JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Possible bug using IR with Windows Vista

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex750

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Possible bug using IR with Windows Vista Reply with quote

I'm now running Vista RC1, after getting it from MS and installing...Tried running IR for the first time with Vista.

On launch I get an error:
Quote:
Unable to initialize drivers for any JP1 interface. Drivers for at least one interface must be able to load in order for IR to communicate with your remote.

Parallel/Serial Error: Unable to open Servce Control Manager. Please make sure you have Admin rights.

USB Error: Unable to find Delcom device driver.

I am (supposedly) running with Admin rights, as I can install programs and alter system-level settings, etc. I use the old-fashioned simple parallel interface cable; it's worked with 95, 98, and 2000.

When I click OK, IR runs more or less normally, once I locate the RDFs and open a saved EEPROM file. However, all interface options are 'grayed out'.

Is this a configuration error on my part, a bug in this version of Vista, or a genuine incompatibility with Vista? Should I submit a bug report to Microsoft?
alex750

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: IR 7.0b2 and Vista RC1: "Privileged instruction" e Reply with quote

After an unsuccessful attempt to run IR 6.20 in Vista RC1 (Build 5600), I tried 7.0b2...initially got the "missing files" error. Copied gwiopm.sys to the 7.0 directory, which worked. No errors on launch.

Located RDFs and opened a saved IR file (for my URC-6800B). So far, so good.

Attempted to upload, got an alert saying simply "Privileged instruction." No further explanation.

Same error when I tried to download from the 6800B.

Same error when I selected "Check interface", with my 6800B, my 8910 extended, or without any remote connected. I use the simple parallel interface, and I don't have any JP1.1 or 1.2 remotes to test.

I am running Vista as an administrator, and I'm the only user.
alex750

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: 7.0b2 doesn't work either Reply with quote

I tried 7.0b2 as well. It also doesn't work, though the problem is buried a bit deeper there:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=49467
alex750

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: oh, one other thing... Reply with quote

This may seem like a minor comment, but I'm adding it in the hopes it may prove clueful: Both IR 6.20 and 7.0b2 retain the "Classic Windows" appearance--none of Vista's fancy eye candy.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to Google it to find out what "Vista RC1" is, it turns out that it's a new version of Windows that is currently in Beta testing for their "Release Candidate 1".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
jonas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: 6.20 Works Reply with quote

Right click on IR.exe, and select "Run as Administrator." Works ok for me.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex750 wrote:
I am (supposedly) running with Admin rights
Should I submit a bug report to Microsoft?

It maybe in design specs. Admin rights may not be enough. And, as Rob says, it's still beta. Hey, XP is still beta isn't it Smile

Visual Tour: 20 Things You Won't Like About Windows Vista - see about 1/3 down about accounts
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9000829

Perhaps this will be of help to Vista issues - How to access the true Administrator account in Windows Vista
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001970
alex750

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Hey, it worked! Reply with quote

Quote:
It maybe in design specs. Admin rights may not be enough. And, as Rob says, it's still beta. Hey, XP is still beta isn't it Very Happy

Running 7.0b2 'as administrator' worked--uploading and downloading. (One odd glitch: Downloading from my extended 8910 screwed up the clock; re-uploading fixed it.) Thanks for the tip; it may be useful with other privilege-related problems (e.g., HOSTS file management programs and Scancat-Lite, an application for programming scanner radios) as well.

Do I need to do this every time, or just once?

I'll agree with you that Vista's "User Interface Control", while a huge improvement over XP's wide-open insecurity, is goofy and annoying. As in OS X and Linux, I should have to authenticate just once to do something privileged. Barfing up endless alerts that lock me out of the system, demanding I either click "Continue" or "Cancel" (without authentication) to return, is just silly and causes problems with installing older stuff. Evil or Very Mad

OTOH, Aero is really cool, if a bit more baroque-looking than OS X (and a real CPU and GPU hog, besides). XP's default interface, with its bright primary colors and large type, always looked toylike to me. And all the previous versions, from 2000 back to 95, look downright antique. 8)
LeapFroggie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, it worked! Reply with quote

alex750 wrote:
I'll agree with you that Vista's "User Interface Control", while a huge improvement over XP's wide-open insecurity, is goofy and annoying. As in OS X and Linux, I should have to authenticate just once to do something privileged. Barfing up endless alerts that lock me out of the system, demanding I either click "Continue" or "Cancel" (without authentication) to return, is just silly and causes problems with installing older stuff.

So, turn it off.
http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2006/09/20/763275.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: