JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to Set Up Input Selection for ReplayTV ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: How to Set Up Input Selection for ReplayTV ? Reply with quote

ReplayTV's have a button called INPUT. When pressed, it rotates the input from the coax-cable-input to the line1-input to the line2-input to the RF-input and then back to the coax-cable-input.

I do not believe that replayTV has any other way of addressing this input selection (ie no discrete input select advance codes to pick which input is desired).

The Replay is usually used using the coax-input; on line1 is a cable box; on line2 will be a DVD player; and nothing will be on the RF-input.

What is the best way to select the correct input using an extender when there are more than 2 conditions needed (coax/line1/line2/RF) and no discrete input selection advance codes? I have heard of nested toadtogs but have not found any text on how to set this up.

Thanks in advance!
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I'm not sure I follow how you are using your Replay. Putting the DVD player aside for a moment, I would recommend that you split your incomming cable, so that one line goes to the RF-coax input and the other goes to your cable box. Then in Replay's Setup, set all the non-scrambled channels to come from the rf input and all the scrambled channels to come from the cable box. Replay will then chose the correct input itself when it decides to record a program.

If you ever want to watch live TV, all you need to do is select the correct channel from the Channel Guide and again, Replay will select the right input.

Now back to the DVD player, unless you use Replay to time-shift DVDs there's no reason to have the DVD hooked up to Replay at all. Why have any reduction in picture quality when it's not needed.

If you really want the DVD hooked up through Replay, then you're going to have to toggle to the right input.
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Set Up Input Selection for ReplayTV ? Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
What is the best way to select the correct input using an extender when there are more than 2 conditions needed (coax/line1/line2/RF) and no discrete input selection advance codes? I have heard of nested toadtogs but have not found any text on how to set this up.

I don't know if this is the best way, but if you switch to internal tuner,
like channel 02, then each of the inputs RF3Direct, Input1, Input2,
internal tuner, are a fixed number of positions away. Input2 would be:

2, enter, input, right, right

This is on 5040 and you probably need to insert some pauses.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Then in Replay's Setup, set all the non-scrambled channels to come from the rf input and all the scrambled channels to come from the cable box.
Hi Rob!
I tried this awhile back, and I did not have enough memory. The coaxial cable is split, and one split goes to coax input on replay box, the other split goes to the cable box. The red/white/yellow wires then connect the cable box to line1 input on the back of the replaytv. In replay setup I grayed out all the scrambled channels on the coax cable input, then on the line1 input I setup the same cable tv service as on the coax input, and my plans were to gray out all the non-scrambled channels here. the replay box then made a network connection and started downloading the channel guide for the line1 cable box input (pretty dumb because the box already has the identical channel information it needs from the coax input channel guide), but at about 80% of the download, it said out of memory. I have a replaytv 3020 model, upgraded to 120mb hard drive.
so the way it is now, i have to manually switch input to line1 and manually record items if i want to record something. bah humbug Smile
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to Set Up Input Selection for ReplayTV ? Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:
2, enter, input, right, right
very good idea. I also found that jump,input,input,input worked and did not change my channel to channel 2. Rob's way is the best, if only I had more memory. Rob, you have a 3000 series setup the way you mentioned? And it has enough memory?
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I'm baffled at your memory issues. I have my 3060 setup exactly as I described, and it also has a 120GB drive in it.

Maybe you should take this question over to the Replay forums and see if one of the experts can offer any advice. I think your first goal should be to figure out the memory issue.

You didn't comment further on the DVD setup.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
-Thank you muchly for your post. Smile
-Comment on the DVD Issue: The reason I had wanted to hook DVD to replay was so that I could copy my netflix dvd to the replay, then send the dvd back to netflix, then watch the movie at my leisure on the replaytv until the next netflix arrives, then replace the old movie in the replaytv with the new one, etc.
-Question#1: on your setup: do you have your cable box attached to your replaytv via red/yellow/white cable going to back of replaytv's line1 input?
-Question#2: there is a replay tv forum? How lovely, I thought it was just the handful of us over here that still used replaytv. Razz I will search on google for the url for the replaytv forum!

Cheers,
Steve
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:

-Question#1: on your setup: do you have your cable box attached to your replaytv via red/yellow/white cable going to back of replaytv's line1 input?

Yes I do.
usblipitor wrote:
-Question#2: there is a replay tv forum? How lovely, I thought it was just the handful of us over here that still used replaytv. Razz I will search on google for the url for the replaytv forum!

There sure is, here's the URL:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27

(and be sure to notice who the moderators of that forum are! Smile )
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
and be sure to notice who the moderators of that forum are!
I think I know one of them Smile

Ok, am continuing this thread over there.. see you there!

Thank You!
-Steve
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
... The coaxial cable is split, and one split goes to coax input on replay box, the other split goes to the cable box. The red/white/yellow wires then connect the cable box to line1 input on the back of the replaytv. In replay setup I grayed out all the scrambled channels on the coax cable input, then on the line1 input I setup the same cable tv service as on the coax input, and my plans were to gray out all the non-scrambled channels here. the replay box then made a network connection and started downloading the channel guide for the line1 cable box input (pretty dumb because the box already has the identical channel information it needs from the coax input channel guide), but at about 80% of the download, it said out of memory...

Hey Steve,

Maybe it's time to look into DirecTV or Dish... That makes my head hurt and all I have to do is read it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: