion).

Assuming that you're not worried about the keyboard letters, here's an untested upgrade for the normal buttons...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3817
TonyD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, so should I be using Rob's custom Protocol from above or the MCE Protocol...

I've tried every combination of protocol etc I can think of or see, but I think I am chasing my tail in circles here, I seem to be missing something or doing something wrong...

How can I check if Johns txt file above matches the CCF file info from the Escient site to ensure the codes are correct in his file?

I'm a little confused about the Output tab in RM as well, what are we supposed to do with the Upgrade and Protocol codes listed there ... if anything.

Thanks,

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: