JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Working Without a Remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Working Without a Remote Reply with quote

I'm creating a new device for a friend over in Europe. We've both got Kameleon remotes but his is a URC-8060 model and mine is a URC-9960 model.

I can use KM and create everything he needs but if I open IR I cannot paste the KM upgrade unless I have first downloaded from the remote.

Can I just download from my 9960 and then change the remote type to a 8060 and save the file?

My goal is to end up with a WAV file that he can use to update his remote. He's not too good with computers and electronics so I wanted to make this the easiest for him!!

Thanks again!!!

George
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a WAV file that will totally replace the contents of his remote's eeprom or do you want one like UEI normally provides that just replaces the upgrade area?

Either way you should start with the File/New command in IR.EXE to create a fresh 8060 image, and you should paste in the desired upgrades.

If you want only the upgrade area you should make sure the upgrades you paste in don't include any KeyMoves. You should find the beginning address of the upgrade area by looking at the right rdf file and you should find the end of the used portion of the upgrade area by looking at the raw data (if you deleted any upgrades in the course of creating the configuration you may need the "Advanced/Clean upper memory" command to make the end of upgrades obvious). Then the IRtoWav program has an option to generate a wav file for the restricted address range.

If you want the whole eeprom image in the wav file you must use the other tabs of IR to fully configure his setup codes, keymoves, macros, learned signals, etc.
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the best method is to just add a new device to the remote. So later on if the batteries go dead or he changes the code by mistake all he has to do is select code "2020" for his DVD player.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point John was trying to make is that, when you create the WAV file, you have the option of including the entire EEPROM image or just a portion of it.

I would advise that you just convert the upgrade section into a WAV file so that you don't erase any macros and keymoves, etc that he might have programmed. The fact that you don't have a downloaded image from a URC-8060, makes this an especially good idea.

The address of the upgrade section for the URC-8060 is $2F4 through $7FF.

To reduce the size of the WAV file, when you're done creating the upgrades, take a look at the Raw Data panel in IR.exe and see where the upgrades really end.
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, everything is sounding good so far. IRToWAV is asking for the image file but I'm missing how to create that out of IR, especially if I only want to inlcude the upgrade range of 2F4 to 31A.

Perhaps this "image" file is just a text file of the HEX data?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The image file is just the file saved by IR.EXE's file/save command.
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my bad. Files saved in IR are just hex code data. I just created a WAV file so it's of to Europe for testing.

My understanding of this process is that if it's successful he should now be able to select the code which I created for a DVD and his unit should respond to the commands I created.

This should have also left everything else intact and he can choose any of the "stock" codes for his other devices. Since this is being programmed into the remotes EEPROM then it is there for good and can only be erased if someone does a full upgrade and overwrites my new device or someone uses a JP1 and messes around with the remote.

So far I rather impressed with the level of help you guys have supplied me with and the speed in which replies are posted.

Thanks Again!!!!

George
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeIoak wrote:
to Europe for testing.

I hope you figured out how to restrict the address range. If you would like to send me a copy (preferable zipped) of the .wav file I can check it to see if it contains what you expected it to contain, though not of course whether it correctly operates the device in question.
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I just sent you an email with the WAV file zipped
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeIoak wrote:
Thanks! I just sent you an email with the WAV file zipped

I never got it. I hope the one that went to Europe fared better.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your "upgrade2" from the diagnosis folder.

I'm not certain, but I think it's wrong. It looks one byte too short, the last byte it includes is 0322 and I think it needs to include 0323.

It defines a plausible device upgrade, but I think it will mess up the protocol upgrade pointer (because of the missing byte). I'm not sure the messed up protocol pointer will have a symptom, but it's fairly likely.
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll go back and look at the original code, perhaps I put an end address in that was 1 byte too soon
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to post my IR file for you to look at because the range should have been 02F4-0323 which is what I entered into IRToWAV. perhaps IRToWAV has a minor bug or I missed that I needed to add 1 byte to the end address.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for your IR file.

I don't know if it's a bug or just an unclear feature, but I tested IRToWav and I'm pretty sure the "end" number is treated as one byte beyond the last byte to include, rather than as the last byte. So to use it the way you want, you should add one to the value you specify for end.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an error in my program.

It computes the number of bytes to output by substracting the start address from the end address. Obviously, it should have added 1 to get the correct number of bytes.

I will upload a corrected version later, in the meantime you can hust add 1 to the end address to get the desired result.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Alain
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: