JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Only one channel on my amp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazzaaa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Only one channel on my amp Reply with quote

Hi... nothing to do with remotes this one, but maybe you can help

Just got my hands on a nice and cheap. lovely-sounding ROTEL amp but only right channel output works.

Have tried changing over input plugs to different input sources, with always same result, same with Source/tape. Every combination gives me right speaker output only

Have tried Remote speakers, same deal

Have tried cranking volume knob up and down vigorously to see if it was just a little gummed up, no joy

Have tried connecting speakers while amp switched on (yep, I'm an amateur!) and some crackle as I connect them, no sound though.

Have tried swapping over left and right leads from input, and changing input source and cable, but always the same

Any ideas would be very gratefully received. Help!
Crying or Very sad

Cheers!
Gary
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as though either the balance is set all the way to the left (elemental error but you didn't say if you'd checked this), the balance connections are loose/broken (internally in the potentiometer or externally where wire should be soldered to it) or the right output jack has a faulty connection. Nice and cheap you say?
gazzaaa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 quid (the RA-820BX3 cost around 300 new in 1989 I heard) and is serving me well as a mono amp for the moment!!!

There are separate L and R wheels on the volume knob, no balance control. Yep checked it.

When I turn up volume on left channel the "silence" gets louder. This plus the fact the left speaker outputs crackled on connection made me think the fault is on the way from the input... but where???!? Confused

Cheers for the speedy reply!
Gary
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nuisance problem would be that the amp is in some sort of "bridge" mode which would turn it into a more powerfull single channel amp. You'd need to research setup modes or carefully read the owner's manual. I don't have any info on this amp. (most of the real Hi-Fi only companies won't deal with the independent service industry or the conventional parts distribution systems)

Try it with headphones (if it has a jack). If headphones sound OK, then the preamp and switching circuits are working, leaving the possibilities in the audio output stage or even a bad (or unsoldered) speaker relay. A novice might be able to resolder a relay: a tech might be able to fix an output stage problem: the Factory would probably need to fix a switching, logic, or decoder problem.
gazzaaa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underquark/Zaphod (Mr Beeblebrox, I presume)

The headphones are the same: right channel output only. Took off the cover and to my (untrained) eye there don't seem to be any loose connections... but where would I stard gently prodding?

As for the other possibility of bridge mode: I'll see if I can get info. Thanks a lot for your help

Gary
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought would be one (of two) pre-out to pre-in jumpers missing (look at the back and some amps have a mechanical switch for that function)

Internal prodding: I'd look at relays (rectangular plastic boxes).
gazzaaa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaphod,

There are no pre-in to pre-out terminals on this machine, and no external switch either.

Relays all took a prod, but the Rotel didn't speak to me. Internal jumpers took a bit of gentle tickling too but alas I have a mono amplifier here. I've ordered a copy of the manual, but I don't think it's gonna be a great help here. The Rotel has a very basic external interface, and in no time at all you've tried every combination...

Cheers
Gary
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any repair shops where you could take the amp to have a professional look at it? If it's something simple it might not cost that much to fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: