JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR probe & Digitrace questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeymike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,, i built the ir probe, in fact,, i built 2 of em,, just in case i burnt the first one with my soldering gun. i cant get this thing to work.
im using win 98 se and digitrace. im not getting any errors. when i try to sample, im following the directions for the settings;

Set Trigger Channel to 8.
Set Pre trigger delay to 0.
Set Samplesize to 32768.
Set Sample period to 0.
Set Input Port (Hex) to 378, 278, or 3BC as appropriate.
Set Background and Foreground Color to your preference.
there is no conflict with 0378 on my lpt port.
it doesnt seem to be getting any signal at all .
should i be going to a different forum with this?
thanks,
mike
mikeymike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh,, and when i ground the number 9 pin on lpt1, i get a reading on digitrace.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried CaptureIR?

If it works, I think you find it much more useful than digitrace.

I don't think anyone has tried it yet on win 98. I hope it works. If it doesn't, I can probably fix it.
mikeymike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,, i tried captureir. i downloaded the latest version of java rte. i got an warning message from java saying that my version of xp pro was not supported. i installed it anyways.
i loaded decodeir, and put port talk in the registry and the sys file in /system32/drivers directory. when i start captureir, everything appears fine and i get no errors. when i click "sample" the program closes.
the computer im working on has a dual boot. when i was working with digitrace, i was working in win 98se. ive been using xp pro with captureir. both versions of windows are clean installs (its an old doorstop that i recently put back into service with an amd 2-300 cpu).
im kinda running out of ideas here. if you have any tests i can run to verify that either of my ir probes are good, or anything else for that matter. i would appreciate it.
thanks,
mike
mikeymike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update,,, i uninstalled java 6, and loaded java5 and that loaded with no warnings. i tried captureir again,, and the same thing happens.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeymike wrote:
when i click "sample" the program closes.

Which version of CaptureIR? The one I can support is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3760

That one has a "Start Capture" button, not a "sample" button. I forget what other versions may have had.

If it is my version, the reason it may close when you click "Start Capture" is that is has failed to start porttalk. I'm not really an expert on what it takes to install porttalk correctly.

On systems where I have problems with porttalk or when I want to see extra diagnostic output from CaptureIR, I run it from a .bat file.

I just retested a simple bat file for that, which just contains the line:

C:\Tools\Java\jdk1.5.0_04\bin\java -jar CaptureIR.jar

Of course you would need to change the path to where Java is installed in your computer. The .bat file should stored and run in the same directory with captureIR.jar so it doesn't need a path to that.

Running from a bat file gives you some output that otherwise gets lost. On one system I use, running from a .bat always works, but running by double clicking the .jar often (not always) has the symptom you describe. I don't really know how to debug that because when I can see the printouts from the code that starts porttalk (to narrow down the failure) there is no failure.

There also may be diagnostic output going to CaptureIR.out and/or CaptureIR.err when started by double clicking the .jar file, but not the output needed to diagnose a porttalk failure.

Try from a .bat file and see what output you get. If necessary I'll make a version with more printouts giving details of what happens as it tries to start porttalk.

mikeymike wrote:
if you have any tests i can run to verify that either of my ir probes are good,

Sorry about the difficulty. We may need to address ir probe issues after this. But no ir probe problem could cause the malfunction you describe. Maybe a wrong version of DecodeIR.dll could (I'm not sure) but previously that has always been incorrect installation of porttalk.

I wish I remembered better, but I think a reboot is needed to complete the installation of porttalk.
mikeymike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it appears that java is generating the message i found in my captureir directory. the top part of this message reads as follows;

An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# EXCEPTION_PRIV_INSTRUCTION (0xc0000096) at pc=0x0af220fa, pid=1144, tid=1504
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_11-b03 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C [CaptureIR.dll+0x20fa]
#

--------------- T H R E A D ---------------

Current thread (0x0aba5898): JavaThread "PPortReaderThread" [_thread_in_native, id=1504]

siginfo: ExceptionCode=0xc0000096

i can include the entire message but its rather lengthy.
i think i may need a day off from this project, lol. and you are correct,,, it says "start capture". the version of captureir is prototype12 build 1 and signal decoder 2.33. ill have to work on that batch file, and ill let you know.
i appreciate your time,, many thanks
mike
mikeymike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i created a batch file using the edit command in msdos, i cut and pasted your file and replaced the path to match java on my machine. the file executed successfully with no errors. its still doing the same thing.
have you ever used netmeeting? if you were willing,, i would setup netmeeting on my machine and let you log in with desktop controls and you could look at it first hand. although,, that could turn into a real Rube Goldberg,. i think netmetting uses alot of recources, and as i said, that computer was a doorstop before i brought it back to life..
as another possible option,, i could send the whole shootin match to you,(remote, and probes) and ask you to create a code for me that would work with slingbox (you could also tell me if i got the polarity right on my probes). i would gladly pay you for your time.
i dont mind learning new things, but i dont have a ton of time to devote to my extra-curricular projects. i am a carpenter by trade, and im feeling a tad helpless here, lol.
again, many thanks for your time,
mike
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeymike wrote:
i created a batch file using the edit command in msdos, i cut and pasted your file and replaced the path to match java on my machine. the file executed successfully with no errors. its still doing the same thing.

I don't understand "successfully". Do you mean CaptureIR works and you're able to decode signals, or what? I was interested in the printouts that appear in the dialog opened by the .bat file.

I guess I should have told you to put a pause command after the java command, so you get to see all the printout if the program crashes. I usually have that, but forgot to mention it.

mikeymike wrote:
have you ever used netmeeting? if you were willing,, i would setup netmeeting on my machine and let you log in with desktop controls and you could look at it first hand.

I haven't, but I might find some time soon to try, if you like.

mikeymike wrote:
i could send the whole shootin match to you,(remote, and probes) and ask you to create a code for me that would work with slingbox

I have plenty of probes. If you want to mail the remote and return postage, I'd be glad to capture and decode the signals.

If they decode to anything RM supports and it is a small enough upgrade to fit in a Slingbox, I can do that part too. If it needs asm programming to get it into a Slingbox, I'm not sure I'll have time.

mikeymike wrote:
(you could also tell me if i got the polarity right on my probes).

If you just tell me what part you used and how you wired it, I can tell you the polarity. But If you prefer to mail it, I can test it. I'm a klutz at soldering, so if it needs correction and retest I probably can't.
mikeymike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that the batch file ran without any errors, captureir still does not work. the batch file doesnt hang on the screen long enough to see what its doing.
as far as the ir probe,, i wired it the way it was in the document. with the ir sensor facing you and the wires pointing downward, the right wire goes to pin 1, the center wire to pin 9 and the left wire to pin 25 (pin 25 being the lower left pin while viewing the back of the connector.,. i suppose i could try reversing the two outer wires. i did see mention of some lpt port not having enough voltage (3.5). i have not checked the voltage at pin 9.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeymike wrote:
I meant that the batch file ran without any errors, captureir still does not work. the batch file doesnt hang on the screen long enough to see what its doing.

Sorry about forgetting to suggest the pause the first time. Did you understand that in my last post: Add a second line to the batch file, which says:
pause

mikeymike wrote:
i suppose i could try reversing the two outer wires. i did see mention of some lpt port not having enough voltage (3.5). i have not checked the voltage at pin 9.

Careful, it's easy to burn out the IR sensor by wiring it wrong and you don't yet know it isn't working. First fix the porttalk problem.

I wouldn't try reversing wires, because if it was right the first time reversing may burn it out and if it was wrong the first time it may already be burned out.

Which part number did you get?
mikeymike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a cut and paste from the "how to build an ir probe" document;

The only source I know of for this IC is Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com). The Stock No. is 512-QSE158, and the current price is 70¢. There’s no minimum order but you will have to pay for UPS shipping, so you may as well order the DB25M connector (Stock No. 156-1225, 99¢) and a DB25 hood (Stock No. 156-2025, 65¢).

these are the parts i bought from mouser (except the DB25 hood is on backorder). i bought enough parts to build 2 probes (in case i screwed one up).

no,, i dont know how to write a "pause" in that batch file. this is the batch file i have for captureir,,, "D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\java -jar CaptureIR.jar"
i will try removing everything i have and starting from scratch.. and see where that gets me.[/quote]
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickeymike wrote:
oh,, and when i ground the number 9 pin on lpt1, i get a reading on digitrace.

That indicates you had all the hard part working, and the problem is probably with your probe. I'll test (and repair) your probe for you if you'll send it to me. Send me a PM message giving me your e-mail address.

Tommy
mikeymike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,, i tried reloading everything,,, double checked as best i can. is there anything wierd that this stuff would do to my printer port on my desktop? i use is everyday to print stuff for my business. i guess i will try loading on there and see if there isnt just a bug with this old computer. lol,, whats the worst that can happen?
ill let you know in a bot.
thanks again,
mike
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeymike wrote:
The only source I know of for this IC is Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com). The Stock No. is 512-QSE158,

OK, I think I've seen different versions of the instructions with a different part number. So the part I wanted to know about is QSE158.

mikeymike wrote:

no,, i dont know how to write a "pause" in that batch file.

You just want the word pause on the second line of the .bat file (with what you already have still on the first line). You can open the .bat file in windows notepad, type in that second line and save it.

Whether the probe is working or not, we KNOW the startup of porttalk is NOT working. I hope the printout that you will be able to see with the pause will tell us what is wrong with porttalk (unless one of the other experts here has a better idea how to check whether porttalk is installed properly).

If the probe isn't working, that doesn't necessarily mean it was built wrong or could be repaired. The design of the probe gets power from the printer port and that is marginal. The printer port might or might not be providing enough power. Tommy knows more about that and may have better ideas how to find out and/or deal with that issue.

I had some cheap USB cables that I had no other need for, so I cut some apart so I could steal 5v power from the USB. I use that instead of a printer port pin to provide power to my soldered together probe as well as to the solderless breadboard I use for testing other probes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: