JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

please help 8910
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbollt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: please help 8910 Reply with quote

Information overload! I have had a 15-1994 for a few years, and have run out of memory...NOT using JP1 yet.. So, I bought a 8910, and am waiting for the cable to be delivered from a web site recommended here. In the meantime, I have a Panasonic sc-ht700 (theater in a box) and have found code 1518 works a few functions. I have been reading these forums and related websites till I can't see anymore the last 3 days! Can someone please direct me to the efc (advanced codes) for this device...I have now used up all memory on the 8910 doing learning! I will most likely need some assistance once I get the JP1 cable as well..thanks in advance for any and all help. You folks are great,and this and related sites are great, but I am getting overloaded with info, and getting confused.. Thanks again....
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How soon is your JP1 cable arriving? That will make things much simpler.

1518 is a combo protocol so no EFC numbers will give un-reliable results (they may work on occasion, but mostly they won't).

It combines subdevices 0, 2, 4, 10 and 28 of Panasonic protocol, device 160.

Your 8910 also includes the setup code CD/0303 which is Panasonic 160, subdevice 10, not a combo setup code so some of the EFC numbers listed here are likely to work
http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?CD_0303
You can use KeyMoves in Setup code CD/0303 to redefine the keys for your device, without JP1, even if you don't keep CD/0303 as one of your device sellections, but the process would be much simpler if you used a JP1 cable.

I don't see any other setup codes in an 8910 that fit this device, so any EFC numbers that aren't in CD/0303 will need to wait for the JP1 cable.
jbollt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Johnfine Reply with quote

I'm not sure when the cable will come, just ordered it online yesterday... From all I have read on the JP1 so far, it seems very confusing to me at this point without the cable and software. Perhaps it will seem clearer when i have them in front of me. I think I have tried 0303 CD device key with no obvious positive results.
jbollt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: johnsfine..got JP1 Reply with quote

OK..I got the JP1 cable, and have downloaded the software...ir.exe, i think it is a more recent version then refered to in the "JP1 for beginners" by Tommy Tyler dated 8/17/01, as many of the screen shots are different, but I am stumbling along. I have been able to download the remote into the computer, save it, reset the remote to factory defaults, and then re-install all functionality that I had before from the computer. WHEW! That was enough for one day...

Now, I would like to (I think) create a setup code for my Panasonic sourround system (in a box) and save all the learned functions to that code. Am I on the right tract? Can this be done? What would be my next step to do this?

Thanks for this WONDERFUL sit and all the fantastic folks who help all us newbies. Happy Holidays to all!
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbollt wrote:
What would be my next step to do this?
If there is no existing device upgrade (look in the device upgrade folder at yahoo.jp1), then the best way to get up and running is to build your own.

Learn buttons from the original remote to your 8910 remote. Upload the remote into IR.exe and click the learn tab and write down what you see. Learn all the keys off the original remote and after you have written them all down, go to KM. In KM, you pick your remote from a drop down box (8910), you pick your protocol from a drop down box (it is listed in the learn you did already), you type in any device number under the protocol you just selected (also from the learn you did), you name the thing in the big yellow box at the top, then you go to the function page and put in all the info you wrote down (like, Vol+, then 054, or whatever the number happens to be that you wrote down for Vol+), then you go to the button page and assign the functions you just set up to actual buttons (like for Vol+, pick Vol+ off the drop down box), then you save it, copy the upgrade box (on the front page) over to the upgrade tab in IR, and you are pretty much all set. Sometimes the protocol box has stuff in it; if so, it needs to be copied to the IR protocol tab.

Happy Holidays,
JP1Files
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Home theater folder in the Yahoo JP1 group, there are three similar upgrades
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/Home%20Theater%20Systems/

One seems to use the Panasonic Combo2 protocol, which is the simplest way to build this upgrade. It probably doesn't have all the functions of your device, but it's a good place to start.

For any functions that are in your original remote but missing from that upgrade, it is simplest to learn the functions, download to IR.EXE and look at the decodes in IR's learned signals tab. That should give you the subdevice and OBC to add to your version of the upgrade.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three device upgrades for Panasonic HTIB's here
So try those first. I suspect someone has already done all the hard work.

BTW, don't toss that 1994 out. You can do anything with that and a JP1 cable that any other OFA remote can do without the LCD display.
jbollt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: No toss Reply with quote

Thanks for all your quick responses..I will get to working on it some more tomorrow. Don't worry! I WILL NOT toss the 1994, I think I may even like it better than the 8910...who needs the LCD? And the red backlight is not as nice as the blue, IMHO..
jbollt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh! MANY hours later, all I can do, is copy the remote into ir, clear the remote so it does nothing, then restore it from IR. I have tried to have a "blank" remote, then learn only one function to it. Fine..then I download the learned function to ir. This is where i think I am doing something wrong. I go to the learned signals tab, copy the info there (protocol=panasonic), device 160, efc 252...then go into KM, select 15-1994 (testing on this remote) device is amp? (I am uncertain, as it is a theater in a box) I choose a setup code, (using 1234) Button codes I leave on efc, Protocol panasonic. Then i go to the functions tab, set the function button (in this test, power, put in the efc number, 252...then to the buttons tab, assign power to power, back to the setup page where I copy the device upgrade code (minus the text "upgrade code 0=...end" and past it into ir protocols tab, hit "add"...i put in the protocol ID, with out spaces, then paste the same upgrade code into the devices tab, "add". Then back to the general tab, and upload to the remote. ARGH! no workie..
Can someone give me a few minutes of help? I'm sure i am just dense, or misreading some instructions somewhere.
Thanks
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbollt wrote:
where I copy the device upgrade code (minus the text "upgrade code 0=...end" and paste it into ir protocols tab, hit "add"...i put in the protocol ID, with out spaces, then paste the same upgrade code into the devices tab, "add".

1. for future reference, upload your IR.exe txt file to the diagnosis folder, it may help an expert identify the problem faster.
2. in KM, to the left of the upgrade box is an icon that means "copy to clipboard." Use it. I usually notice that the words "upgrade code =" are included in the copy, but in this case I think this is the least of your problems. There is a similar copy-to-clipboard-icon to the left of the protocols box in KM.
3. you say you copy the DEVICE upgrade code and paste it into ir PROTOCOLs tab, then paste the same upgrade code into the devices tab. Interesting, very interesting... I have only been here for a month, but I would guess very few people, perhaps even no one, has ever done this before. Why would you do this? Smile
What you want to do is:
3a. paste the KM device upgrade to the IR DEVICES tab. use the device-upgrade-box-copy-to-clipboard-icon.
3b. paste the KM protocol upgrade (if there is one) to the KM PROTOCOL tab. use the protocol-copy-to-clipboard-icon.

Let us know how you fare! Good Luck,
JP1Files
jbollt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
3. you say you copy the DEVICE upgrade code and paste it into ir PROTOCOLs tab, then paste the same upgrade code into the devices tab. Interesting, very interesting... I have only been here for a month, but I would guess very few people, perhaps even no one, has ever done this before. Why would you do this? Smile

I guess i was doing that part right originaly, but with no good results, so I went fishing for help on this forum..found a post with instructions that seemed to indicate that was one of my errors. Thanks for the help, I will go back to square one today,and try again. Maybe I will upload the .txt file you mentioned for some help.

thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbollt wrote:
... back to the setup page where I copy the device upgrade code (minus the text "upgrade code 0=...end" and past it into ir protocols tab, hit "add"...i put in the protocol ID, with out spaces, then paste the same upgrade code into the devices tab, "add".

First off, the "upgrade code 0=...end" text is there to tell IR.exe what to do with the code, which avoids the need for the user (ie, YOU) to have to enter the protocol and/or setup code numbers themselves (and probably entering them incorrectly into the bargain). So next time, copy the entire code block, it'll make things easier. Plus, like Steve pointed out, there is a COPY icon that will copy the code block to the clip board for you.

Secondly, "upgrade codes" and "protocol codes" are COMPLETELY different things and should not be mixed up in any way. The protocol code tells the remote what type of signals to create (ie, how many bits, what frequency, etc, etc). In many cases the required protocol is already built into the remote and doesn't need to be loaded (in which case, KM will leave that block blank). The upgrade code simply plugs values into those protocols, telling the remote what device codes to build into the signal and what EFCs to use on each button.
jbollt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob, and all... I am getting closer to understanding this JP1 stuff! And am getting more familiar with the procedures, but still feel I am away from my goal...But continue to plug away at it, read posts, and instructions....I have successfully uploaded one of the Panasonic upgrades posted on the JP1 files site, but with very linited results. Basically, only power and vol+ and vol- seem to work my panasonic HTIB sc ht700. Looking at the data on the learned signals page of IR (from the signals i have learned into my 8910, and comparing them with the data from the Panasonic SA-HT390-Device-Combine upgrade (granted not the same model, and this may be the cause??) file i see the following (one example)

my learned----> RCVR:tv/vcr button Protocol=Panasonic, Device=160, subdevice=0, OBC=158, hex cmnd=86, EFC=254

from the upgrade---> vcr EFC=254, byte2:#dur=6, OBC=134 hex=06 86

my learned function works, the one from the upgrade doesn't. My question, and please forgive me, as I AM getting further in this, is...if the EFCs are the same, shouldn't the OBC also be the same, or is this the reason this function from the upgrade doesn't work my equipment?

What I want to accomplish is keeping all existing functions and key moves, and macros in my remote that already work for me for the other devices, pansaonic VCR, Toshiba TV, getting the learned functions that I alread have that have filled my memory and save them to a new device code, learning the rest, combining them all into one saved file, and uploading that into my remote. From what i have read, this is possible. I have not been able to even get one learned code saved to a new device code and upload that one function and get it to work.

thanks again for all of your continued help.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbollt wrote:
if the EFCs are the same, shouldn't the OBC also be the same

In a device combiner upgrade KM does not know how to display correct OBC values. The EFC looks right and the 6 looks right, so the signal in the upgrade should be right.

I have no guess at what you might be doing wrong.

You should save image files (IR's file/save command) before each upload to your remote. If one or more of those uploads gives confusing results (such as this key in an upgrade that should duplicate a certain learned signal but seems not to) you can upload the saved file(s) to the diagnosis folder and ask here again giving the file name and describing what you tried in testing the remote and what results you got.
jbollt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I am going to try this again. My plan is to try to copy one learned Function, as a test, to see if I can create a new device code for that. Here are my steps. If anyone can look over my steps and comment, I would be grateful.

1. Clear the remote (by uploading a blank IR.txt file to it)
2. Learn one command from my Panasonic SC ht700 remote "play". This is the function that plays the CD or DVD when in the cd/dvd mode on the home theater unit.
3. Write down the following info from the learned signals tab :Panasonic, 160, 28, 10, AF, 055.
4. I then open KM v8.06, a new clean file, and select 8910 as the remote, device type I select Tuner (Maybe this is where I am going wrong?) as the function I am trying to get is for a cd/dvd palyer???For setup code, i select 1234, and check to see that that is not in my remote under rcvr device, by trying to enter it manually,and getting one long blink. Button codes are set to EFC. Protocol name is Panasonic, main device is 160sub device is 28, OEM Code 1 is 2 and OEM Code 2 is 32...Protocol ID is already entered as 00C9, and Fixed data id C2 BF FB FA C7.
5. I then go to the functions tab, and find the word "play" in the functions col, and type 055 next to it in the EFC col. Hitting the Tab key on the keyboard enters 010 under OBC and AF under Hex.
6. I then go to the buttons page,and fine play next to play so this is good.
7 I then go back to the setup page in KM, and click on the little brown copy and paste button in the upper left corner of the URC-9910/8910 Device Upgrade Code box, which opens ir ( a new clean file) and I open the devices tab, and click add..then past into the upgrade device window, and click OK.
8. Then to the general tab, I enter 1234 for the code next to RCVR, and select rcvr in the type col. I notice that I have Tuner selected as device type in KM as RCVR isn't in the drop down and RCVR selected here.
9. I think i have covered all my steps, and will test.

Last edited by jbollt on Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: