JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 not opening remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CindyD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: JP1 not opening remote Reply with quote

I got my assembled JPI USB cable today. I tried to download my 8910 remote and it says "Unable to open device. Please check connection". I have tried new batteries, old batteries and inserting the IDC connector around. I continue to get the same message. I checked the USB connection and the driver and everything is OK. Does anyone have any suggestions. Confused
just4fn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In IR did you set the interface to usb? Just a thought.
CindyD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did set it to USB. After clicking on the (FromRob) remote under IR, and going back to the IR remote icon it now says "SDA is being held low, Make sure batteries are installed in the remote". Once again I tried different batteries and I still get the SDA message.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used a USB cable, but I've had all sorts of problems getting IR to talk to my remote. Sometimes its because of the battery condition, but most of the time its because I've got it plugged in upside down or I've got the plug inserted incorrectly missing a whole row of posts.
CindyD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried plugging it in both ways. I have tried different batteries. I'm sure it is seated on the ports correctly. When I did the connection test with tester.exe it gives "The application has failed to start because jp12serial.dll could not be found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem". I have uninstalled and re-installed several times with no luck.
I just noticed that my 8910 remote says low battery when I insert new batteries and when I plug in the JP1 cable. I don't understand why because I have used several different batteries and even my re-chargable ones.
CindyD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have gotten it to work! Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you do?
CindyD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flipped the cable in the other direction again and it gave me the same message. I took my finger and pressed down on it a bit harder and now it works on my 8910. Embarassed I guess I was afraid to really push down on it.
Ya know, I still get the message from the tester, so I guess the tester isn't working for me.
CindyD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Sony RMT remote for my GX315, that was not too exspensive. Is there a way to get the settings from the RMT to save for future use on a JP1 and to place in the files?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CindyD wrote:
Ya know, I still get the message from the tester, so I guess the tester isn't working for me.
The 8910 uses the standard JP1 cable. I think the tester is for the JP1.x cable, so that would explain why it doesn't work.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a way to get the information to the remote. That's what the key master is for, and someone has already done most of the work for you with the SONY RDR-GX7 keymaster upgrade. This is located in the
FILES section, DEVICE UPGRADES, DVD page 2.

The SONY GX7, GX315 and GX330 recorders have 2 subdevice codes that you'll need for your JP1 remote. What you need to do is learn 2 keys to the remote and then download from your remote to IR so that you know which subdevice numbers Sony used for the GX315. Most of the keys on your original remote use subdevice 1. Learn one of the number keys to get subdevice 1. Then learn one of these keys (Tools, Title List, Timer, Sycro Record, Mark Erase) . These keys will give you your second subdevice number. Then you can upload this information using IR. You'll see the codes you need.

You load the RDR-gx7 keymaster upgrade in Excel, and change the subdevice numbers to match your learned subdevice numbers and assign them to the appropriate key using keymaster, and then you copy and paste your upgrade into IR.

---------------------------------
New subject,
The gx315 is probably able to switch subdevices to keep you from having conflicts with other SONY devices, I know the gx330 and the GX7 both were able to change remote signals to avoid the conflict. You might want to find out what all your variations can be so that you are not depenedent on your SONY remote.
CindyD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to know how to get the settings from the RMT remote. I have not received the RMT remote yet, but I don't think it is a JP1 remote. Is there a way to download from the RMT?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the SONY remote is not a JP1 remote, but you can make your 8910 learn the signals from your S0NY remote, then you upload from your 8910 to IR to find out what your subdevice codes are.

Once you have your subdevice codes you can use the GX7 keymaster sheet to get your remote to get all do all the neat stuff the JP1 remote can do.

I love how easy it is to get the JP1 remote to handle all my equipment. Those Macros are a real life saver. It takes 13 button pushes to change my TV from antena to satelite and back, but with macros its just 1 key press. Its made my life so much easier because the rest of my family is totally technically challenged.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CindyD wrote:
I have not received the RMT remote yet, but I don't think it is a JP1 remote. Is there a way to download from the RMT?
If it's an RMT V303, it's JP1 compatable. However, JP1 does not allow reading any of the built in codes which are contained in ROM. JP1 only communicates with the EEPROM where upgrades are stored.
CindyD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an RMT D223A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: