JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA8910 - can I find advanced key code from IR learning keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Structuralist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: OFA8910 - can I find advanced key code from IR learning keys Reply with quote

I have a new OFA8910 w/ a JP1 cable. I've used the remote to learn keys from other remotes and wondered if I can retrieve the setup codes via the learned keys.
For example, I have a Sony STR DE425 receiver and none of the Sony setup codes will function the surround sound arrows. I've used up most of the memory for simple remote to remote IR Learning and would like to program keys directly using Keymap-master and IR 4.0 but don't know where to find the advanced codes. It occurs to me that possibly the codes are already in the new remote via the IR learning and can be retrieved.

If this is possible, then can I teach any learning key via IR Learning and then retrieve the code or does it get more complicated? Rolling Eyes

Appreciate any comments or help on this as I am new to JP1 but think I am getting the hang of programing existing setups others have done, but not sure how to find specific advanced keys on my own.

TIA
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: OFA8910 - can I find advanced key code from IR learning Reply with quote

Structuralist wrote:
I have a new OFA8910 w/ a JP1 cable.
Me Too. Smile
Structuralist wrote:
I've used the remote to learn keys from other remotes and wondered if I can retrieve the setup codes via the learned keys.
You can't get the setup code (the four digit code to access the predefined devices in your remote) directly from the learned codes, but you can get the advance codes (three digit codes to control the receiver such as power, input, mute etc; these codes are used as part of the upgrade you can build in KM). Look under the learning tab of IR.exe for the protocol, device, subdevice, EFC/OBC and let us know what you have listed there.
Structuralist wrote:
Sony STR DE425 receiver and none of the Sony setup codes will function the surround sound arrows.
I found two device upgrades in the device upgrades audio folder at yahoo: Sony_STR-DE635_no_DSP.txt and Sony_STR-DE885_Receiver.txt. You can load these (one at a time) into KM with the load button on sheet1 of the spreadsheet and see if they work (after loading into KM, change the remote to your remote in the upper left box, then move the buttons to where you want them on the buttons sheet, then copy the device-upgrade-box and, if it exists, protocol-upgrade-box to IR.exe's similarly named tabs being sure to have previously picked the correct .rdf in IR.exe under the file/select menu, then "upload to remote"). If these device upgrades do not work, there is an excellent sony website that lists all the codes you will need to create a device upgrade at http://www.anycities.com/rhm5757/sony_home.htm . This is actually all much easier than I made it sound, check the beginner's guide if you would like more details.
JP1Files
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OFA8910 - can I find advanced key code from IR learning Reply with quote

Structuralist wrote:
If this is possible, then can I teach any learning key via IR Learning and then retrieve the code or does it get more complicated? Rolling Eyes
That's the general approach we use around here when an new/unknown device is encountered. However, the first step is always to look and see if anyone has already been down this path. You should check the files section in the Yahoo JP1 group first. If that does not produce results, then check the Pronto files over at Remote Central. Tools are available to extract info from Pronto files. If that fails, then you can use the learning approach. Most of the time IR will give you all the info you need from the learned keys, but if not, you can always ask for help here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: