JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR 4.0 Learned Raw Data Memory Use Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Structuralist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: IR 4.0 Learned Raw Data Memory Use Question Reply with quote

I don't understand the information in the Raw Data section of the learned signals section. I believe that the amount of information in the "Sent Once When Key is Pressed" and the "Sent Repeatedly While Key is Being Held" is what takes up so much of the Learned memory.
I used the Learning feature to program more than the L keys. I was able to use it on my OFA-8910 to change the use buttons to work with different devices. For example, for my Sony DVD (Sony20) I have changed the use of the Left, Right, Up, Down, F. Rew, Rew, FWD, F.Fwd, L1, L2, L3, L4 and Prev keys. However, this takes a lot of memory.
Are there redundant numbers in the Sent Once and Sent Repeatedly raw data information?
Is there a way to find out if only one number is required or are all the numbers necessary?
If I program the buttons directly using KM and then IR, will this replace the learning device and reduce the amount of learned memory?

Just to give you an example of what I mean, the DVD: Left Arrow under Raw Data has a Frequency of 40000 (don't really understand this unless the frequency changes can be associated to key actions).
In the Sent Once when key is pressed section is the following information:
+1200 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -11396

In the Sent Repeatedly while key is being held:
+2400 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -598 +600 -598 +1200 -598 +600 -11396

Nothing under Sent Once Upon Completion of Other Bursts:

TIA - hope you can help. 8)
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: IR 4.0 Learned Raw Data Memory Use Question Reply with quote

Structuralist wrote:
However, this takes a lot of memory.
Are there redundant numbers in the Sent Once and Sent Repeatedly raw data information?

Learning does take a lot of memory. That's why roughly half of the EEPROM is dedicated to it.

While there may appear to be redundancy in Sent Once and Sent Repeatedly, keep in mind that it's a interpretation of the stored data, not the actual data itself. The remotes are actually very good at minimizing (or would that be maximizing? Confused ) the memory usage of stored learned signals.

Quote:
If I program the buttons directly using KM and then IR, will this replace the learning device and reduce the amount of learned memory?

Yes, you can use the learned signal decode data in the upper right pane where it says Protocol, Device, Sub-Device, etc, to either create Key Moves and/or build an entire device upgrade. Then, you can delete the learned signals.
Structuralist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,
The more I learn the better I like it Laughing It becomes addictive to learn how to make the remote work with all of your favorite devices that don't seem to be supported by easily found advanced codes.
Thanks to all of you who have turned this into a hobby and a challenge. It's a small price to pay for a remote and cable when you have so much power to customize it to work the way you do.

Only trouble is that my wife is not remote literate and it is difficult for her. I ether set the sleep button or leave it on Sat so the TV goes off at a certain time once she starts to watch and all other devices stay on. Is this a guy thing or are there many gals who are into a "One for All" remote replacement (including all other learning devices.

Thanks again,
Dennis (AKA Structuralist)
sic0048

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 8910 and I'm just getting into the programming scene.

Actually, a good update will make the remote easier to use for your wife. Here is some of the things I am looking at programming into my remote.

1 - pressing a device key will turn on all the necessary equipment and change the inputs to run that item. (for example, pressing the DVD device key will turn on the receiver and set it to DVD input, turn on the TV and set it to AUX input, and turn on the DVD player. The active buttons will be a cross of DVD control (transport, etc) and receiver control (volume, surround sound choices, etc).

2 - Pressing the Power button will turn off the current device (ie pressing power when the TV is the current device will turn off the TV).

3 - A long press of the power button will turn off ALL devices.

4 - A long press of the device key button will bring that device back into phase (used when using TOAD power devices which only my Onkyo is).

5 - I want dynamic transport controls - meaning the transport control will always control the last device that uses transport controls. For example - if the DVD player is the control device and I switch to TV control to make an adjustment on the TV - I want the transport controls to still control the DVD player. Likewise, if I'm using the VCR and switch to TV, I want the transport controls to control the VCR).

I am just beginning to experiment with all of these things and I'm not close to getting everything to work, but it has been fun already.

I guess the short story is just to say that you can do incredible things with the remote to make it as easy to use as possible. Just read through all of the README files on the Yahoo File site (ie the ones that come with the IR software, KM or RM software, and especially the ones with the extender software) as well as other posts on this forum. Good luck.

My Equipment:
OFA 8910 - extender 1
Zenith C32V37 HDTV (32" 4:3 ratio with built-in HD tuner)
Onkyo TX-R510 Receiver (6.1 channel receiver)
Panasonic DVD-F85 (5 disc DVD changer)
JVC S-VHS VCR HR-S3901U
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: