JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sequential remote code transmitter w/MS eHome receiver?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnatGoSplat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Sequential remote code transmitter w/MS eHome receiver? Reply with quote

I'd like to try to determine what device codes and OBC's a device will respond to without the luxury of having the original remote for it. Here's a post about my search.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6905

All I know, is that it uses a Pioneer protocol.

I had an idea about a program that runs on a PC and will transmit IR codes via something like the Microsoft eHome receiver (just because I happen to own one). This program would just need the protocol and could sequentially try all device codes from 0-255 and for each device, would try OBC's 0-255. I could then just let the program go while my device is playing a DVD for example, and then when a function or sound changes, I will know to stop my program and I'd know approximately which device code and OBC it responds to. It would at least give me a good start to building a JP1 code for it.

Anyhow, does such a program exist? If not, does anyone know if there exists SDK's to use the MS eHome receiver? I know it has the ability to receive IR codes and also the ability to transmit.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have any idea what a monumental task this would be. You would have to try every possible OBC for every possible device code for every possible known protocol. That would be several million combinations.

Even if we assume that it uses a Pioneer protocol, Pioneer is very tricky with how they do their remote signals. Many buttons use 2-part signals, where sometimes both the OBC and the device code are different in each half of the signal. So, even if we limit the search to codes that use the Pioneer protocol, there's still probably millions of combinations.
GnatGoSplat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I might just have to break down and drop $50+ on a remote, although all I need it for is to activate the composite output and enter service mode. Sad

I'm almost positive it's going to be a Pioneer protocol. I'm aware of the 2-part signal, but if it's like Pioneer's car stereos, several of the commands will be 1-part and that'd at least give me a start. Once I have the first device code, finding the 2nd one would be a similar process.

I was just thinking 256 devices each with 256 OBC's would be 65536 different combinations. Assume the program could kick out around 4-per second, that would be about 4.55hrs to get through them all. I had written a similar program for the HP48G calculator over a decade ago to do the same thing and it worked rather well, but haven't had one of those for a long time.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it uses the 2-part signal, which I think is likely, there would be 256 possibilites for device1, 256 for device2, 256 for OBC1 and 256 for OBC2

That's...
256 * 256 * 256 * 256 = 4.3 billion
GnatGoSplat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically, yes, but I think that's a worst case scenario. There's a good possibility if it's a 2-part code, the 2nd part may use device 175. Not necessarily, but lots of Pioneer equipment uses device 175 for the 2nd part, including the newer car audio products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: