JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uk newbie looking for hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highlander317

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Uk newbie looking for hardware Reply with quote

Hi firstly im new to this JP1 but would like to play about with a remote and get it working to its best ability. JP1 seems like the best option at the moment but only looks like a U.S. thing? Did a search in uk engine and found nothing special.

Is it possible to buy a remote and cables etc from a seller via here? Obviously postage is going to be expensive so anyone with any ideas i would be very thankful

Many thanks in advance

Lee
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the first sticky post in this forum - Hi-Fi Remote.com remotes for sale(it's about 15 pages long, but you only need to look at the VERY FIRST POST). Robman, the administrator of this site, has probably the best prices currently available for JP1 remotes, since most NEW OFA remotes are JP1.2, especially the OFA-Europe ones (but of course, none of their advertising or literature will ever MENTION any computer-upgradability features, since this is all a hacking effort). He also ships overseas and I think you'll find the prices are still pretty good.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)

Last edited by Capn Trips on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy OFA remotes in Europe, but from what I hear they are very expensive. You cannot buy JP1 cables in Europe. The cables are only available via mail order and the vendors are located both here in the US and in Canada.

Here's something to give you an idea of what it would cost you to get started with JP1...

1) URC-8910 remote - $20
2) JP1 parallel cable - $15
3) Postage to UK - $9.50
4) Paypal surcharge (if needed) - $2.50

Grand Total = $47 USB (which is about 26 GBP)
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's of any help to you in reaching a decision: I have a URC8040 (Euro Kamelon 4), URC 7562 (about £20 in UK but I got mine for £4.50 off eBay), URC 7560 etc. etc. and the one I tend to use on a day-to-day basis is my 8910 from the US. The lack of built-in codes for some Euro/UK devices (Freeview boxes, TVs with Teletext) just isn't an issue when you use JP1. You could build your own cable for a few pounds. I got mine from Canada.

A URC8910 + cable + postage for £26 is a very good deal and if, for some reason, you don't like the 8910 I could almost guarantee you'd sell it on eBay in the UK for about the same price as you paid.
highlander317

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for the help but is there a USB cable as i have no parrallel connections on my pc. CAnt believe the prices are so cheap have been watching ebay for remotes and the last few ive seen went for 25 uk pounds for just the remote seems much a better idea to buy from U.S. or Canada and get the cable and remote for the same money

Cheers

Lee
highlander317

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at remotes and we liked the look of the kameleons preferably a 8 device remote. would be right in saying that is $86? So with the software is there no problems with adding uk codes to the remote? Just checked my pc and definately no parrallel connection so it must be USB unless there is another way?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only option is USB, so from Rob, you'd pay:
$39.00 for a modified Kameleon (pins added*)
$35.00 for a USB cable, and
$9.50 for shipping
(plus a possible Paypal surcharge if you use a credit card)
for $83.50.

There are other sources, I suppose, but good luck getting all of the bits you need for the same total price.

There is absolutely no problem adding ANY IR code to ANY JP1 remote, unless it is a completely new type of signal, which may require an expert to help decode. "European" signals are just IR, like "American" signals. If you look through the files section, you will find PLENTY of device upgrades already created for "European" AV equipment. Even if these upgrades are not yet present for YOUR specific gear, with a LEARNING JP1 remote (which the Kameleon is) you can learn, decode and build your own. Country of origin is immaterial.

* to explain this a bit. Most "JP1-Ready" remotes have a 6-pin connector installed. The early generation Kameleon is different in that it has a 6-pad connector that is a little trickier to connect to. Rob modifies his Kameleons by soldering in the 6-pin interface that most other JP1 remotes use, and fits the standard interface designs without requiring pogo pin adapters, which are hard to locate and purchase as a standalone item. Also, newer European Kameleons already have the 6-pin connector in them, rather than the pads.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Grendell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Uk newbie looking for hardware Reply with quote

highlander317 wrote:
Hi firstly im new to this JP1 but would like to play about with a remote and get it working to its best ability. JP1 seems like the best option at the moment but only looks like a U.S. thing? Did a search in uk engine and found nothing special.

Hi there Highlander,

Im also a newbie, also in UK. I bought a URC 7562 One for All learning remote from Home Base called a "One for All 6". It has the 6pin connector and I have just soldered up the interface.

The part number for the remote does not appear on the outer packing bit the customer service desk can asvise you which one is which.

Now I need help! when I run the IR programmer prog I get an error that the definition (RDF??) cant be found, hope someone can point me in the right direction!

Graham
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the beginner sticky post(s) (Beginners Read This First - linked in my sig below). It describes all you need to download before you can use JP1. Apparently you have downloaded IR.exe, but you also need Keymap Master OR RemoteMaster, and the most recent rdf files. You must then tell IR what directory contains the rdfs in IR (File>Set Directory). For RM, you also need the latest images and maps file.

Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Market Place forum isn't the best place to post questions.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you do some detailed reading on these forums about the problems experienced with the USB cable, and the goods and bads about Kameleon remotes, before you spend your money.
An understanding of all the plusses and minuses (which you can get here) is a good thing....
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the 7562 is a Kameleon, but e's advice is good.

Amazon Firestick
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just was encouraging him to make an INFORMED decision...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: